Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 02-04-2015
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Day hikers?
Does anyone out there do any of the numerous day hikes in the Phoenix area?

I'm not a huge fan of the crowds on Camelback etc. but I've found several hikes this week that are a decent workout and rough enough to keep your attention.

I've been looking near my new home to find a couple of decent trails to use for training purposes for longer backpacking trips.

If anyone is interested maybe we can get together sometime.

Jim
Old 02-23-2015
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 "War Wagon"
Default Re: Day hikers?
On your side of town you can head into the White Tanks, and there are a lot of interesting places off of the I 17. I am hoping to get some more day hikes and backpacking trips in very soon, shooting to hike the John Muir Trail summer of 2016. Been upgrading to a lot of ultralight gear I am hoping to test on one of my next trips home

Old 02-24-2015
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Re: Day hikers?
Originally Posted by GOTMTNS View Post
On your side of town you can head into the White Tanks, and there are a lot of interesting places off of the I 17. I am hoping to get some more day hikes and backpacking trips in very soon, shooting to hike the John Muir Trail summer of 2016. Been upgrading to a lot of ultralight gear I am hoping to test on one of my next trips home
The White Tanks is one of my favorite parks. I had been scouting places within 5? miles of my house. The West Wing trail is my favorite so far.
When I lived in the valley previously, I used to train on the hill in Thunder Bird Mountain Park at 67th and Deer Valley.
If you want to do hike sometime when you're home let me know. I'll be back out of this deep freeze in about a month.
I know it's not North Slope winter cold but it was -16F yesterday AM.