Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 08-14-2018
(Marc)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Jeep My New to me 2015 JKU Rubicon
I've been steadily researching everything I want to do to my JKU since buying it a little over a week ago, I've been filling up my Amazon Wishlist that I created for it with some stuff. But so far I ordered a new Sony XA-VAX200XM head unit since I get a discount through work, a Brandmotion rearview camera, some white LED bulbs for the interior, the same BOLT hood lock that theksmith installed on his.

I have already installed a Alien Sunshade sunscreen, and got the mopar bag for the freedom tops. I like the sunshade idea, but I really wish i could have bought a Jeep Tops sunshade since it covers the entire top from the windshield to the roll bar and the sides so there are no gaps, but they only make a full top one, not a top that only covers the front seats. I also couldn't figure out how to keep it installed permanently and still have access to the latches that hold down the tops. Does anyone know of another sunshade that is similar to the Jeep Tops one that only covers the front seats (I doubt that I will ever take the full top off, I just don't have anywhere to store it)

I still have to figure out which set of rocklights I'm going to get, I want a set of RGB ones since I live in Orange County, I need to keep it cool while I'm cruising home down PCH, I like the idea of the KC Hilites ones, but I'm also going to do some other RGB LED work (Camp light strip like theksmith has but I want to be able to have it red as well as white) and I'm trying to figure out something that can work with the least amount of applications to control them all.

I'm also trying to settle on a compressor, I like the Viair 40049 Heavy Duty ADA system, but I'm sure that is overkill for what I ultimately plan on doing with the Jeep, but if anyone has any alternative suggestions I'd be open.

I plan on getting bigger tires when the current ones need replacement, but I don't really want to put a lift on it so i'll probably only go up just a bit, but I'm thinking of a wider tire, maybe something like a 305/60R17, but that will require new rims, so that will be addressed when I cross that bridge.

Here's a couple of Pics from the weekend I got it.

and Finally all the books I now have for all my CA offroad adventurin', along with the list of state parks that my Annual California state parks pass lets me into.
Old 08-14-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My New to me 2015 JKU Rubicon
Viar are overpriced for their performance IMO. i already told you the Smittybilt big compressor is the best value for tires, but if you really want to pony up for a hard-mount install, then the dual ARB is probably the best setup that actually fits anywhere (you can get a mount for them for engine bay or under the passenger seat from a couple different companies).

those KC-Hilites RGB rock lights look solid, Vision-X also makes a similar kit, as does ColorMorph. if you want to more DIY, http://oznium.com has some controllers and strips/pods.

what are you thinking for headlights?
Old 08-15-2018
(Marc)
Premium Club Member

When did you tell me about the smittybilt compressor? I’m not losing my mind I swear, i’ll Check it, they are located near me i think. I’m as bad as you are with noises, I’ve stopped my car and tore everything out of the rear seat in the middle of a trip to figure out what was rattling before, it’s all I can think about when driving, that’s why I want to mount the compressor, I don’t want it rolling around under the seat or something making noise or else I’ll be out there on the side of the road with the drill and the impact driver making sure it’s not gonna move.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, amirite?

As for headlights i’m thinking about these
https://xpriteusa.com/xprite-7-90w-g...jeep-wrangler/

And these rock lights as well as they can all be controlled by the same application
https://xpriteusa.com/8pc-bluetooth-...d-rock-lights/

But unfortunately they are out of stock, I’m hoping that maybe they might have some at the store tomorrow when I stop in
Old 08-15-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
overdoing it is always the best option

Originally Posted by mesach View Post
When did you tell me about the smittybilt compressor? I’m not losing my mind I swear...
https://offroadpassport.com/forum/sh...87&postcount=9

Xprite's stuff is available from other random chinese companies: https://amzn.to/2MgpQRj

...i'm not sure their headlights are up to your level of pickiness .

you might check out jw speaker, kc hilites, truck-lites, and morimoto.

honestly i haven't been impressed with photos i've seen of the beam pattern from any of them except maybe the jw speakers, but they are soo expensive and still not as nice IMO as the typical retrofit HID that you could do in almost any other vehicle. i don't know why no one can seem to make a really great 7" round headlight.

Last edited by theksmith; 08-15-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-21-2018
(Marc)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
i don't know why no one can seem to make a really great 7" round headlight.
Sounds like I have a challenge. but I'll add an RGB halo for that extra bit of flair if someone wants that option.
Old 08-21-2018
(Marc)
Premium Club Member

Here is a list of all the stuff I have purchased so far for the Jeep, it's all going to be delivered this week and I will probably have to take a few weeks to put it all in on the weekends since I don't get home until late and it's almost dark so I won't be able to work on too much

I went with the Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM Universal Air Compressor that theksmith recommended to me, for now I will just have it loose, but I do want to figure out how to get it mounted under the passengers seat. I went out last weekend and I probably could have gotten away with airing down the tires for a little more comfortable ride, but I didn't have the compressor so I didn't want to have to worry about driving to air them up after getting off the trail. To go along with the compressor I picked up the Staun Automatic Tire Deflators, I'll have to figure out how they work and set them and forget them (hopefully not at home)

For a little bit of creature comforts when I'm stopped and just chilling I got the Timber Ridge Car Canopy Family Trailer Outdoor Tent for Beach Camping SUV 3-4 Persons Sunshade, we'll see how it works, I think I MAY have a Kelty Noah's 16 tarp in storage though and that would cover up the entire Jeep, so this MIGHT go back (long term I would love to get a foxwing awning, a new full rack, and get a rooftop tent).

