Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 08-20-2012
(Jeff & Katie)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 89 4Runner
Toyota Jeff's 89 4Runner
I figure its about time I post up the history of my truck somewhere - why not here!! I've had it a little over 8 years and have done alot to it, mostly in the past few years, but still........

Some general stats on the truck: 1989 SR5 4Runner, 3.0 V6, 5 speed trans, 163k miles when I got it from the original owner; as of today: 199,820...sooo close

Here we go:

These pics were taken 2 days after I picked it up (2004). I litterally brought it home, gave it a real good once over - everything was top notch so I took the top off and away we went - first stop: Box Canyon in Florence:

Right away I realized those cheapie street tires wern't going to get me very far so headed to Discount Tire for some Goodyear MT's and picked up a Downey Bikini Top:

Then some 4XInovations tube doors:

Bought some trailer mirrors from Pep Boys and made mirror brackets from leftover junk I had laying around in the garage:

A Sonoran Steel IFS Truss(2006):

Bud-Built Crossmember/skids(2007):

after market locking center console with front AND rear cup holders:

Cut up the UCA's to fit a set of 1.5" SDORI BJ Spacers:

The world famous ZUK himself installed the Detroit Locker (2008):

And while I was there, we went ahead and installed the necessities for his famous ZUK mod rear springs:

Had some sliders made by Brandon over at Avid Offroad in Queen Creek:

Mounted the 60" HD Hi-Lift to the roll bar(which has since been reloacated):

Acquired a custom rear bumper from a friend - and I'm still rockin a 1970's coleman steel cooler (2008):

Toyota "TEQ" bottle opener in the middle of the spare tire mount:

Got a custom front bumper from the same friend who made the rear a few months later:

Upgraded to a 33x12.5x15 from 31x10.5x15 last summer(2011):

New 15x8 rims with correct back spacing (3.75") to elminate the need for the 1" spacers:

Right after the 33" tires, had to regear - so my friends over at Sierra Expeditions put in some 4:88 Nitro Gears for me.

Just a few weeks ago I got myself a new Softopper canvas top:

Some gratuitous pics from our trip to Saguaro Lake on Saturday (8/18):

Other mods: 1" 4Crawler (Roger Brown) Body Lift, 1" diff drop, converted the auto hubs to Asian manuals, full Old Man Emu suspension including steering stablizer & T-Bars, ISR removal/K&N cone filter, URD Short Throw shifter, rear seat heater removed to make way for center console, rear carpet delete, removed rear interior pannels for added storage, trash-a-roo, made some quick disconnect door hinges so I can swap the tube doors in seconds, Cobra CB/firestik antenna. I'm sure there is more but thats all I can thing of right now.

Things laying around yet to be installed: Trail Gear Diff armor, new gas tank skids, u-bolt flip kit; modified stock dashboard with molded in clinometer and passenger side grab handle

Wish list/future mods: 3.4L motor swap; some kind of transfer case gear upgrade, still need to research; chromoly rear axle upgrade; rear disc brake conversion; maybe a Blazeland long travel suspension

Thanks for looking - I'll add changes as they happen - feel free to ask anything or give advice - I am in no way a mechanic or know-it-all - actually, I'm an Accountant - so any input you have will be greatly appreciated!!
Cecil - 1989 4Runner SR5: Rebuilt 3.0 V6 w/upgraded cams, bored .30 over, ported & polished, balanced crank, Doug Throley Headers & custom exhaust w/ high flow cat, Bosch 4 port fuel injectors; Factory R150f manual trans w/Marlin Crawler 1200 lb HD clutch, Marlin Crawler built t-case with 4.7 crawl gear; Custom fab'd SAS: 85 4Runner front axle, Trail Gear diff armor & truss, Longfield Chromoly axles & birfields w/ factory Toyota eLocker, FJ60 brakes; Detroit locker in rear; 5:29 gears; Old Man Emu leaf springs in front, 57" leaf springs in the rear; 315/75/16's (35's); Custom sliders and front & rear bumpers, Softopper, Tube doors, Bud Built Skids

Nameless 2017 4Runner SR5 Premium Daily Driver: 4.0 V6 auto; 2.5" Bilstein lift w/OME FJ rear springs; 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers

Last edited by lofreqjeff; 08-20-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2012
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Default Re: Jeff's 89 4Runner
What a cool truck!
Old 08-20-2012
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
thanks for sharing - seems like you planned your mods well and it looks very capable!
Old 08-20-2012
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 "War Wagon"
Nice, always like those rigs.

Old 08-20-2012
(JARHEAD) (KE7TOG)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 93 YJ(LM7)
Looking good!
Old 08-20-2012
(Ken)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1979 CJ7
Hey Jeff. The 4-Runner is looking great. Ken.
Old 08-20-2012
(Jeff & Katie)
Premium Club Member

Thanks everyone! And Thanks to Ken for introducing me/us to offroad passport!
Cecil - 1989 4Runner SR5: Rebuilt 3.0 V6 w/upgraded cams, bored .30 over, ported & polished, balanced crank, Doug Throley Headers & custom exhaust w/ high flow cat, Bosch 4 port fuel injectors; Factory R150f manual trans w/Marlin Crawler 1200 lb HD clutch, Marlin Crawler built t-case with 4.7 crawl gear; Custom fab'd SAS: 85 4Runner front axle, Trail Gear diff armor & truss, Longfield Chromoly axles & birfields w/ factory Toyota eLocker, FJ60 brakes; Detroit locker in rear; 5:29 gears; Old Man Emu leaf springs in front, 57" leaf springs in the rear; 315/75/16's (35's); Custom sliders and front & rear bumpers, Softopper, Tube doors, Bud Built Skids

Nameless 2017 4Runner SR5 Premium Daily Driver: 4.0 V6 auto; 2.5" Bilstein lift w/OME FJ rear springs; 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers
Old 08-20-2012
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Looks pretty sharp... Welcome...
Old 08-24-2012
(Ryan)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 1992 Toyota 4 Runner
Default Front and Rear Bumper
Hey i was just curious about your bumpers, i like the look of them a lot and have been wanting to get a set for my 92 4runner. what did they cost you and who did them?
Old 08-24-2012
(Jeff & Katie)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by rlangston85 View Post
Hey i was just curious about your bumpers, i like the look of them a lot and have been wanting to get a set for my 92 4runner. what did they cost you and who did them?
I got them from a friend who had made them for his 86 4Runner. He was basically parting out his truck in various stages and I got the rear bumper from him 3 years ago or so for $100 - then 2 years ago he gave me the front for $200.

Depending on what part of town you live, I have some friends who have a shop in Queen Creek that do custom fab work. They did my sliders and even welded them on for me too. Then they did full custom armor for my buddy's 87 4Runner with front & rear bumpers, sliders, skid plates - the whole 9 yards.

Their shop is called Avid Off Road.

info@avidoffroad.com

Their website needs some updating, but the info is still accurate:
http://www.avidoffroad.com/#

If you contact them, ask for Brandon or Ted and let them know you got their info from Jeff LaBelle

Thanks