Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 11-28-2016
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Yarnell Memorial Trail
I found this in the AZ Republic today concerning the memorial trail that opens Wednesday in honor of the Granite Mountain Hotshots.

http://arizonarepublic.az.newsmemory...reid=0818c8ab7

It looks like an interesting trail and appears to be very respectfully constructed.

BTW: The provided link may not work for very long. I've had trouble with some links I've saved from their site not working several weeks later. Your results may vary.
Old 11-28-2016
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Default Re: Yarnell Memorial Trail
The link to the AZ State Park web site and a much better article on this trail

http://www.granitemountainhotshotsmemorial.org
Old 11-28-2016
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
I read the article this morning too Jim....Heads up for those who are interested in the trail...it is 3.5 miles one way, 1100 ft elevation gain...and round trip takes 5-6 hours, depending on how long you pause and read plaques and all. I know they chose this trail because of bureacracy (cheaper than buying the property right of ways to go in the easier way), but I also think it good that they chose the way that best emulates the trail that the firefighters took...the hard way.

God bless them and the work of all firefighters.
smiles, ladybug
Old 11-28-2016
(Paul & Brenda) (KJ7AKZ)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota FJ
Thank you. Never forgotten.
Old 11-29-2016
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
It's wonderful this came to fruition.
Old 11-29-2016
(Virgil) (K7VZ)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
When are we going?
Old 11-29-2016
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

I'm in as soon as my eye heals.

Seriously, I'm going, maybe January? I usually end up hiking alone but having company would be great. More people would allow us to car pool from Yarnell to the trailhead.

The trail may be popular at first, so parking, especially on a weekend, may be a bit tough at the trailhead. AZ state park page says parking for 15 vehicles. In my experience that assumes people park like the designers intended, it's worse if it's a dirt lot.
Old 11-29-2016
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Advanced Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
I'm in as soon as my eye heals.

Seriously, I'm going, maybe January? I usually end up hiking alone but having company would be great. More people would allow us to car pool from Yarnell to the trailhead.

The trail may be popular at first, so parking, especially on a weekend, may be a bit tough at the trailhead. AZ state park page says parking for 15 vehicles. In my experience that assumes people park like the designers intended, it's worse if it's a dirt lot.
Jim,
It's not a dirt lot, but the number of parking spaces are indeed pretty limited. It's basically a widened spot on the downgrade portion of US-89, coming from Yarnell.

While I have not done this hike, I have watched the progress of it's construction, and IMHO the hike will be just shy of strenuous, due to both the altitude, and the steepness of the grade up the south-facing side of the hill from the parking lot. I would not myself even consider attempting it in the summertime.

I have no doubts that this route was selected primarily because of the large number of private properties that are between the site of where the remains were discovered, and any reasonable access from US-89 in Yarnell itself.

The folks who own the closest property to the site, which was where these 19 hotshots were attempting to reach as the "safety zone / safe haven", were completely over-run overwhelmed with the requests to access from those who had viable reasons to access the site, and the literal hordes of those simply morbidly curious, many of whom trespassed to gain access to the site.

Having personally withness that scene, I have no doubts that the cost of purchasing the many properties necessary to provide "simpler" access was not in the cards. FWIW: I was asked to be available to provide transportation to at the site of where the remains were found a few days after the fire, to assist family members of those who perished, and who wished to visit the actual site where their loved ones remains were found.

As for me... Having seen it and remembering the pain & anguish of the family members and the community, I have no desire to return.
Old 11-30-2016
(Loren)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Well said!