Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Poll Results: What Kind of 4x4 Clinic Interests You the Most?
Absolute Beginner 4x4 Clinic 3 16.67%
Moderate Trails 4x4 Clinic 13 72.22%
Rock Crawler 4x4 Clinic 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

View Thread

Old 11-03-2018
Administrator

Vehicle: All Varieties
Reputation: Offroad Passport is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Kind of 4x4 Clinic Interests You Most?

We're planning to offer a 4x4 Clinic in early 2019, and we want to know which of these interests you?

These are the types of clinic we're considering; please choose one and vote!

1. Absolute Beginner 4x4 Clinic: Learn about the various basic features of your 4x4 vehicle and go on a mild trail ride to practice new techniques. Topics will include the difference between 4-high and 4-low, how and when to shift into 4-high or 4-low, how to read the terrain while driving on dirt roads and easy trails, common trail etiquette, your specific questions and answers.

2. Moderate Trails 4x4 Clinic: Learn about driving on various more moderate level terrains such as off-camber, ledges, rock gardens (creek bed), sand, etc. Gain a better understanding of spotting terminology, hand signals, and 'how to be spotted'. Discussion of the why's and how's of tire placement, sway bar disconnecting, air-up & air-down. Practice new techniques on short moderate trail ride while assisted by trainers.

3. Rock Crawling 4x4 Clinic: Learn how to rock crawl! Discussion and demonstrations will involve reading an obstacle in relation to your rig, going slow and using finesse, when and how to use 'the bump', understanding approach and departure angles, using your lockers. Participants will have the opportunity to practice new techniques on various obstacles while assisted by trainers.

Last edited by Offroad Passport; 11-03-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2018
(JARHEAD) (KE7TOG)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 93 YJ(LM7)
Default Re: What Kind of 4x4 Clinic Interests You Most?
I feel it is always good to go over the basics. I have not driven my jeep in about 10 years, and even with all my previous knowledge, I feel it would be wise to assume I am starting over from scratch. Well I did what was considered hard-core trails before, I don't necessarily have that interest anymore. I just got my jeep running I would like to keep it that way for quite a while. I would like to get my feet wet with the moderate course and see how it goes from there.
Old 11-03-2018
(Darryl)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2017 Wrangler Willys Wheeler
I'd be interested in both beginner and moderate myself. I learned about wheeling from my dad when I was a kid, and times and technology certainly have changed, so I could always use a little brush up on basics like terrain reading and what not.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” - Dr. Seuss
Old 11-03-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Originally Posted by AZRNintheJeep242 View Post
I'd be interested in both beginner and moderate myself. I learned about wheeling from my dad when I was a kid, and times and technology certainly have changed, so I could always use a little brush up on basics like terrain reading and what not.
Please vote so we can gauge overall interest.
Old 11-03-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
I agree with Grunt and Darryl...moderate is good, as it is always good to refresh on basics!
smiles, ladybug
Old 4 Weeks Ago
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

This poll is open until the day after Thanksgiving, so please give us your opinion by voting! This in no way commits you to anything - we're just trying to gauge the groups interest.

Numerous people have asked me when we'd be planning another training day, so this is your chance to tell us what you want to learn! Only 10 people have voted so far, so I'm bumping the tread. Remember: if you don't vote you can't complain when we don't do what you want to do.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
(Dennis) (KF7JCG)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
How about a clinic on "How to build a "Beast" Jeep without spending any money.

Moderate clinic sounds good. Maybe even a basic "Spotter" clinic.

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

The poll will be open until the 23rd, so it's too soon to call it, but it sure looks like most folks want a moderate trails clinic. That would actually be cool for us because it would be the first of it's kind, and BOY do we have a lot of moderate trails experiences and knowledge! The hard part will be figuring out what to leave in and what to leave out.

Go ahead and vote if you haven't!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Warren) (KI7YGV)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I think it would be great to offer both beginner and moderate clinics. There are many people who are new to jeeping, much less, actually using them. I haven’t seen any group offer up any instruction like this in the area. I know several people who do own jeeps and have been on some of the easier trails and really don’t know how to operate the controls or when to use them. As a person gains familiarity with their rig, along with confidence and experience, they will more than likely, want to seek out more learning opportunities. Then, the moderate trails clinic would benefit them for sure.

Remember...Where ever you go, there you are.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by GreenJKr View Post
I think it would be great to offer both beginner and moderate clinics. There are many people who are new to jeeping, much less, actually using them. I haven’t seen any group offer up any instruction like this in the area. I know several people who do own jeeps and have been on some of the easier trails and really don’t know how to operate the controls or when to use them. As a person gains familiarity with their rig, along with confidence and experience, they will more than likely, want to seek out more learning opportunities. Then, the moderate trails clinic would benefit them for sure.
We did an Absolute Beginner Class one year and it was very well attended. We want to teach one clinic at a time though, so it's why we're asking for input, and want to know everyone's current interests. Looks like the moderate trails clinic is going to win out this time, but we can certainly do the beginner one again next time.