Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 10-04-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Originally Posted by mesach View Post
I’m right you just don’t know it yet.
well, you might be one day
Old 10-04-2018
(john)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon
Something electrical
Old 10-04-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by johnpa View Post
Something electrical
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/50a6f64...8-dbb19b2a4038
Old 10-05-2018
(john)
Premium Club Member

Thanks
Old 10-05-2018
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I want to play...
With all that wiring, my guess is that it is a security system.
Old 10-07-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by HeyOK View Post
I want to play...
With all that wiring, my guess is that it is a security system.
kinda!
Old 10-08-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Thumbs up Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
fixed a few minor annoyances...

stiff pedal

my friend Chris (defectivemonk) told me about the throttle pedal spring mod. i always felt the drive-by-wire pedal on the JK was overly stiff, so i was all about this. unlike the originator of that mod, i just completely removed the inner spring instead of replacing it - feels just right to me now.

i may also eventually try something like the Pedal Commander module to change the travel/sensitivity.

wandering carpet

the carpet in the front of the Jeep to want to shift around often, causing it to come untucked from the trim at the edges. a while back i screwed a couple of the little plastic nubbins that the mats clip to right down into the floor pan, and that solved most of it.

the center would still come out from under the dash occasionally. adding these little black washer & nut combos onto the OEM studs that stick out just below the dash seems to have finished solving the issue.

do-over

earlier this year i also added a BOLT hood lock and modified my Rugged Ridge grille insert to work with it, but didn't like how it looked. i finally decided to undo all that and use some black stainless locking hood latches instead.

i can't recommend these latches for most people... the mini cam locks in them were really generic junk, so i bought nicer locks with actual cut metal keys from eBay and swapped them in. the latches are also very tight and would be hard to open for anyone with limited hand strength. the BOLT lock was probably more secure too - i was primarily just concerned with stopping hood flutter myself.

they are very sleek compared to the factory latches though, helping clean up the front end look IMO.

candlepower

finally, a more obvious change - some very cheap new headlights. i'm actually quite pleased with them and will post a writeup/review soon. black hold-down rings were added at the same time.

here's the new latches, replacement grille, and shiny new lighting stuff all together:

also the mystery electronics project ran into a delay but should be finished later in the week.
Old 10-08-2018
(john)
Premium Club Member

i was right, it is an electronic thing a ma bob
Old 10-08-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Old 10-21-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

random bits..

• unfortunately one of those eBay headlights i was so happy with started to fog up. so i ordered the Pro Comp version from allensoffroad for $265 shipped. as long as they last longer than those eBay ones, that's still a great deal for this style headlight IMO. they do have a lifetime warranty at least. UPS says they'll be here Monday!

• my secretive electronics project is nearly complete, crazy long writeup here: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5514

• check this out - i went for a quick romp near my house (Lake Pleasant area) the other day and it started to absolutely dump rain, quickly turning the trail into a stream!

i had crossed this wash in exactly the same place 45 minutes prior and there was barely a trickle then!

• replaced my factory horns with a set of PIAA "Superior Bass". they are only slightly louder than factory, but a nice low tone - seems more like a real 4x4 now instead of a car.

i was able to mount them in the factory locations with just a small bend to one of the OEM brackets. these are low amp draw and so they don't require any extra wiring or relays like an air horn would - pretty much plug & play.