Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 10-10-2018
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited
Default Flagstaff - Schnebly Hill - Cave Springs - Broken Arrow
The XJ's first longer trip was overall a great success. My friend in his JK decided to tag along, and it was quite an operation to get the vehicles prepped for the trip. We ended up rebuilding the JK's driveshaft on Saturday night as the centering yoke on the slip yoke eliminator had failed. The trip started off with taking the i17 North up to Flagstaff. I knew of a dispersed camping spot called Freidlein Prairie. It is a pretty area on the base of Mt Humphrey, and is fairly accessible. On the way down it even started snowing, which was a great surprise!

From there we headed back down the i17 South to Schnebly Hill road. The views were spectacular as usual, and with the very recent rain storm the road was covered in a thick mud. A lot of sections were washed away a good amount, making for a bumpy ride. Once down in Sedona we headed up the 89 North to Cave Springs campground, where we had a site. As we setup for the night it started raining again, but the tall trees provided great coverage.

This morning we headed to the most exciting part of the trip, Broken Arrow trail. I have always heard good things about it and it certainly did not disappoint. The traffic on the trail was pretty heavy for a Tuesday morning, but nothing unbearable. The sun just popped out behind the clouds as we went through the gatekeeper, and the washed rocks were a sight to see.

I can highly recommend this trip to all, and considering it was a 2.5 day trip you certainly get good value for your time! Happy trails...

1.jpg
Gassing up in Flagstaff

2.jpg
Trees are changing color for fall

3.jpg
XJ on the forest road

4.jpg
Checking clearances on the JK's long arm setup

5.jpg
JK and XJ in the trees

6.jpg
XJ in the snow!

7.jpg
Airing down for Red Rock country...

8.jpg
One of the many mountain stream crossings

9.jpg
XJ posing nicely

10.jpg
Managed to find a small weather window to get the drone airborne...

11.jpg
Start of Broken Arrow

12.jpg
XJ on a descent right before Devils Staircase
Old 10-10-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Default Re: Flagstaff - Schnebly Hill - Cave Springs - Broken Arrow
Sounds like it was a fun time. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing them! The XJ looks awesome.
Old 10-11-2018
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Love the snow pic!
Old 10-11-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
some great photos there - thanks for posting them!