Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-04-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Indian Mesa Hike
A couple weeks before Xmas a friend and I hiked to the top of Indian Mesa to view the ruins located there. The Mesa is within the boundaries of Lake Pleasant regional park. You follow Table Mesa Road west off I17 until you reach the park gate and begin the hike.

This is a three mile hike along the dry part of the Auga Fria River toward the Mesa you see in the distance.

It’s an easy hike until you climb up onto the Mesa. It may look worse than it is since you are on an old road bed until you begin the climb to the saddle although a fair amount of bushwhacking is required. Sorry for the picture quality, the clouds decided to join us at this point

You will climb to the saddle and work your way around to the lake side. The trail is a bit hard to follow but there is really only one way to the top (at least with my climbing skills). Note the loop hole in the wall at the top of the access

200 Indians lived here at one time. There are many rock walls remaining from their houses. Also numerous pottery shards. These pics only show a portion of the many houses of the complex

There are great views of Lake Pleasant and the Agua Fria River

We even found this hole in the center of one ruin. From what I’ve been able to find out this held a post that supported the roof of the structure.

Indian Mesa has line of sight to Elephant Mountain in Spur Cross Park and other peaks in the area that also have ruins on their tops. I’ve climbed three of these other peaks so far with plans for a fourth.

It really was a great hike and not all that difficult.
Old 01-05-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Indian Mesa Hike
neat place, thanks for posting!

Quote:
...not all that difficult.
i got winded just looking at the photos
Old 01-05-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
What a cool adventure! Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 01-05-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
I've seen this on the maps, and thought I could jeep to it! You didn't see any jeep trails?!?!
smiles, ladybug
Old 01-05-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Default Indian Mesa Hike
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
I've seen this on the maps, and thought I could jeep to it! You didn't see any jeep trails?!?!
smiles, ladybug
Yes Karen if there weren’t so many locked gates you could Jeep right up to the saddle where you begin the climb/bushwhacking section.

The first gate across Table Mesa Road is at the boundary for Lake Plesant Park. The next series of gates is to a staging area and crude boat launch that I would guess the rangers would use when the Auga Fria is flowing. Both of these barriers are on the east side of the river bed.

After you cross to the other side of the river bed and get up on the bank you are on a old road bed that I believe shows on Google Maps as “cow creek rd.” Many of you know more about the roads out there than I. If there is a way to access this road from the other end it would only be a short scramble up to the ruins.

I was told by a Maricopa County Park ranger that there is no access permitted to this area by vehicle. I don’t know if that’s because this road is in the park and is blocked or the area is kept closed because of the eagle nesting area. The ranger did tell me he has been to the base of the Mesa by truck with his drive beginning at Lake Pleasant Park.

If somebody figures out road access I’d be glad to lead the hike to the top of the Mesa.
Old 01-05-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

In this picture I believe you are looking down from the ruins on a section of Cow Creek Road

This shows were the road ends at the Auga Fria.

Beautiful area, we are very fortunate to live here.
Attached Images:

Last edited by jgaz; 01-07-2018 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
smiles, ladybug
Karen,
After a bit more research I believe that until 2007 it was possible to drive to the bottom of the mesa where we started the climb. An old reference I read on this hike listed it as 1 mile, round trip.
Old 01-23-2018
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
Karen,
After a bit more research I believe that until 2007 it was possible to drive to the bottom of the mesa where we started the climb. An old reference I read on this hike listed it as 1 mile, round trip.
Makes sense Jim...Most of my books are old, like me!
smiles, ladybug
Old 01-24-2018
(Jason)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 99 XJ Sport
Sweet pics!
Old 01-24-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
i may have driven to near the base of that from the Lake Pleasant side once. there's a gate that was open, but on the way out i noticed that there had also been a sign near it that was knocked down and drug off to the side. i think someone knocked it down and forced the gate... because there were no recent tracks on the other side of the gate and the "road" near that mesa was severely washed out for a long ways.

if i am indeed thinking of the same place Jim went, then it would seem that hiking in from the Lake Pleasant side could be shorter (even if you left your rig at the gate in question).