Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 03-06-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
RV2 Trash storage bags (the Trasharoo & alternatives)
thought i'd share some of the various spare tire trash/storage bags that i've run across - and what i ended up with.

Trasharoo: $50.00

the Trasharoo gets credit with being the most popular vehicle trash carrying solution. i give them props for making it trendy to pack out your garbage. honestly the only reason i didn't like mine was the size - it's just a bit too large and frumpy for my needs.

some people also complain about them not staying on well. i found that not crossing the straps, but instead just tightening them as tight as possible and then using a short bungee cord to pull them together at the center of the wheel worked well.

mesh style sacks:
- Spiderwebshade: $50.00
- Alien Sunshade: $35.00

these both seem dead simple, and i can't tell any difference between the 2 companies' products just looking at the photos.

it's nice that they drain. they're probably great for clean-up events, but don't have any pockets or MOLLE to make them more versatile.

Offroading Gear: $35.00

there are several generic spare tire mounted bags on Amazon. this particular inexpensive one appeared to be a good medium size and has great reviews.

Overland Gear Guy - Spare Tire Trash Bag: $130.00

this is pricey but it's also the only one i saw with an innovative and very sturdy looking mounting solution. it has small pockets, MOLLE, and is made in the USA.

this might be a little small for a family, but seems just right for a couple folks on a 3 to 4 day trip. if my current solution doesn't work out then i may purchase this.

Blue Ridge Overland Gear:
- Tire Storage Bag: $70.00
- Tire Storage Bag XL: $170.00

Blue Ridge Overland Gear has a great reputation with folks on Expo Portal and they do appear to make some nice tool pouches and rolls as well.

these bags look to be made from a slick coated material. i dig that, mainly because i'm thinking they won't attract and hold so much dust.

the XL bag also mentions a 2 part system where the mounting straps can stay attached even when the bag is removed. however, the cost for the XL is bordering on ridiculous IMHO.

continued...

Last edited by theksmith; 03-07-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-07-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Deer Re: Trash storage bags (the Trasharoo & alternatives)
my current solution

i've been successfully using backpacks as spare tire mounted trash bag holders for a while.

you simply need to add buckles to the main shoulder straps, and possibly extend them (depending on your tire size).

a couple Sea to Summit Field Repair Buckles and Coghlan's Utility Straps make this quick and easy - no sewing or knot-tying required.

then you can easily run the straps through (or around) your wheel and over the top of the spare tire.

this setup has never come loose or slid sideways on me, and i've not even needed to use the hip strap on the backpacks i've tried.

my latest pack is a CREATOR 70-85L Large Capacity Tactical Travel Backpack. it costs under $60 - a tad more than the Trasharoo, yet significantly less than some high-end options. note i haven't had this particular one long enough to comment on durability yet.

a 70 - 100L sized pack seems to work out well for 1 or 2 people on shorter trips.

i liked that there are just enough pockets without it being ungainly, and that it expands from 75L to 80L when needed (to stay compact on most trips). i also needed the MOLLE straps on the face of it for another project (coming soon!). here's a shot of it expanded:

PRO TIP: use multiple small (~3 gallon) trash bags, starting a new one each day. this keeps the smell (and possibly the flies & bees) to a minimum as opposed to constantly re-opening a large bag full of several days' refuse.

i also keep a bit of paracord in one of the pockets in case i'm ever camped in bear country and need to suspend the bag from a tree.

and one last mod: i purchased a couple cans of 3M Scotchgard Water & Sun Shield and coated this latest bag with it liberally. i'm not so much worried about it being water resistant (in fact i may need to add a grommet to the bottom for drainage). rather, i'd like to keep it from fading to some hideous shade of brownish-pink right away!

the only downside i can think of is someone might try to steal the backpack, not realizing it's just garbage. perhaps i'll get a custom velcro patch with "TRASH / BASURA" stitched on it.

Last edited by theksmith; 03-07-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2019
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Re: Trash storage bags (the Trasharoo & alternatives)
I like your backpack solution. It looks like a good alternative to the traditional Trasharoo.

A note on my experience with a Trasharoo. The first time I tried to install mine I broke one of the main buckles and had not even managed to get the strap tight yet! To the company’s credit, they did send me two new buckles that they said were “improved”.

In order to use the bag on the trip that I was packing for, I robbed a buckle off my old Gregory, bomb proof, (heavy!) backpack.
As I was borrowing the buckle I looked at the Gregory pack and wondered why I didn’t just save my $!

In fact I have used my old backpack several times since because it just seems to be easier to install and I think it fits better.
Old 03-07-2019
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Great write up about something people often overlook until they get out there and realize they need to haul stinky trash. The backpack idea is a great alternative to the trash-a-roo type products, which I've always thought were ridiculously priced (for what you're getting).

P.S. K the 1st photo is not showing for me.
Old 03-07-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
Great write up about something people often overlook until they get out there and realize they need to haul stinky trash. The backpack idea is a great alternative to the trash-a-roo type products, which I've always thought were ridiculously priced (for what you're getting).

P.S. K the 1st photo is not showing for me.

thanks for the notice on the photo, i fixed it.

yup, you can be budget conscience with this for sure! use an old backpack you already have (as Jim mentioned), or get a cheap one from Goodwill, Savers or Walmart. some nicer hiking packs will already have clips on the main straps but even if you have to buy a couple clips, it's only a few bucks.

In addition to the Amazon links i gave, you can get clips & strap extensions at Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, REI and some Walmarts.