Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 11-23-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Default Burro Creek pre-run switched up!!
Most of you know that I've been trying to run the Burro Creek cherry stem trail for many years now! It cuts right between 2 wilderness areas, crossing the creek east of Six-Mile Crossing, below Baghdad. I have only got across here once, and turned back due to uncertainty about the wilderness areas. The other times the creek has been too deep here. So a few weeks ago, I set up a pre-run for this area, ready to try it again. Until we got all that rain in October!!!

So we switched it up and explored some other areas! It was a great trip, and I'll keep these trails in mind as i think about posting a 2019 trip! Many thanks to JohnPa, StockJeep, ElkPakr, BigAl, and JimG, who helped on this! StockJeep led on the second day, while I led the day before.

I have to add that this was Big Al's first campout since all those 2018 surgeries, and it sure was great to have him back!!

We started out going north of Wickenburg on Highway 93 and cutting off at Alamo Road. We've been out here before, but this time with a small group, we detour to Date Creek Falls.

There was no water coming down the waterfall at this time, but a nice looking pool! ( Turn your head!)

Attached Images:
File Type: jpg IMG_5275.jpg (77.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5264.jpg (88.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5273.jpg (110.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 11-23-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Default Re: Burro Creek pre-run switched up!!
From there we head to Palmarita Ranch. This old homestead is now owned by BLM and they are slowly restoring it. It was founded in the late 1800s by Mexican families who irrigated the land off the nearby Santa Maria River, and grew crops for the miners of the area.

From there we head to Anderson Mine....this is an old uranium mine!

And just to show you how good Al looks!! It was good to have you guys along!

Attached Images:
File Type: jpg IMG_5285.jpg (85.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5291.jpg (89.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5301.jpg (81.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5313.jpg (115.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-23-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

We camped that night at the mine, and then the next day headed over Aso Pass back to highway. This route maybe saved us 15 miles, but was a fun trail...not difficult, but not a dirt road either....so took us more time! Good info to know! - but yes, it does go out! And altho its not the Burro Creek cherry stem trail, this is a cherry stem trail! This cuts right between the Tres Alamos Wilderness area and the Arrastra Wilderness area! This pic is looking towards the Arrastra Wilderness.

From there we head north to Nothing AZ and then down the Bonanza Wash. At the confluence of the Bonanza Wash and Burro Creek! - I had found this old cabin on Google Earth a few months ago while searching for other Burro Creek crossings (didn't find any!)...so I was excited to see this old cabin! It actually included the assayer office as well! And that's Burro Creek down the hill....

And lo and behold, an old mining processing site! Complete with ore crushers! They were pumping water from Burro Creek to this site to help process the ore crushing.

Burro Creek:

While there, we get down to Burro Creek. That October rain sure made a difference....good thing we didn't try the other crossing...And while this is not alot of water, the other crossing is much bigger and deeper, so we had made a good decision to postpone that one!

One final stop before heading home! We were down to 3, and decided to try the Old Dick Trail and Old Dick Mine....Lo and behold, only a few miles down the trail....I have yet to call BLM to find the workaround to this one!

It was a great pre-run, and no doubt we'll piece some of this together for a future run!
smiles, ladybug
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg IMG_5328.jpg (146.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5368.jpg (143.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5359.jpg (101.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5384.jpg (107.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5378.jpg (125.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5389.jpg (97.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 11-23-2018
(Al) (KI7AUO)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2013 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Nice report Karin. Many thanks for inviting me on this trip. Was good to get the jeep out on the trail, & nice we got to do some 4wheeling!! Thanks to all who were ready to help me if needed. The dinner was great & Dicks berry cobbler was a big hit. A big shout out to Johnpa for setting up my camp...Al

PS The cookies were amazing!!!
Old 11-24-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Looks like it was fun - thanks for sharing the pictures!!!
Old 11-26-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
And lo and behold, an old mining processing site! Complete with ore crushers! They were pumping water from Burro Creek to this site to help process the ore crushing.
thanks for sharing your photos and story Karen! nice find on the old mine processing site.

Originally Posted by mynr1 View Post
Nice report Karin. Many thanks for inviting me on this trip. Was good to get the jeep out on the trail, & nice we got to do some 4wheeling!! Thanks to all who were ready to help me if needed. The dinner was great & Dicks berry cobbler was a big hit. A big shout out to Johnpa for setting up my camp...Al

PS The cookies were amazing!!!
awesome to see you out and about Al!