Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 10-29-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Default Re: The Most Magnificent San Rafael Swell and Capitol Reef! October 2018
Our last day....We head down Buckhorn Wash.
The first thing we encounter is the Morrison Knudsen tunnels...built during the cold war as a possible bunker site. There are 2 tunnels, one on each side of the trail. They set off over 300,000 tons of explosives, and suprisingly found that the sandstone of this region did not support this area for bunkers...so they ended up in the granite mountains of Colorado. The tunnels still remain....

The next stop was this single dinosaur print.

Next stop was this inscription from 1920. Matt Williams traveled with Butch Cassidy, and was eventually caught. He served 3.5 years in prison and then went straight -to become a justice of the peace in Green River, as well as a night marshall.

Driving through the wash....

Next stop was the 130 foot long Buckhorn Draw Petroglyph panel. It was cool to see the colors and extent of this Barrier Reef panel.

Continuing through the draw...

Final stop was the San Rafael Swinging Bridge...built by the CCC in the 1930s...It was the only bridge over the San Rafael River until the 1960s or 70s.

Finally some wildlife that I got a pic!

Another one of those awesome views!

Once we reached Interstate 70, John and Mike headed home. The rest of us went over to the Rochester Panel, a most impressive panel of petroglyphs....but of which I have no pic as I left the camera in the car.... Leaving it for someone else to post. Then Darryl headed for Moab and the remaining 3 vehicles of explorers headed for Torrey Utah for the night.
A moon shot...turn your head!

Attached Images:
File Type: jpg IMG_5167.jpg (119.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5171.jpg (89.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5172.jpg (96.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5173.jpg (87.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5177.jpg (139.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5189.jpg (80.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5198.jpg (99.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5206.jpg (80.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5218.jpg (112.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5222.jpg (57.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5230.jpg (127.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-29-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Default Re: The Most Magnificent San Rafael Swell and Capitol Reef! October 2018
I will report that each day we left camp between 9 am and 9:30, and were in a campsite by 5 pm each day....so although it seemed like we covered alot of ground, and we did, it was not overwhelming....Just the scenery was overwhelming!
We packed for the cold, and the fires that John built each night helped so much!
It was a great group of explorers! And yes, we will be going back...It's just too neat of a place to see it once...Plus those horses are still out there!

Fellow explorers: Thanks so much for coming and for your patience! Please add pics and comments!
smiles, ladybug
Old 10-29-2018
(Roy)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
Karen, thanks for the great pictures. I am so glad that you had a fantastic trip.
Roy
Old 10-29-2018
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 97 Jeep Wrangler
We know about John and his fires. Kofa Mtns, 2018.

Attached Images:
File Type: jpg IMG_1163.jpg (68.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-30-2018
(Darryl)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2017 Wrangler Willys Wheeler
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
We know about John and his fires. Kofa Mtns, 2018.

We had a fire similar to this on one of the nights.....pretty sure they saw it on the International Space Station.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” - Dr. Seuss
Old 10-30-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
What an amazing adventure! Karen, thank you for the trip report and pictures, I really enjoyed it. Definitely an action packed week, to say the least. What a magnificent area, and I appreciated that you researched and told about the history.
Old 10-30-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Great trip report and photos Karen!
Old 10-30-2018
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Thanks for sharing. I really like that campsite looking out over the ledge.
Old 10-30-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
thanks for the photos and the history tidbits too Karen!
Old 10-31-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

I certainly enjoyed researching this area and learning about it! And I'm ready to go back someday too! ....although the Henry's are calling now!.....
smiles, ladybug