Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 12-16-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
installed Teraflex 4" springs this week (was on 3"), along with their rear extended sway bar links and front disconnects. i'm want to add some very small spacers in the rear to level it out better still.

i'm keeping my same shocks for now, so i didn't gain any flex... however, i want to go to 37's, hopefully late next year, so this made room for those. i'll need to add more bump-stop or get flat fenders when i do and then i can figure out exactly what length shocks are optimum after all those changes.

also did a last minute run at Log Corral with some of the others from here - kind of a shakedown of all the recent mods on Gadget. everything worked well for the most part but i'm still dialing in the alignment a little.

finally found out what a noise i'd been hearing at full flex was... the yoke on the axle end of my front driveshaft is just grazing my engine skid. i need to fix that later today.

i didn't take any pictures on the run, but dzJeepChic grabbed a few of Gadget for me:

my favorite shot is with Gadget and my buddy ScottL's XJ:

Last edited by theksmith; 12-16-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-17-2018
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Dang, your jeep is gettin' all growed up.
Old 12-30-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
i went up north looking for snow yesterday morning. only found a few inches, but enough to wheel around in a bit!

Last edited by theksmith; 12-30-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

more snow came on New Year's Eve, so Aimee and I took Brady and one of his friends up north the next day. Chris & Sarah came as well, along with their pup Madchen. since Hope (the WJ) was down, they brought Groot (their XJ) on it's maiden off-road voyage!

all these photos were taken by Sarah...

Chris, Madchen & Groot:

after wheeling around from Munds Park to Mormon Lake, we took Lake Mary Rd into Flagstaff and had lunch at the Lumberyard Brewery.

Old 01-08-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

i had to do my first out-of-warranty repair the other day. i was getting a check-engine light with code P0128, which is basically the engine not reaching expected temps.

some quick research indicated that it could be the IAT sensor, coolant temp sensor, or most likely the actual thermostat. after troubleshooting i was fairly sure that it was indeed my thermostat either opening too soon or getting stuck open.

the entire thermostat housing, thermostat and seal are all sold as a single piece from Mopar.

this writeup on changing the thermostat was very thorough and let me know exactly what to expect before i dug in.

i did drain the entire radiator first to reduce the spillage when pulling out the old one. i used a 1/4" hose attached to the drain which also helped minimize the mess.

be SURE you have the right coolant if you mess with the cooling system in a JK!

sometime during 2013 they JK changed from HOAT to OAT, and apparently you don't want to mix them. see this post for more info...

once the thermostat was swapped, and the system had been properly bled and topped off a couple times, Gadget would once again warm up quickly and stay in the 200* to 210* range just driving around the neighborhood. beforehand she wasn't even reaching 200* in this recent near-freezing weather we've had.
Old 01-09-2019
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Thanks Kris. Those are some good write ups that you linked. Your post is a good reminder to Jeep owners that just any antifreeze isn’t good enough.

The coolant issue is/was very confusing. I dealt with it at the engineering level when the change over was happening. What made it more confusing was that at first there was no part number for the new OAT and the color hadn’t changed yet. We had to get the “new stuff” from the stockroom from a 55 gallon drum.

The person that wrote the second article you linked does the best job of explaining the confusing process that went on.
Old 01-09-2019
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
sometime during 2013 they JK changed from HOAT to OAT, and apparently you don't want to mix them.
What if you mixed in GOAT coolant?
Old 01-09-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by scottL View Post
What if you mixed in GOAT coolant?
you'll have a baa-aaa-aaa-aaa-aaad time!
Old 01-10-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
Thanks Kris. Those are some good write ups that you linked. Your post is a good reminder to Jeep owners that just any antifreeze isn’t good enough.

The coolant issue is/was very confusing. I dealt with it at the engineering level when the change over was happening. What made it more confusing was that at first there was no part number for the new OAT and the color hadn’t changed yet. We had to get the “new stuff” from the stockroom from a 55 gallon drum.

The person that wrote the second article you linked does the best job of explaining the confusing process that went on.
Jim, do you know of a specific aftermarket coolant that is equivalent to the new Mopar OAT (and can mix with it safely)?

some folks suggested that Dex-Cool is actually OAT, and that modern formulations of it no longer contain the additive responsible for all the bad press about the original Dex-Cool eating aluminum back in the 90s...

FYI - Zerex G05 is commonly available and works with or in place of the older HOAT fluid.
Old 01-11-2019
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
Jim, do you know of a specific aftermarket coolant that is equivalent to the new Mopar OAT (and can mix with it safely)?

some folks suggested that Dex-Cool is actually OAT, and that modern formulations of it no longer contain the additive responsible for all the bad press about the original Dex-Cool eating aluminum back in the 90s...

FYI - Zerex G05 is commonly available and works with or in place of the older HOAT fluid.
Sorry Kris. I don’t know of any aftermarket coolant I can recommend. I’ve read the same things about Dex-Cool online but I’m just not sure I trust the source.

I was aware of the Zerex G05 and agree that it’s a valid replacement for HOAT but haven’t used it personally.
I just go to the dealer, bite the bullet, and get the Mopar product for what ever vehicle I’m working on.

FWIW - I went to the Ford dealer and purchased the factory coolant when I did some recent work on my son’s Edge. I just didn’t feel like researching an aftermarket alternative. And I don’t get a discount from them!!!