Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 02-08-2019
(W7REY)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 12 JGC
Default Re: Crawler Conceptz Ultimate Series Aluminum JK Front Winch Bumper & Smittybilt X2O Winch Install
Really impressed with your skills Kris!
Old 02-18-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Crawler Conceptz Ultimate Series Aluminum JK Front Winch Bumper & Smittybilt X2O Winch Install
Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
Looks awesome! Painting it was the right choice.
Originally Posted by reybie View Post
Really impressed with your skills Kris!
thanks guys!
Old 02-18-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
i took this picture showing the factory lower front crossmember when i first test fit the bumper because i was already contemplating what to do with it...

a lot of folks cut it off, some weld something back higher up, others just leave it...

i was all set to just leave it alone but as soon as i had the old bumper and plastic air dam off it suddenly became a rock magnet. the first time out with it showing and i ended up gently tapping some boulders on there!

anyway, it didn't seem very sturdy and was sure to become a pretzel before long - so chop chop!

a sawzall with a quality metal cutting blade made easy work of it, then i used a grinder to clean up the rough edges a bit.

i added an Expedition One Rubi Skid Plate in its place.

the skid works on any JK, but it's named "rubi" because it has that little dip for the Rubicon sway bar disconnect motor - you do have to flip the motor (which i had already done), but the skid comes with the required bolt for that mod.

i had to cut out a long notch from the front of the new skid so it would clear the Crawler Conceptz winch mounting plate.

removing the factory crossmember not only gives some additional clearance, it cleans up the look.

this might seem like a drastic change, but the "real" main forward crossmember that ties the frame rails together sits just in front of the engine, hidden from view. with the new winch plate, new bumper and this skid all bolted in, i'm really not worried about any loss of frame rigidity.
Old 02-25-2019
(Paul & Brenda) (KJ7AKZ)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota FJ
I am an ARB guy. What kind of strap would you recommend in sand, snow, mud?
TRD CAI & TRD CAT-Back, NITRO 4.56 rear diff, ATRAC, factory rear locker, 3” ICON Stage 2, ICON 700lbs. front springs, ICON Overland Series Dual- Rate rear springs), ICON Uni-ball Tubular Front UCA, Total Chaos Racing Front LCA, Metal Tech Offset Rear LCA, ARB Front & Rear bumper, ARB Roof Rack, ARB Fridge, ARB diff breathers, PRG Snorkel, Warn M8000 winch, IPF lights (roof rack & bumper), BudBuilt full skids, All-Pro kickout sliders, Method Race Wheels, 285/70/17 Cooper MTP Mud Terrain, Magellan TR7 Offroad GPS, IAS CO2 tank 10 lbs.

Old 02-26-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by curbjumper View Post
I am an ARB guy. What kind of strap would you recommend in sand, snow, mud?
ARB makes a quality snatch strap. Bubba Rope also has good yank ropes in various strength ratings and lengths. you should probably wash and let dry any strap/line after use in mud.

one thing i didn't know till recently is that tow/snatch/yank straps should never be used with winching. they are meant to stretch and recoil which helps with a momentum type pull, however...

with a winch pull you don't want any stretch as that can create shock loads many times the rating of your equipment. use synthetic winch line extensions, or else winch extension & tree straps that are made from 100% polyester to minimize stretch (instead of nylon).