Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 09-03-2018
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited
Default Re: 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Build
The summer was pretty crazy between a full time job, summer school and traveling. I didn’t get too much done on the Jeeps as the garage was too hot on most days. However, a huge store room of parts has been collecting over the last 2 months for both the ZJ and XJ. I’m pretty excited for it to start cooling down as it’s more motivation to get the Jeeps rolling for some wheeling!

Some of the bigger stuff being done on the XJ is the following. All parts have been ordered and just need to be installed.
- Rubicon Express 4.5 inch coils
- Rubicon Express adjustable lower control arms
- Moog coil spring isolators
- JKS Quick disconnects
- Bushwacker flat style fender flares
- Cooper STT Pro 295/70/17
- Pro Comp Series 7089 17x9 “5 spoke” alloys
- Denso AC compressor
- Replacement AC condenser, with hoses and accumulator
- Accel coil and distributor cap
- Moog replacement drag link

Things to be done in the next 3 months:
- Order and install Bluetop steering box
- Order and install steering pump, reservoir and hoses
- Order and install Boostwerks steering brace
- Rebuild NP241 with SYE
- Adams Driveshaft for rear
- Hopefully front and rear bumpers

I’m still looking for a 1997 or 1998 4.0 preferably out of an XJ to do a bench rebuild. Once the bench rebuild is done I will hopefully swap it out with the original 4.0 in there. It has been running flawlessly the last few months, but as it is approaching 270 000 Miles I can feel it’s getting tired. I actually ordered a new timing chain, oil pump, rear main seal, front main seal (timing chain cover) and oil pan gasket as it is leaking oil at all three spots but I decided against it as the time spent replacing those parts I would be better off just putting them on a new engine.

Last edited by adriaanvn99; 09-03-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2018
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Finally cooling down to low 80's at night again
Old 09-09-2018
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

Beat the heat this weekend and mounted the Bushwacker flatties in the front. I got the new tires mounted on Friday at our local BigO. I am pretty happy with the way things turned out. I am hoping to get the rear done throughout this week/weekend. The tires are 295/70/17 Cooper STT Pro's mounted on a Pro Comp Xtreme 17x9 rim with a 4.75" offset.

XJ3.jpg
Old 09-12-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
looking good! the new flares, black rims, and big clean tires all work well together.
Old 09-13-2018
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
looking good! the new flares, black rims, and big clean tires all work well together.
Thank you sir!
Old 09-13-2018
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

Just ordered a PSC SP-1205C steering pump with reservoir. This is a supposedly better rebuild than your parts store replacement pump. I phoned Ryan at Blue Top Steering gears and they just sent out their last XJ pump for the week. They should have more next week and I will order then.

My electric cooling fan seized up this past week. I went with a Mishimoto 10 inch slimline fan as a replacement. I have no idea if it is going to work but it will be worth a try. The stock fan is supposedly rated at 530cfm, whereas the Mishimoto is rated at 950cfm.

I ordered a Viair 88P to chop up and mount as a permanent onboard air in the back of the XJ. Its not ideal, but for $60 it will be a decent option as a permanent mount for air. I will be making a bracket to mount it flush in the cargo area and running a wire directly to the battery and through a rocker switch in the center console switch panel. It is rated at 1.47cfm, 120psi max and a 20A draw. From online reviews, it can fill a 33" tire from 20psi to 35psi in roughly 2.5 minutes. Maybe one day I will switch to the ARB onboard air system for air and to control selectable lockers hopefully
Old 09-13-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
I like the new look of your XJ.

Question: I may have read it wrong, but do you intend to run the entire electrical load of the compressor thru your center console switch? Do you know how many amps the compressor draws and is your switch rated for that?
It might be better, and would be simple, to wire a relay into the circuit to better handle the load. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-13-2018
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
I like the new look of your XJ.

Question: I may have read it wrong, but do you intend to run the entire electrical load of the compressor thru your center console switch? Do you know how many amps the compressor draws and is your switch rated for that?
It might be better, and would be simple, to wire a relay into the circuit to better handle the load. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you!

Yes, the max draw for the compressor is 20A. My rocker switch is rated at 25A, but I luckily have a relay box under the hood (30/40A) which runs the electric cooling fan and flush mount LED's up front. Thanks for the sound advice
Old 09-17-2018
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

Got the fenders done. I also picked up some shiney new parts that I will try! Teraflex Revolver shackles; reviews are on and off about them so I thought I would give them try. They seem like a well built unit, but performance will be the ultimate deciding factor.

CF94424F-12FC-4718-80DE-30A2AAAADBDD.jpg

922F9BB1-E566-4A1E-A302-D7A19F09C5E9.jpg
Old 09-22-2018
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

All the parts are here to start replacing the steering system on the XJ. Everything looks like good quality, besides the JCR steering spacer... the one mounting hole bung was not welded on directly over the opening on the plate, which means the bolt cannot go straight through as it catches on the edge. I will be returning it and most likely getting a C-Rok spacer.

A91A5E58-2D87-4EB9-A8EB-2E71771361C1.jpg

14F1590E-4EFA-4435-AD1C-F43D7A0C8CB9.jpg

019C59E4-ACD8-416B-9AD3-7D749B052B09.jpg