Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-07-2016
(JARHEAD) (KE7TOG)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 93 YJ(LM7)
Default Diesel drive train life span
Good day outdoors people!
I was wondering if anyone can give me a credible expectancy of the lifespan for a new diesel drivetrain, in a new pickup. I am at a junk here now where I need to replace my truck, and it works with the budget. We cannot afford two car payments so I have to cycle between vehicle payments. I like to keep vehicles for a long time, & I am hoping with a diesel drivetrain I can keep it even longer. I know there was a time or diesel drive trains ran significantly longer than a regular gas drive train. I understand that with proper maintenance both drive trains can be kept for a long time. I am also aware of the cost difference between the two. In the future I foresee a need for an heavy duty pickup to pull a trailer so my family can go camping. If I am spending that much money I would rather have a diesel drivetrain then the 6.0 liter gas. Is it safe to assume that you can get over 300,000 miles out of a diesel drivetrain with proper maintenance? GMC is running a promotion now for almost 20% off of 2015 models, to make room for their 2016 that are coming in. With the discount I can get the HD diesel pickup for the price of the 5.3 liter gas drivetrain.
Old 01-07-2016
(Chris) (KI7FVF)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2006 GMC Sierra Z71
Default Re: Diesel drive train life span
I cannot speak for a 2015, but I know many people with the 6.6 Duramax getting well over 200,000 on their trucks. Most of these people I know regularly put it in 4x4 as well. Only issues I hear of are small leaks and little fixes. Nothing that'd have it parked on the side of the road.
Old 01-07-2016
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
My father-in-law had 240k miles on his 2002 Dodge with the Cummings Diesel when I last saw the truck. The only major repair I know of is that the torque converter was changed about a year ago. The truck was used to pull a 5th wheel from Michigan to Florida every year for much of its early life. The last 5 or 6 years it is has been his snow plow truck as well as his daily driver.
Old 01-07-2016
(Loren)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Diesels were designed for commercial use and as such, can have a long lifespan if the preventive maintenance is performed regularly. I used to work in the motor coach industry and it was not uncommon to get 400k out of a Detroit motor. the PMs were done like clockwork especially the air filters and synthetic oil was used after break in. We'd regularly sent off oil samples for analyzing as well and that would indicate any potential problems before they occurred. Usually somewhere between 400-500K, the block would get sleeved and it would be good for another half million miles.
Old 01-17-2016
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Allen,
I'm pleased with my '03 Dodge. It just a couple weeks ago, passed 376,000 miles. It is an '03 Dodge Ram 2500, Quad Cab, 2WD, Auto, and the 5.9L-TD Cummins which I have owned since new in Sept of 2002. Other than normal consumables (batteries, tires, belts, filters, one water pump, front brake linings, etc), the only maint expense exceeding a few hundred $'s has been the fuel injectors replaced @ approx 365K.

My records show that it currently has just over 170,000 miles of that 365K having been used for towing some configuration of a trailer of at least 5000 lbs. Approx 50,000 of that 170K has been pulling assorted trailers (enclosed 6x12 uhauls, open flatbeds for motorcycles, quads, dune buggies, trash dumps, construction materials, etc), and approx 120,000 of the 170K, pulling larger trailers up to ~12,000 lbs, such as RV's of either a 5th wheel or bumper pull configuration, a 25 ft cabin boat, a variety of loaded car haulers, etc..

My goal is to try for 1,000,000. Time will tell...
Old 01-17-2016
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2004 TJ & 1980 CJ
You may get it 5.9 are able to be overhauled! Just install new sleeves and pistons and your back to factory tolerances. best light duty engine made!
Old 03-22-2016
Basic Member

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
In my idea, as long as it was maintained/serviced regularly and never abused the drive trail would last longer than the engine it self.