Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Default Re: 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Build
I have the c rok brace. They’re nice & beefy
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited
Productive weekend for the XJ! Installed the JKS quick disconnects, RE 4.5” springs, replacement Moog coil isolators and new adjustable RE lower control arms. I was never happy with how far back the axle was seated in the well housing, so I adjusted the lowers to 17.5” which is essentially 1” longer than the recommended 16.5” length for a 4.5” lift. I adjusted the upper control arms until I had a 7° caster angle. I’m really happy with how the wheel is seated within the wheel housing now. The ride is much better than before, as I had a horrible caster angle due to fixed length lowers.

I have a big trip coming up this weekend so it’s importsnt to get a few of the smaller things out of the way. It’ll be the first longer trip up north for the XJ which is pretty exciting. I got a site for 2 nights at Cave Springs campground in Sedona. I plan to do Schnebly Hill and Broken Arrow trail as of now.

60F43158-2994-44B2-AA04-AE6818E30249.jpg

242F496D-ABB1-4F29-A300-4E17D59AAC43.jpg
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
have fun on your tip!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
have fun on your tip!
Thank you sir! I’m hoping to get some cool footage for a trip report...

Hi Lift Rear Seat Mount:

A Hi Lift jack to me personally is kind of one of those white elephants, where you’ll need it at the most random time. Although very useful for a wide variety of different things, it’s always a mission to mount it securely and out of the way. Earlier in the thread I mentioned a method where you can mount it under your rear seat, but that required cutting away some of the bellhousig middle member of the body. I later stumbled upon a mount which mounts behind your rear seat of the XJ made by River Raider . I decided to give it a shot. It just arrived and I just installed it, and I’m pretty happy for the most part. The Hi Lift seats securely behind the rear seat, and it provides options to install other things onto it too. I mounted my Fiskars shovel with fist clamps onto the handle of the Hi Lift. Pictured is also the ViAir compressor I installed, which I didn’t even end up having to make holes for. I used the stock spare wheel mount and the holes were already tapped into the frame. The new cargo liner also neatens up the trunk area a bit.

096FD508-D3C4-4A2C-89FD-3BE6FE08FFC2.jpg

67AE198C-08D4-4E4E-A8E5-25D79A9B6E57.jpg

New Ram mount installed in the dash area. Secures an iPhone 8 Plus very well (5.5 in screen)

0A48754E-0D93-43B5-9740-93C75274E5E6.jpg

Last edited by adriaanvn99; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:52 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

I've been on the hunt for a portable floodlight setup. I decided my best option would be to build my own from good components. I found everything on Amazon, and for just under $50 it turned out pretty well. I used the following:

- Hella LED Floodlight
- Blue Sea Systems 12v plug
- Magnetic base mount
- Cable sleeve
- 6ft 18ga wire

All connections were soldered and heatshrunk for a secure fit. This is the first time I have used this cable sleeve and it works surprisingly well, the "braided" effect pulls taught, gripping around the wire giving it a nice sturdy feel. The output of the light is a bright white, and the pattern is not too much of a 'flooded' effect. The one thing I have realized is that after an extended period of us (my case was 3 hours plus) the heat sink on the back got pretty hot, as in you could hardly touch it.

IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6893.jpg
Old 1 Week Ago
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

Very pleased with the XJ's performance on the most recent trip. A regear to 4.56 gears will definitely have to be done soon. With a cargo in the back I struggled a little bit up the mountain grades. I am also going to be exploring roofrack options too...

Latest trip report under the "Trip Reports & Photos" section

12.jpg