Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 08-16-2018
Administrator

Vehicle: All Varieties
Reputation: Offroad Passport is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Last Cinders Event (at the Cinders, at least)
Well folks, sorry for the last minute announcement, but we, The Offroad Passport Team, made a last minute decision.

This year's Cinders Event will be the LAST Cinders Event (AT the Cinders). We plan to continue having some sort of big annual party to celebrate Offroad Passport's Anniversary; however we feel the need to change things up. We want to go somewhere else, do something new, and we're not sure whether the raffle and games will continue.

The Cinders is always a blast, and we've really enjoyed brining it to you all these years! We appreciate everything each and every one of you has contributed over the years; The Cinders is a product of many great ideas and talents from countless members! It's been real!

Looking for some inspiration, insight and ideas, for new venues and stuff to do, so post 'em if you've got 'em!

Old 08-16-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Default Re: Last Cinders Event (at the Cinders, at least)
I'm sure we can come up with ideas!! Are we still looking at mid-September, since this is an anniversary?
smiles, ladybug
Old 08-16-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
I'm sure we can come up with ideas!! Are we still looking at mid-September, since this is an anniversary?
smiles, ladybug
Our anniversary month is actually in August, and the event used to be at the end of August. But then we realized we needed to wait until after August 31st to be sure everybody who entered the Member Appreciation Drawing got their name in the bucket (since we're out of cell range up there, we can't check it at the last minute). And then it got pushed up because nobody wanted to go on Labor Day weekend. And then it got pushed up because nobody wanted to go the weekend after Labor Day weekend since they already had Monday off.

Originally, way back in the day even before we started Offroad Passport, we chose this group site because it was cool enough in August, and we had the ramadas in case it rained. One time it rained a lot while we were there, and people moved their tents under the ramadas.
Old 08-16-2018
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 97 Jeep Wrangler
Dead Horse campground in cottonwood. Close to Sedona trails, Mingus, Smiley rock,etc. Very nice campground.
Old 08-17-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Dead Horse campground in cottonwood. Close to Sedona trails, Mingus, Smiley rock,etc. Very nice campground.

I've wondered about that place; never been there. Is it cool in August? I've also thought about campgrounds at one of the lakes in Prescott.
Old 08-17-2018
(Jeff & Katie)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 89 4Runner
Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
I've wondered about that place; never been there. Is it cool in August? I've also thought about campgrounds at one of the lakes in Prescott.
Sounds like we need an exploratory camping trip soon! I've camped at Granite Basin lake in Prescott, but its been 8 years or more since I've been there. Katie and I have been thinking about going, maybe we'll have to make that happen sooner than later and come back with a report.
Cecil - 1989 4Runner SR5: Rebuilt 3.0 V6 w/upgraded cams, bored .30 over, ported & polished, balanced crank, Doug Throley Headers & custom exhaust w/ high flow cat, Bosch 4 port fuel injectors; Factory R150f manual trans w/Marlin Crawler 1200 lb HD clutch, Marlin Crawler built t-case with 4.7 crawl gear; Custom fab'd SAS: 85 4Runner front axle, Trail Gear diff armor & truss, Longfield Chromoly axles & birfields w/ factory Toyota eLocker, FJ60 brakes; Detroit locker in rear; 5:29 gears; Old Man Emu leaf springs in front, 57" leaf springs in the rear; 315/75/16's (35's); Custom sliders and front & rear bumpers, Softopper, Tube doors, Bud Built Skids

Nameless 2017 4Runner SR5 Premium Daily Driver: 4.0 V6 auto; 2.5" Bilstein lift w/OME FJ rear springs; 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers
Old 08-17-2018
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 97 Jeep Wrangler
Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post

Dead Horse is probably not a good choice in August, I was thinking a Sept. date when I suggested it.

White horse lake, just south of Williams would be a good choice. They have a group campground, lots of forest trails all around, though nothing technical. Devon and I have been camping there since we were dating. Very nice lake and area. About 7k ft, so lower than Cinders, but higher than Prescott.

This is a view of the lake from the regular camp area. Group camp area is just out of sight to the upper left of the pic.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg 100_2063.jpg (59.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-17-2018
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 TJ
Ditto on White Horse Lake
Old 08-19-2018
(Darryl)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2017 Wrangler Willys Wheeler
How about something near Prescott area? Close to Jerome where there is 2 trails listed in the Wells book. Plus lots of other stuff to do in and around the area.
Also, Kaibab Lake is a nice area too and the campground there can accomodate up to 60+ people