Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 04-25-2012
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Food New "Yukon Cold Locker" rugged/extreme coolers from Igloo
Looks like Igloo is now offering something to compete with the Yeti and Engel extreme-duty type coolers:

http://www.yukoncoldlockers.com/

Old 04-25-2012
(Mike) (KF7OGY)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 1991 YJ
Default Re: New "Yukon Cold Locker" rugged/extreme coolers from Igloo
nice!
Old 04-25-2012
(Jon)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Very cool. Where do they sell these?
Old 04-25-2012
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
i know sportsman's wharehouse and cabela's carry the yeti or similar, they may carry these too...

you could buy direct from igloo, but probably not the best price: http://www.igloo-store.com/products/fullsize/yukon

i have no idea how they compare to the other brands in terms of price or performance, i just wanted to share that there was a new option available if anyone was in the market for a super high-end cooler instead of a fridge.
Old 04-25-2012
(Jeff)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2001 WJ Limited
Reputation: UnderlyVerbose is an unknown quantity at this point
So, what's everyone's opinion, uber-cooler or fridge? I imagine more benefits with the fridge, but the cooler costs less. How much ice would it take to make up the cost?
Old 04-25-2012
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 TJ
Having a Jeeping experience with both products, my preference is a 12v/120v fridge ....

They are pricey, but then so was the lift kit, tires, electronics, front and rear bumper, etc, etc .....

It is just another part of how I wanted to configure my Jeep for expeditions .....

My rough calculation indicated that it would take a least 5 years before I would see
any pay back of any amount .....

My $.02
Old 04-25-2012
(Jimmy)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee zj
I totally understand upgrading to an onboard fridge, but I don't get how a cooler could be worth 700+ bucks. I can't imagine it's that much better than a fourty dollar one? Then again I haven't had a really long expidition yet either.
Old 04-25-2012
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

i have no personal experience with yeti/engel/yukon coolers, but i have been told that they do keep ice for a true week, even with opening and closing. i know for a fact that the best 7-day coleman coolers will not stand up to a week's expedition with more than a few ice cubes left, even with dry-ice added.

the Yeti cooler 45 qt is $300 whereas an Engel, Arb, or Waeco fridge of similar size is around $800.

looking at these numbers - i decided to go with the "budget" fridge, Edgestar. the 43 qt Edgestar is nearly $500, but very often goes on sale for closer to $400. one thing to remember though is that unless you travel some everyday (to re-charge), you can drain a typical Jeep battery in a single hot day with a fridge. some claim 2 days, but unless you travel with people that you know can jump start you, then you're going to want to also invest in a portable jump box or dual battery setup... sort of a hidden extra cost for the fridge. (or a solar panel of good quality and high output and a charging regulator - nice and renewable, but expensive too.)

the reality is - if you typically only do 3 day expeditions, then a fridge or "extreme" cooler is just not necessary. you can even pull off a week by using dry ice and a regular cooler and taking plenty of dry/canned food instead of items that must be kept absolutely cold. however, the other reality is that the 12v fridge/freezer is my single favorite luxury item... never again having a dripping wet can of soda, or listening to water slosh around, or ending up with bag of water-soaked lunch meat or a cooler of mayonnaise flavored ice - these are things that make a man smile after a few days on the trail.
Old 04-25-2012
(Jimmy)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee zj
The fridge seems sweet! I want one I just gotta figure out where I will put it.
Old 04-25-2012
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 TJ
Just a word of caution in regards to using dry ice:

TRANSPORT DRY ICE IN YOUR VEHICLE TRUNK OR TRUCK BED. Leave windows open for fresh air circulation. Never leave dry ice in a parked passenger vehicle. Sublimation of dry ice in a closed passenger vehicle can result in the accumulation of dangerous concentrations of asphyxiating carbon dioxide vapor. Dry ice can be safely transported without special ventilation in the closed cargo area of a truck if all occupants are restricted to the cab. When opening a closed cargo area containing dry ice, allow the closed space to ventilate for 5 minutes before entering.