Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 2 Weeks Ago
(JARHEAD) (KE7TOG)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 93 YJ(LM7)
Unhappy Need a transfer case!
My Jeep is running again after being out of commission for 10 years. She has a new V8 motor and new automatic transmission, but I chose to reuse my transfer case since it was basically new back in 2008. Prior to breaking g my Jeep, I had recently installed both the 4-low and 2-low from Teraflex. Turns out there was a design defect that caused the bearings to fail. She was shifting hard in and out of 4 low prior to the hiatus, and now is just as bad. Well, Teraflex was servicing the warranty or refunding owners but that period has passed. Being broke for 10 years has caused me to miss the boat.

So now I am looking for a Rubicon transfer case. Brand new ones are just as expensive as an Atlas. Anyone have a used one they want to part with?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Default Re: Need a transfer case!
Got mine here
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+case&_sacat=0
Here's one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transfer-Case-3-8L-Automatic-Transmission-Rock-trac-Fits-07-11-WRANGLER-454176/232940835931?hash=item363c5b145b:gK8AAOSwtAtbqjzl
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
http://www.car-part.com/
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(George)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: Number 7
I saw one on craigslist yesterday.
4:88 Gears / Super 35 Rear
Dana 30 Front w/ Warn Hubs
TeraLow 4:1 T-Case
OX Lockers

Every Dog Has His Day!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Here's what appears to be the updated Tera 4:1 kit for the 231...

21 spline: https://jeep.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/2104100.htm

23 spline: https://www.partszoneusa.com/p/ghd-j...k=&_p=1o3&_d=c
Old 1 Week Ago
(JARHEAD) (KE7TOG)
Basic Member

Thanks for the info, everyone! I have been trying to weigh my options lately. The other day when I was test driving my YJ, I found that while shifting in and out of 4-Lo was extremely hard(problem present before breakage,) that stopping the Jeep from forward movement while in 4-Lo was harder. I had read reports of the V8 coupled with the auto tranny and while in 4-Lo would push vehicles past the stopping/holding power.

Also, my 231, clocked upward, leaves little room between the transfer case and the bottom of the tub. I fear that the different shape of the 241 would interfere with the tub.

With these factors and advice from an old friend, I may just look for a suitable replacement 231-J. I was told the NP231D-HD had a 6 pinion planetary and a wider chain than a stock 231. Research found that while the chain was wider, there was not 6 pinion planetary found. I spent my lunch break looking for 231 rebuild kits and found I can get a 6 pinion planetary and a wider chain for a fraction of the cost of a new/refurbished transfer case.
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/NP2...SABEgLNEPD_BwE
I am thinking perhaps paying someone to insert the above-listed kit, along with new bearing, etc. and have a suitable T-case for my drivetrain, reusing my existing case which already includes a SYE and heavy-duty shafts. Heck, I may just need to order a rebuild kit, the planetary and the wider chain.

Any opinions are appreciated on the new idea. Thank you.
Old 1 Week Ago
(JARHEAD) (KE7TOG)
Basic Member

I also found this article which has some promising information in it!
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...-and-beef-up/#

I may need to pick a course of action and start a new transfer case build thread.
Old 1 Week Ago
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
Thanks for the info, everyone! I have been trying to weigh my options lately. The other day when I was test driving my YJ, I found that while shifting in and out of 4-Lo was extremely hard(problem present before breakage,) that stopping the Jeep from forward movement while in 4-Lo was harder. I had read reports of the V8 coupled with the auto tranny and while in 4-Lo would push vehicles past the stopping/holding power.

Also, my 231, clocked upward, leaves little room between the transfer case and the bottom of the tub. I fear that the different shape of the 241 would interfere with the tub.

With these factors and advice from an old friend, I may just look for a suitable replacement 231-J. I was told the NP231D-HD had a 6 pinion planetary and a wider chain than a stock 231. Research found that while the chain was wider, there was not 6 pinion planetary found. I spent my lunch break looking for 231 rebuild kits and found I can get a 6 pinion planetary and a wider chain for a fraction of the cost of a new/refurbished transfer case.
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/NP2...SABEgLNEPD_BwE
I am thinking perhaps paying someone to insert the above-listed kit, along with new bearing, etc. and have a suitable T-case for my drivetrain, reusing my existing case which already includes a SYE and heavy-duty shafts. Heck, I may just need to order a rebuild kit, the planetary and the wider chain.

Any opinions are appreciated on the new idea. Thank you.
With the additional torque you have on tap now, it is MHO, that you will find the benefits gained with the 4:1 is no longer as high of a priority, like it was with the 4cyl... I believe you will be pleased with some of those HD upgrades to a 231. As an added plus, you won't be needing to upgrade the braking power quite as soon...
Old 1 Week Ago
(JARHEAD) (KE7TOG)
Basic Member

Originally Posted by ob1jeeper View Post
With the additional torque you have on tap now, it is MHO, that you will find the benefits gained with the 4:1 is no longer as high of a priority, like it was with the 4cyl... I believe you will be pleased with some of those HD upgrades to a 231. As an added plus, you won't be needing to upgrade the braking power quite as soon...
Excellent. Thank you, sir.