Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Ryobi 18v Cordless 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum
i received Ryobi's new small wheeled 18v vacuum for Christmas and really like it for typical work area clean.

the main selling point for me is it's 80 CFM suction which rivals some corded vacuums. that's a substantial upgrade from this old model, which i always found convenient but underpowered:

the tip-wheel design lets you just pull it by the hose and the little dude will easily follow you along as you clean up.

my only complaint is not with the tool itself, but the overall package. Ryobi cheaped out on the included accessories. it only comes with a rather stiff 7ft black hose and 2 attachments (crevice & narrow floor tool).

fortunately it's a fairly standard 1 7/8 hose setup that is also used on some Ridgid, Craftsman, Dewalt and others. i purchased a brush attachment and car nozzle from Amazon right away.

i also found the included hose too short to even reach into the Jeep's back seat easily, so i swapped it for this 10ft Workshop heavy duty hose. note all the pictures above show it with the longer hose, which still stores nicely on top of the vacuum.

the 18V Ryobi 6 Gallon Wet/Dry vac is available at Home Depot as just the bare tool for $99, or in a package deal with a large 9AH battery and basic charger for $159.

summary: overall it's a highly usable and convenient vacuum but there may be more complete packages from other companies worth considering if you're not already invested in the Ryobi 18v line.

Last edited by theksmith; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:38 AM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Re: Ryobi 18v Cordless 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum
Cool Kris, thanks for posting this.

Speaking of Ryobi tools. I assume that you still are a fan of last Xmas’s 1/2 impact you received?
Have you tried the 9AH battery in your 1/2” impact? I was curious if there was a noticeable increase in torque or performance.

I used the older model Ryobi 1/2” impact model last week while helping a neighbor put a leveling kit on his F150.
My 3 year old, 4AH battery, made a very noticeable improvement in the tools performance over the 2AH that he had been using. Maybe his battery was getting weak but he said it was less than 2 years old and it was fresh off the charger.

Just curious

Last edited by jgaz; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:20 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ryobi 18v Cordless 6 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum
hey Jim, still have the impact wrench and use it almost every time i work on the Jeep!

i only got the bare tool vacuum, so i don't have a 9AH battery to try yet...

i'd be curious to know if the 6AH or 9AH delivered more instant-current than the 4AH as well. however, they seem a little large for use in the hand tools.

Ryobi only publishes the Amp-Hour spec on their packs as far as i can tell, but seem to indicate the 4AH versions and higher (labeled as HP) also have more instant-current delivery potential with marketing like "Lower resistance battery cells for maximum power delivery" and "Get the most performance out of your tool with the included 18-Volt ONE+ 4Ah High Capacity Battery which improves the performance of ONE+ tools up to 35%".

FYI, i also got a Home Depot gift card for Christmas and used it to buy the brushless Ryobi 4 1/2 grinder and i'm impressed! their old blue & yellow 18v model was nearly useless IMO but this new brushless version is on-par with the corded model.

i've only used it a couple times (with a cut-off wheel both times), so i can't comment on run-time yet. however, in terms of sheer performance, brushless technology is absolutely amazing.

EDIT: the reviews for this grinder aren't nearly as good as my experience so far... not sure why such a discrepancy. the 2 jobs i used it for were to cut and grind on some 1 1/2" by 1/8" steel (miter corners and smooth/round edges) and to cut through about 6 steel stakes (1/2" bar).

Last edited by theksmith; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:39 AM.