Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 1 Week Ago
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Camera Roctoberfest 2018, Kingman AZ
We just got back from Rocktoberfest in Kingman, AZ. The event consisted of 3 days of trail rides and a Friday evening meet & greet downtown. The event was really well attended; the first day there were 12 rigs, day 2 there were 13, and 12 on the last day. Offroad Passport was well represented as stockjeep (Wayne & Gwen), maddogjeeper (Dennis & his friend Randy), ChrisD (Christian) and George & I in Clifford were all there.

George and I drove up there on Wednesday, on the tail end of the rainy weather brought to us by hurricane Rosa. It hadn't rained a drop in Kingman by the time we got there, so we were thankful for the dry conditions since we were there to run difficult trails. That all changed during the night when it literally poured for a couple hours.

Day 1 Devil's Dip & Serendipity - Devil's Dip is an easy trail ride from Hualapai Mtn. road headed west over the foothills, ending up on the road alongside Serendipity. Serendipity is a difficult trail that continues to elude even the most seasoned wheelers. The gatekeeper was substantially more difficult since the last time I was there, and it was wet to boot. Everybody had a hard time on it, a lot of people had to winch out of it, and one guy flopped his Jeep! Seeing what a booger-ed up mess it was, George by-passed it. The group made it to the last bailout spot before the very upper reaches of the trail late in the afternoon, and it was decided to go on home. That's the fourth time G & I have run Serendipity, and we've still never run it to the very end.

On the way down Hualapai Mtn. Road

Airing down with Kingman in the background

Washed out section of Devil's Dip reminded me of Mud Springs Trail

Descending the other side almost to the wash that Serendipity is in

Wayne on the gatekeeper on Serendipity

Maddog on gatekeeper

One of the guys with Bullhead 4 Wheelers in his super flexy TJ (I LOVE his Jeep!) took a novel approach, climbing high on the wall on the right

This is one of the other guys with Bullhead 4 Wheelers; it was just a slow rollover and he wasn't hurt. We got his Jeep winched back over quickly

Wayne & Maddog each taking separate lines on the next waterfall

George going up on the left

This picture was taken from on top of the second waterfall, with ChrisD coming up it

This was our second opportunity to wheel with Joan Beck from Bullhead 4 Wheelers. She is a very nice person and her Jeep is just amazing! Very fun to wheel with her and her group

Continued...
Old 1 Week Ago
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Default Re: Roctoberfest 2018, Kingman AZ
Awesome Pics Di!!! Thanks for sharing!!
smiles, ladybug
Old 1 Week Ago
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

On Friday - Day 2 of Rocktoberfest - we ran Hard Ass; a trail close to Oatman, AZ. It's appropriately named, as it's the hardest trail I've done in Kingman, and rates right up there with the most difficult trails I've done anywhere!

A lot of the obstacles required a winch to get up. The locals always keep the last Jeep close enough to winch the next guy off of. It starts at the pre-gatekeeper filter, followed by the gatekeeper waterfall, followed by countless other nameless crazy obstacles. Lots of pucker-moments throughout the day as we inched our way up the wash.

Tourist stops on the way

Pre-gatekeeper-filter

Gatekeeper

Random stuff from up the wash:

Somewhere along the route I was driving when I slid off my line into a giant rock on the driver's side. Luckily my window was down or it would have been destroyed like the mirror that I landed on. To get the Jeep away from the rock without causing damage to the door or other windows, we started out trying to winch me off a rock on the other side of the wash. But the rock was no match for Clifford, and it broke off. So one of the Bullhead 4 Wheelers brought his Jeep back to where I was, and winched to my roof cage, leaning Clifford away from the rock as I moved forward. Just as I was free from the rock, I popped the outside bead on the driver front tire. So George and crew set about getting a bottle jack in there so he could get the rim off the ground enough to pull the tire back into place and pump it up. Whew!

It's funny; this doesn't even look like an obstacle. Boy what a sleeper - everybody danced around on this one a bit!

This is the final obstacle on the trail. Again, it doesn't look like much on film, but it was a tricky one!

It was a long hard day!

Continued...
Old 1 Week Ago
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

I forgot mention that I wasn't the only one to slide off the line into the rock. Maddog lost his Ham radio antenna mount (sorry no picture), and our friend Larry from the Kingman group lost the driver side window on his TJ hardtop.

Before & After

Old 1 Week Ago
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

On the 3rd and final day of Rocktoberfest, we were originally scheduled to run Pig Iron Trail; even more difficult than Hard Ass! But everybody was pretty tired (and feeling kind of beat up), so at the meet & greet Friday night, the event leaders decided to change the venue for Saturday.

We ran Safelite trail instead, and it was a really nice day. This was my favorite trail of this event, and I want to go run it again sometime. It's back in the Hualapai's going up a wash that supposedly runs a stream year round. The obstacles are milder than the trails we'd already run, and most of them have go-arounds. There were several waterfalls that everybody went around, and one area where only a few rigs went through. At the end of the trail we went out of the wash to a shelf road that took us back down to Blake Ranch Road and I-40.

Nobody attempted to go up this waterfall, but I guess they have in the past.

And that was a wrap of the event! It was a lot of fun to run these trails; we had a great group of people. There were no mechanical failures throughout the event, and only the small amount of trail carnage you saw.

Hats off to the organizers and leaders of Rocktoberfest 2018: Wayne Welch, ChrisD, and Ric Swats. They did an outstanding job of planning and keeping the group moving on these extreme trails. We had a wonderful time and are looking forward to going back to Kingman to run trails!

P.S. Going through photos G and I couldn't help but notice these two in the background of a series of takes:

Here's some eye candy for you:

Old 1 Day Ago
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Great pictures. Thanks for posting, Diane !
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....