I also have already replaced the interior dome lights with these Philips 194 Ultinon LED Bulb and Philips 578 Ultinon LED Bulb they are super bright and I'm not sure if I like them, but they are much better than the incan's so they stay for now. I got the same Covercraft UV11186BL Heat Shield Custom Fit Windshield Sunshade that theksmith has, I like that it's custom fit, and it seems really durable, the only two things about it is that I need to figure out where to store it when I'm not using it, and also I have to remove my phone cradle mount to use it, that last part is being remedied soon because I ordered the CMM Offroad JK RAM A-Pillar Ball Mount which I'm going to mount a Ram Mount Double Socket Swivel Arm and Ram Mount Cradle Holder for Universal X-Grip to, but I just have to figure out how to get power to it which shouldn't be that hard.

Also for the interior there's a little bit more storage in the Bestop 42640-01 HighRock 4x4 Drivers Side Under Seat Lock Box, as well as Slickrock Gear JK Pockets - Jeep Wrangler JK 4-Door Full Set. I discovered this little gem, the Brawlee Jeep Wrangler LED Rear Glass Lift Gate Dome Light Bar the other day when looking for something and figured at the very least it would be a quick and easy way to get a camp light on the back glass, if the LED strip doesn't work out, I'm confident I can remove it and replace it with one that is better and maybe an RGB version if I can't find a suitable bi-color red-white one to replace it

A Stubby little AntennaX Off-Road (13-inch) Antenna and a K&N VF1010 Washable & Reusable Cabin Air Filter I have no idea if the filters were ever replaced by the previous owner so I figured might as well as replace and upgrade them while I'm at it.

For a little bit of security, I bought BOLT 7026128 Jeep Wrangler JK Hood Lock that theksmith also installed on his, I like the idea of having a little bit more security under the hood because I'm going to be installing Apollointech Jeep Wrangler JK & JKU 2007-2018 Overhead 6-Switch Pod / Panel with Control and Source System Blue Back Light to control all the lights I'm going to be putting on, but for now it will control the camp light and the Bluetooth RGB LED Rock Lights -8 which are the same manufacturer as my 7" LED Headlights with RGB Halo + 4" LED Fog Lights. I did some research and was reaching analysis paralasys when it came to the LED/HID headlights and I really think that the stocklights are not bright enough at the moment and I hate the incandescent bulbs so I figured for now I'd get the sunpie lights and run those until I can figure out what I want to do going forward, who knows, I might like them and decide to keep them

Some tools to work on the rig which I figure will come in handy one day OEMTOOLS 25694 Torque Wrench, 3/8" Drive 10 x 80'/lb, along with a OEMTOOLS 20565 Power Cross Compact Multi Configuration Lug Nut Wrench which I figure i'll replace the on-board one with since this one is compact, and when I eventually get a hi-lift jack, i'll pull the factory one out and figure out something to do with the space that it took up, I'm thinking maybe an air tank for the compressor if it will fit.

I LOVE how customizable everything is on the Jeep, and that it's all relatively inexpensive, my other car is a BMW, so everything I do seems to cost $700+ no matter how small it is, I get about the same gas mileage as the Jeep, but the Jeep takes cheap gas, even though I was running an e30 mix in the BMW, it only made it slightly cheaper because it burned through it so quick with my lead foot, but not in the Jeep, I find myself barely doing the speed limit at times, now I'm the person I always cursed when driving my other car.

That's all for now, I've already gotten the "WHAT DID YOU ORDER?!?!" text from Julie because some of the things just started arriving today, the compressor box was large and heavy and the mail lady wasn't too happy about it, but she parks in front of our house to stage the mail so she didn't have to go too far with it.
Old 08-21-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

damn dude, is your credit card smoking a little?
Old 08-21-2018
(Marc)
Premium Club Member

Not yet, but it will be when I figure out what I want for a tent/awning/rack situation... speaking of camping, that’s a whole other amazon wishlist that is probably just as full.
Old 09-12-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

hey did you install those pockets that replace the nets yet? if you got the black version then i'd like to see how they compare to the factory plastic around them - their site only has photos of the carbon fiber style.
Old 09-13-2018
(Marc)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
hey did you install those pockets that replace the nets yet? if you got the black version then i'd like to see how they compare to the factory plastic around them - their site only has photos of the carbon fiber style.
I was too impatient to wait for the black ones, and ended up getting the carbon fiber ones. I can still take pics if you want them, I do like how they work, but my only complaint is that the way I sit and drive, my leg is up against them, which is sort of annoying, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.