Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 06-04-2013
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2007 HEMI Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, Big Horn Edition
Dodge My Modest Dodge Rig
Recently picked up this 07 HEMI Ram 1500, Quad Cab, 4X4, Big Horn Edition:

She currently has 34" Toyo Open Country's on her. The goal is to make it a very capable all around exploration machine for my family. It will be setup for decent offroading, camping, hunting and fishing.

My plans (in no particular order):

moddest suspension with slight lift/level
35" tires
very unique built in compressed air system (details on that later)
built in A/C power
2 climate controlled dog kennels
built in cooler
larger fuel tank
rack for jerricans
built in tool box
built in tie down box
built in storage box (for items like tent, tarps, sleeping bags, etc)
built in rack for shovel, axe and pick axe
beefy brush guard
lots of extra lighting front, rear and sides
winch system
tow hooks front and rear
exterior speakers for sound system
table that expands from the tailgate
roof rack for extra storage

Many of these items will be pinned/bolted in the bed for somewhat easy removal to allow full use of the truck bed. Everything will be lockable. I am sure more "redneck" items will come to mind over the next year of building but this is a basic list that gives you an idea of the direction of her. She will not out perform anything in any one concept but she should be capable to do a lot of things.
Old 06-04-2013
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My Modest Dodge Rig
you've peaked my interest with "climate controlled" kennels ... will these be heated/cooled only when the truck is on, or are you planning a generator too?
Old 06-04-2013
Basic Member

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
you've peaked my interest with "climate controlled" kennels ... will these be heated/cooled only when the truck is on, or are you planning a generator too?
That really is the issue right there. I would really like them to be cooled (not too worried about heated at the moment, that will be easy to tackle anyway) even while the truck is off. However, I cannot think of a "practical" way to accomplish this. I have several ideas but haven't worked out all the details on any of them yet. Lots of research ahead of me.
Old 06-04-2013
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by HEMI Kyle View Post
That really is the issue right there. I would really like them to be cooled (not too worried about heated at the moment, that will be easy to tackle anyway) even while the truck is off. However, I cannot think of a "practical" way to accomplish this. I have several ideas but haven't worked out all the details on any of them yet. Lots of research ahead of me.
i asked because i had i researched auxiliary air conditioning units once and found that even the tinniest RV roof mounted ones draw more power than would be feasible for battery-power. there are some even smaller marine units that are low BTU and DC hookup, but even they seem to draw so much amperage that you'd likely still need a generator - or else a very large solar setup and battery bank. one such product: http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=80972

maybe an out-of-the-box idea like a dry ice based cooling unit that could last a couple days without any power...

can't wait to see what you come up with for all your planned mods!
Old 06-04-2013
Basic Member

Thanks for the link and other ideas. I had acually thought of a dry ice/fan style system as well. All of my ideas are out-of-the-box style and there for likely not to work...lol. However, there is no rush with that particular setup. Our two dogs actually fit on the floorboards of the rear seat. One is a 70 pound black lab and the other is a 25 pound cattle dox mix....so for the lab it is a tight fit but he doesn't mind. My youngest boy is in a booster seat so his feet barely rest on top of our lab. The other dog just lays beside my oldest boys feet on the floor.
Old 06-04-2013
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Nice truck - looks like you've got a lot of projects ahead of you. As for the kennel coolers, have you considered a Mr. Swampy Cooler? http://www.swampy.net/

We have one of these portable units, and you wouldn't believe how well they work. Not so much when it's humid, but when it's dry out, you'll get all kinds of cool! Just an idea to add to the bank... Good luck with your mods!
Old 06-05-2013
Basic Member

Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
Nice truck - looks like you've got a lot of projects ahead of you. As for the kennel coolers, have you considered a Mr. Swampy Cooler? http://www.swampy.net/

We have one of these portable units, and you wouldn't believe how well they work. Not so much when it's humid, but when it's dry out, you'll get all kinds of cool! Just an idea to add to the bank... Good luck with your mods!

Awesome....thanks for the link! Fortunately......humidity is not really an issue here...lol.
Old 06-06-2013
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 "War Wagon"
It will be fun to watch another full size getting built, next time home mine gets the next series of mods. HIGHLY recommend upgrading to some slider steps like I have on mine, with our wheel base you will drag occasionally. I already put mine to use on the holiday run when a boulder broke loose off the hill and rolled under me.

Interested in front receiver hitch at all? Make you a good deal, only mounted on my old Dodge a couple months.

Old 06-10-2013
Basic Member

Originally Posted by GOTMTNS View Post
It will be fun to watch another full size getting built, next time home mine gets the next series of mods. HIGHLY recommend upgrading to some slider steps like I have on mine, with our wheel base you will drag occasionally. I already put mine to use on the holiday run when a boulder broke loose off the hill and rolled under me.

Interested in front receiver hitch at all? Make you a good deal, only mounted on my old Dodge a couple months.

Yep....sliders are high on the priority list. Though I am gonna have my welder buddy help me make my own. Thanks for the offer but I don't really need a front hitch yet.
Old 06-11-2013
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 "War Wagon"
Mine are custom, would never buy bolt on again.