Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 08-04-2016
(Michael)
Basic Member

Vehicle: "Pegasus" 1999 Jeep WJ 4.7L
Default Figuring out how to utilize new gear
So recently I was gifted a few things. One of which was a Yukon Outfitters Overwatch Tactical Sling, and the other was a really big ammo can.

So I'm trying to figure out what to put in them. Any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2016
(Chris) (KI7FVF)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2006 GMC Sierra Z71
Default Re: Figuring out how to utilize new gear
I love bigger ammo cans for tie downs and towing/hauling equipment. Also good for a "day box" with supplies such as food bars, water bottles, medical kit, etc. Kind of like an an emergency kit.
Old 08-04-2016
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
the sling might make a good bag for misc crap when on a longer trip - something you can toss in the front seat to keep random stuff within an arm's reach but well contained. i use a range bag for that purpose myself - items like the camera, water bottle, Go Pro and mounts, camera charger, flashlight, small led lantern, daily medications, face or baby wipes, leatherman, couple of power bar type things, spare batteries, a$$ candy, etc.!
Old 08-04-2016
(Marcus)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota FJC
The tactical sling would make a good bug-out bag for your Jeep. I have 2 of the large ammo cans. I keep ammo in them (duh) but that makes them too heavy to lug around.
Old 08-04-2016
(Michael)
Basic Member

Vehicle: "Pegasus" 1999 Jeep WJ 4.7L
I was thinking of getting a MOLLE First Aid Kit to throw on there. As you can see, I already have my machete mounted on there. I may change that and just use a shoulder strap for the machete, but for now it works. I was also thinking of getting a MOLLE camera case for it since it has Molle straps on the sling strap.

I'm just not sure what I should put inside it. Despite looking so small, it has a ton of space inside. The pouches REALLY expand. I may dedicate one of the smaller compartments to wires (charging wires, etc. But the rest is pretty much vacant. There is a spot for a water pouch, which the designers claim isn't for a water bladder, but seems suspiciously perfect for one. I may remove the machete just to make the pack more "public friendly" but I'm not sure if it would be great to haul such a big pack around anyways.

As for the ammo cans, I was actually gifted a smaller one as well, and I have that chock full of Ammo and stuff for my Ruger. Using the large can for tie downs and such probably isn't a bad Idea.... I'll have to see how it fits. I have a TON of bungees and ratchet straps.