Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 10-23-2013
(Sarah)
Premium Member

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Overland
Default Tucson: Reddington Pass - Chivo area
Got an updated on the Reddington Pass area in Tucson. The "Friends of Reddington Pass" are hosting a meet and greet on the Pass Saturday, November 2, 2013 from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.

Chris and I can't attend but it looks like the government agencies will be out again and it would be great to get the OHV community support out there to help balance the interests of the area. The friends group is trying to restrict all OHV access to popular trails to Chiva Falls and Chiney Rock.

Their email states:

"Plan to join us on the Pass at the new information kiosk, just half a mile east of the lower Tanque Verde Falls trailhead.
Meet up with Friends of Redington Pass, officials from the Coronado National Forest, Arizona Game and Fish Department, and other recreation groups
Learn more about what is happening in Redington Pass
Tell us about your favorite place in the Pass
Fill up your water bottle
Grab a litter bag to clean up while you recreate
Please put the MEET & GREET on your calendar and help us get the word out.

In other updates:

The Coronado National Forest's Final EIS is due out in November and the draft Environmental Assessment for the Travel Management Plan for the Santa Catalina Ranger District should be out toward the end of November. Link to draft: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...m_medium=email

The Coronado National Forest recently issued an extension of the closure to recreational shooting between Mile Markers 5 and 7 as they continue to work on the cleanup of those sites. You can read their press release here.
Old 10-28-2013
Partner

Vehicle: 2010 Rubicon Unlimited
Default Re: Tucson: Reddington Pass - Chivo area
Thanks for sharing Kaspily. Unfortunately, I will be out of town that weekend or I would be going. I would love to talk to them. I want to see if their intent matches their website "...help improve Redington Pass of everyone's recreational enjoyment."
Old 10-28-2013
(Brian)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Off Road Pkg.
Default Re: Tucson: Reddington Pass - Chivo area
Originally Posted by matt@expaz View Post
Thanks for sharing Kaspily. Unfortunately, I will be out of town that weekend or I would be going. I would love to talk to them. I want to see if their intent matches their website "...help improve Redington Pass of everyone's recreational enjoyment."
Unfortunately, with environmentalists, "...help improve Redington Pass of everyone's recreational enjoyment." means shut it down to 4 wheeling and close it off to as many people as possible so that it won't be damaged for the environmentalists, who are, after all, the only people who can truly appreciate it.

With that said, I've seen what's happened to Martinez Cabin over the last several years and I can see why that's closed to vehicle traffic. And, believe it or not, I actually agree with that one. It's unfortunate that a few careless, inconsiderate individuals ruin it for the rest of us who choose to be responsible.