Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-11-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
finally found out what a noise i'd been hearing at full flex was... the yoke on the axle end of my front driveshaft is just grazing my engine skid. i need to fix that later today.
turns out i'd have to do some decent cutting and welding on the current engine skid to fix the rubbing, and i always considered that little skid just a temporary cheap solution... so i decided to take the plunge and get the Clayton engine skid and their crossmember that it mates with.

i do eventually want to run the entire Clayton skid system. i like how it makes the whole underside smooth, replaces the factory gas tank skid instead of just adding to it, and doesn't cover any more of the engine/exhaust area than necessary (so heat can still escape).

all their skids are also 1/4" steel. even though i try to be extra conscience of adding weight to the rig, skids and rock-rails have to take a real beating and so those are the areas i'm willing to deal with the extra weight of steel.

Old 01-12-2019
Basic Member

Vehicle: 05 Jeep LJR
How much is the Mopar coolant?

I've used the Zerex in my '05. In fact, I should think about changing it out this spring.
Hard to believe, how many are still using the green stuff in everything these days.
Seems they never even think to pick up a owners manual.

Last edited by Zeep; 01-12-2019 at 06:33 AM. Reason: add content
Old 01-15-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
How much is the Mopar coolant?

I've used the Zerex in my '05. In fact, I should think about changing it out this spring.
Hard to believe, how many are still using the green stuff in everything these days.
Seems they never even think to pick up a owners manual.
i bought the pre-mix version out of laziness and the nearest dealership charged me just under $22 per gallon (knocked down from about $28 after some flirting with the dreary parts-counter lady).
Old 01-15-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Gadget and her POS 3.6L is back at the dealer. it has a very pronounced ticking coming from the passenger side.

it seems like the noise is up in the head and it's just as loud at idle as under load. i guess it could be an exhaust leak from a cracked header, but it sure sounds more like metal hitting metal to me.

i also noticed the air filter is absolutely soaked in oil where the breather tube exits onto it (just changed it for the standard 5k mile period). would that indicate blow-by which would be a completely separate issue?

also she's at 63k miles, so this will be the first test of the aftermarket extended warranty we purchased - fingers crossed that it covers this!
Old 01-16-2019
(George)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: Number 7
Gadget and her POS 3.6L is back at the dealer. it has a very pronounced ticking coming from the passenger side.

it seems like the noise is up in the head and it's just as loud at idle as under load. i guess it could be an exhaust leak from a cracked header, but it sure sounds more like metal hitting metal to me.

i also noticed the air filter is absolutely soaked in oil where the breather tube exits onto it (just changed it for the standard 5k mile period). would that indicate blow-by which would be a completely separate issue?

also she's at 63k miles, so this will be the first test of the aftermarket extended warranty we purchased - fingers crossed that it covers this!
Hope all goes well.
4:88 Gears / Super 35 Rear
Dana 30 Front w/ Warn Hubs
TeraLow 4:1 T-Case
OX Lockers

Every Dog Has His Day!
Old 01-16-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Old 01-16-2019
(Adam)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Rubicon
Kris,

Let me know what you come up with. I'm having a similar sound coming from mine as well.
Old 01-16-2019
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
i bought the pre-mix version out of laziness and the nearest dealership charged me just under $22 per gallon (knocked down from about $28 after some flirting with the dreary parts-counter lady).
This made me laugh out loud! You schmuzerr!

This makes me so sad. Poor Gadget. I hope the extended warrenty picks it up - it certainly should! I used to think extended warrenties were just a cash cow, and I never ponied up for one. But these days it seems like you really do need one if you're going to keep your car longer than 3 years. January has used the hell out of hers, and we're so thankful she bought it (the extended warrenty, not the mini). :fingerscrossed:
Old 01-16-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Rubicon 18 View Post
Kris,

Let me know what you come up with. I'm having a similar sound coming from mine as well.
from my understanding, all the 3.6L have a little bit of a tick when they first start, especially if it's cold. but it should go away within a couple minutes and not be particularly loud. if you have a very discernable ticking all the time, then you might have the same problem i do...

i got a brief voicemail from my service advisor and i have a bad rocker on the exhaust side in the passenger side engine head. the extended warranty is covering the replacement completely and it should be finished tomorrow.

a little research indicates that it's somewhat common for a rocker arm bearing to die in these engines (skip to 2:16 to see the actual failed part):

my warranty will not cover the PCV valve, which they say is the reason for all the oil on the air filter. i told them i'd take care of that myself, but then found out that it's a giant PITA on the 3.6L in the JK - so, i'll call them in the morning and if they haven't put it all back together yet then i'll pay them to do it.

Old 01-17-2019
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Those PCV valves ain't cheap either
At least you should have it back in time for the weekend.. Hip Hip Hooray for extended warranties!