Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 09-13-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My New to me 2015 JKU Rubicon
Originally Posted by mesach View Post
I was too impatient to wait for the black ones, and ended up getting the carbon fiber ones. I can still take pics if you want them, I do like how they work, but my only complaint is that the way I sit and drive, my leg is up against them, which is sort of annoying, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.
i'll probably just order the one for the dash then. that's the only spot with the netting that i actually use for anything, but it suddenly got too stretched out.

did you get the stereo or anything else installed? pics! pics! pics!
Old 09-14-2018
(Marc)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
did you get the stereo or anything else installed? pics! pics! pics!
Stereo not yet, haven't had time to try and understand the wiring let alone tear the dash apart to install it. I did install and run the backup camera I got, and tomorrow I'm taking it in for an oil change so I'm going to ask them to enable the backup camera in the stock radio in the mean time (just backed up into the pilar this morning in the structure and put a tiny dent in the bumper).

I have installed the camp light, but not powered it (no time yet and I want to install a switch and need to figure out where to put it) and so far, I'm not happy with the 3m adhesive dots they provided, there are just 5 spread across the thing and there is a slight curve to the glass so it really only connects solidly at the two end points and the middle dots all don't stick. Even though they are the high bond dots, they don't really stick well, so I'm going to remove them all, clean it w/alcohol wipes and use 1/2" 3M VHB tape along the whole thing, that should ensure that it will never ever come off.

haven't installed the rock lights yet, the headlights I need to re-do because the wiring that came with it wasn't long enough so I had to order and extension for the drivers side headlight halo's so I can move the control module to a better position instead of front and center, I also had to order adapters for the fog's because they didn't have the correct connector which was really lame considering it was for the Jeep...

And I need to go on a shopping trip for camping stuffs so we can Sleep in the Jeep (tm) when we go up north to SF at the end of the month.

I'll get pics of it all when I end up re-doing it.

BTW, did you ever install the bestop drivers seat storage box (or any other one)? I'm wondering how you stopped the clunk sound when you take off at a light because I know if you did install it that it would drive you nuts just like mine does to me. I'm thinking a small rubber bumper at the back of the drawer to put a tiny bit of pressure on it to keep it in place, but I haven't gotten under to figure out how to pull the entire box out to put the bumper on (again, time... but i'll probably get to it this weekend).
Old 09-14-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
sounds like any typical Jeep modding experience... i can never finish anything on first try because i always need one more part or have to change some other thing first!

on that under-seat drawer - yes, of course i had to fix that clunk! i mounted a small magnet inside the housing so that it holds onto the back end of the drawer when it's closed. i think it was a 10 or 20 pound rated little countersunk disc kinda like these..., small enough that i can still easily pull the drawer open with the key as the only handle.

IIRC, i mounted the magnet right to the inside rear of the housing and spaced it off from there with a couple washer so that it would just reach the back end of the drawer when fully closed... or i might have made a little L bracket to hold the magnet, i can't member - gettin old!

i also removed the stop so i can take the drawer all the way out to rummage through it.
Old 10-08-2018
(Marc)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon
So, I can’t recommend the sunpie RGB headlights I bought. 2 days after my return window I noticed that both headlights and one of the fog lights have issues with the RGB halos, one fog light has more leds out on it then are actually working correctly.

I wasn’t eeally happy with the RGB aspect of it after discovering that I really should have RGBW because the “white” setting is actually baby blue and not white at all its not even a high temperature white, it’s fully blue.

Now I’m just concerned that the headlights will stop working when I need it most, sooo I’m on the look for some better ones, I’d still love to have some RGB halos and might go with the oracle setup but I might just not care about the halos and just go HID.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-11-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

some comparison shots of a few of the more well known brands: https://www.jkowners.com/tech/lights/

i think the Morimoto Super7's are probably the best HID available, but i'm not quite sold on the styling myself. you can easily add quality halos, demon eyes, and color match the housings even: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...eadlights.html

the ole JW Speaker's 8700 Evolution J2 series have been the reigning champion for LED ones forever. they recently dropped in price a lot, so i'm guessing a new design is coming soon.

i just bought some $50 eBay-specials as an experiment! they seem to be a chrome no-name copy of the Pro Comp (they might all be made by Genssi). i also had to spend $60 on the Rigid harness/adapters to get the high beams to work. i'm really happy with the beam pattern and output - but considering the price, i won't be at all surprised if they fog-up, yellow, or just die tomorrow!

in fact i like the output/pattern so much, i'll probably get the Pro Comp version if these do die. the Pro Comp have a lifetime warranty and an H13 connector, so supposedly no adapters needed. i saw a site offering a coupon code that got them down to $270 for the pair.

you might also look at the Gravity and Gravity Pro by KC HiLites, and the Truck-Lite/GE/Rigid style too. i also think Delta is making some OK ones with halos, but i don't know if there's an RGB option or just white.
Old 10-15-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

ha, well my experiment with the cheap headlights has ended rather predictably - noticed one of them fogging up a bit this weekend! i guess i'm going to be ordering the Pro Comps, though i did actually like the all-chrome style of these cheap ones. usually i'm all for blacked out, but for some reason i just like them all reflective!

FYI - the best deal on the Pro Comps i can find right now is $255 with free shipping from here (add-to-cart for real price): https://www.allensoffroad.com/LED-Li...ProComp-76402P