Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-17-2014
(Kevin)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler
Default Re: 3 season tent or 0 degree bag
Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
Regardless of bag, barriers are your friend as well. You can loose quite a bit of heat if you do not have a pad/barrier between you and the ground. I have also found with the air matresses, a good blanket or two over the matress helps as well.

EDIT: I just realized I did nothing to answer the question poised by the OP. I would go for the bag. Only because I enjoy different types of camping and do not think it would be practical for me to carry a heater in certain situations. That, and the fact that I am paranoid about fire and fear having a heater ignite my tent, while I was in it.
Good call on a sleeping pad. Not only do they keep you warm, but I really like the foam core, self-inflatable ones, as long as you're not on a bunch of rocks. Very comfortable.

I also don't use a tent heater, and that's because a lot of them have auto shut-offs above 5000' or so and they don't do me any good up in the White Mountains...
Old 01-17-2014
(Sarah)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Overland
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
I agree. I run a tent heater only the first 30 minutes upon wakening, and it helps to crawl out of the bag. Also, I pack extra blankets and put them under my sleeping bag, on my cot. I do have a 0 bag, and use it only when I know its going to be very cold, otherwise, I get too hot with the blankets under me!
smiles, ladybug
Any recomendation on a safe tent heater? We normally have the dog and don't want him tipping something over.

-Sarah
Old 01-17-2014
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 TJ
Here is one model (of many) with some safety features:

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=338
Old 01-17-2014
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
I use a little coleman propane heater, but I only turn it on when I am awake in the morning, and only leave it on for awhile.
And yes, I forgot...I use a self-inflating mattress pad, with additional blankets Under me.
smiles, ladybug
Old 01-18-2014
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2005 Jeep LJ
I've tried most of the man made insulation and found that nothing beats good goose down. It breaths so any moisture ends up on the outside of the sleeping bag while you stay nice and comfy. Down is also comfortable over a wider temperature range. So, I would recommend a good down bag with a full length zipper to help increase the comfort range in warmer weather.
I personally do not like propane tent heaters as they dump a lot of moisture into the tent. I am also a little fearful of carbon monoxide and / or oxygen depletion. Maybe OK for a few minutes in the morning. I feel safer with a good pad or insulated cot and a nice down bag that even works good out under the stars when the weather permits.
Old 01-19-2014
(Russ)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2009 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I use the Coleman heater 30 minutes before I retire and when I awake to take the chill out. Don't trust them to stay on all night nor will you need it with a good tent and sleeping bag.

My tent is a four season from Cabelas - love it in all conditions. Elkpakr can vouch for it's ability to handle the winds at Stovepipe Wells!
Old 01-19-2014
Basic Member

Vehicle: 01 jeep grand Cherokee limited
Cabelas Alaskan guide series tent and a Mr heater.
Old 11-01-2016
(Coop)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2006 GX470
HI, I know this is an old thread and I am new here, first post, so I hopes its OK to bring it back to life. I visit southern AZ a couple times a year, friend in Scottsdale and live in Pagosa Springs CO, so even summer camping can be cold weather.
Get a couple of army wool blankets, they will make a huge different if it gets cold. I put one between me and my air mattress and then if really cold, one over my bag. Also they can be rolled up tight in a bag for storage, I keep 3-4 with me all the time camping.
Old 11-01-2016
(Dennis) (KF7JCG)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
I vote for a warmer sleeping bag; and I would go for a -10F to -20F rated bag for that time of year. The reason is you can always unzip the bag and hang a leg out if you are too warm but being cold is miserable as well as potentially life threatening. The way sleeping bags are rated can be deceiving as some are rated for survival and others comfort. Other factors are sex, health, body structure, when you last ate (body fuel), and environment. Here is a simple guide;

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/sleeping-bag-backpacking.html

You can find more online with a simple Google search.

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
Old 11-01-2016
(Coop)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2006 GX470
forgot to say, I have one of them too, -18degs bags, learned the army blanket thing before this bag