Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 08-30-2014
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Tow Truck Clifford's Front Axle Swap - Installing a 2005 TJ Rubicon D44 in a '92 XJ
We bought both axles with the original factory lockers and 4.88 gears out of a 2005 TJ Rubicon. We were able to sell the rear axle to a guy in Tucson. This is Clifford's new front axle when we first got it:

Since purchasing it George has been getting it ready to install in Clifford. He had to cut off some of the brackets and install new brackets for the XJ. He also installed a new ARTEC Industries axle truss and control-arm mounts, and some new C-Gussets from Iron Rock Offroad.

ARTEC Industries axle truss:

Yesterday George had to pull the carrier and install axle tube seals.

Yesterday George hooked up an air-supply and demonstrated the locker for me:

We're keeping Clifford's original rear Currie built D44 axle with chromolly 33-spline axle shafts. Last week Clifford visited 4Wheel Supply where they installed 4.88 gears and replaced the Detroit locker in the rear with and ARB locker. We already appreciate that the Jeep doesn't go pow & pop when slowing and turning, and I'll never miss the rear-end wiggle you got whenever you took your foot off the gas going down the highway!

Today George is painting the new front axle, and tomorrow Clifford's going under the knife.

Last edited by dzJeepChic; 08-30-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2014
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Default Re: Clifford's Front Axle Swap - Installing a 2005 TJ Rubicon D44 in a '92 XJ
Cool beans…
Old 08-30-2014
(Loren)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Default Re: Clifford's Front Axle Swap - Installing a 2005 TJ Rubicon D44 in a '92 XJ
Nice work G!
Old 09-01-2014
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

We got a lot done today. And I helped!

Clifford, say "Ah!"

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

Had to move the Rock Krawler upper control-arm bushing to the new pumpkin mount:

It was pretty tricky getting the new one into place:

Lower control-arms attached:

Springs in place:

Upper control-arm attached:

We got it mocked up!

Up next: passenger side upper control-arm link, Yukon spin-free hub kit install (thanks LetzRoll Offroad!), Synergy ball-joint install and putting it all back together. I see a shake-down run in my near future.
Old 09-27-2014
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

It's been a while since I posted up because after we had the axle under the Jeep and George began to assemble it, he found out it was bent. It wasn't going together right so he began measuring things and sure enough, it was bent.

So we had to pull it back out, pull the carrier, and then we took it to Arizona Differential. We had visions of them telling us there was nothing they could do, but we were wrong - they straightened it right up!

Here's a picture looking down the tube after we got it back:

Now we were back to where I left off!

And then George started putting it all together.
Old 09-27-2014
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

After all the guts were put back in and the axle was back under the Jeep, George installed [I'm probably missing something here] new ball-joints and the new Yukon Hardcore Locking Hubs:

Clifford's finally back on wheels now - which was a whole 'nother fight! After several used sets have failed to suit our purpose, new wheels are on order at Discount and should be here anyday.
Old 09-27-2014
(Marcus)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota FJC
Wink Re: Clifford's Front Axle Swap - Installing a 2005 TJ Rubicon D44 in a '92 XJ
George is the man! This should clear up any overheating problems
Old 10-01-2014
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

George finally got Clifford all buttoned up, the steering is on, the track-bar is centered, the air compressor for the front locker is mounted, wired and hooked up to a switch in the cab, the front sway bar connecting tabs are welded into place and we got new wheels that fit correctly! The sway bar disconnecting pins need to be re-located...

Sorry so blurry, he was raring to go and wouldn't hold still for the picture.