Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 09-05-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Tent1 Labor Day Weekend 2017 Mogollon Rim Camping
Aimee & myself along with Bradywgn71 & Kaspily decided to go camping for the holiday weekend.
we posted a the short notice trip in the Offroad Passport Premium Club trips area.

it seems everyone else already had plans though, so it was just the 4 of us plus Chris & Sarah's 2 pups. we still had a great relaxing weekend away from the world!

we camped on top of the shallower end of the Mogollon Rim near Forest Lakes. the edge views weren't as dramatic as the better known parts of the rim (where FR300 connects Hwy 87 and 260), but i figured the secluded little spot i had recently found would be perfect for getting away from all the holiday camping traffic.

it turned out to be nicely hidden, we had one guy and his young son walk by as they were out scouting for elk, and maybe 2 other quads came down the road near us the entire weekend.

i got up early Sunday, started a fire and took a few pics of the colorful sunrise.

...cotton candy in the sky!

our little side of the campfire:

Chris & Sarah's stuff:

my JK's battery died and wouldn't charge back up, so Chris jump-started me Saturday and Aimee and i took a quick trip back down to Payson to get a new one. we got to see 2 fairly small "wild" horses just past our campsite on the way out.

there seem to be quite a few horses and elk in the area. we heard elk calls all around us constantly and couple young deer walked by our camp the first evening about 75 feet from us. Chris said he was going to rename my GPS waypoint to "poop camp" because of all the deer, elk, and horse poop in the area!

i only took those few morning shots, but Sarah said i could use some of her photos...

Madchen kept watch most of the time.

Clayton is the more vocal guard dog, but also sleepier

Aimee and i looking out over the edge of the rim:

Chris & Sarah selfie:

we took a late afternoon hike to a hidden little pond...

a random well-fed looking horse watched us from just a few feet off the trail, he didn't seemed the least bit concerned about us.

this was how most of our time was spent, just BS-ing around the fire:

all packed up and ready to head out Sunday before lunch so we could beat the holiday traffic back to Phoenix:

the dogs must have had fun, Sarah took this pic after they got back home Sunday:

if you liked the looks of this trip, be sure to join us in June 2018 when we'll camp at an even more scenic section of the rim!

calendar post for 2018 trip here...

Old 09-05-2017
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Default Re: Labor Day Weekend 2017 Mogollon Rim Camping
Nice. Looks like a fun time with love in the air as well as cotton candy.
I was also in Payson Saturday visiting my dad on his birthday. Went up early afternoon & home by 8pm with no traffic issues.
I'd post a pic of me on the 87 driving his 1960 Ford Falcon with 3 on the tree but, you know. #Photobucketcansuckit
Old 09-05-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by scottL View Post
Nice. Looks like a fun time with love in the air as well as cotton candy.
I was also in Payson Saturday visiting my dad on his birthday. Went up early afternoon & home by 8pm with no traffic issues.
I'd post a pic of me on the 87 driving his 1960 Ford Falcon with 3 on the tree but, you know. #Photobucketcansuckit
yup, Aimee and i had some time without B... he was in Indiana for the weekend, kicking some karate ass majorly as a guest at a different league.

we didn't hit any horrible traffic the whole weekend either.

i hope Red Baron had a good birthday and is doing well - is he coming on any runs ever?

Old 09-05-2017
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Looks like a great weekend except for the dead battery part (I can't believe you've had her long enough to require a new battery already? time flies!). We mostly did house and yard chores, it was so much fun around here!!!
Old 09-05-2017
(KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Looks like a GREAT time... Congrats to "B" too ! ! !
Old 09-06-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
Looks like a great weekend except for the dead battery part (I can't believe you've had her long enough to require a new battery already? time flies!). We mostly did house and yard chores, it was so much fun around here!!!
she's only about a year and a half old... the battery didn't show any signs of wearing down, it just suddenly died and wouldn't charge back up. it sits at 10.5 volts, which i believe means an entire cell shorted out inside.