Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 05-08-2018
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Default Urgent by 5/22/18: Black Canyon Corridor
Hi all,

We have an urgent BLM trail comment due date for the Black Canyon Corridor (Stretching from Anthem, AZ to Mayer, AZ). The proposed plan, by the BLM, (Option C Map) is going to restrict or eliminate trails. Many of these are considered extreme trails but I still think we should fight to keep them open for the rock buggy group. The AZ VJC has kindly put together a PDF form you can fill out and either mail it or email it to the BLM. I have attached it here. You are welcome to add your comments to the first page. Please note the BLM said during a meeting we attended that they would discard any forms that did not have any specific trail numbers ***This is due 5/22/18***

The AZ VJC and AZ Undertakers group have been very active in this. It's too bad I didn't hear about the efforts to save the trails sooner. Map Option C is what the BLM wants. For the greatest OHV access we want Map Option E.

You can view the BLM maps and proposed changes here:https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-...0003e880ed63df

PDF to complete and mail or email here:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r5-...cetgmnBdK/view

Video explaining why we should fight here:

Please let me know if you have any questions. Let's have our voices heard. Please share the PDF and the situation with anyone who might be interested. The AZ VJC has already printed hundreds of the form and given them out to dozens of off road shops and has been trying to promote it through Facebook.
Attached Files:
File Type: pdf BLM Comment Feedback (Routes).pdf (671.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-08-2018
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Default Re: Urgent by 5/22/18: Black Canyon Corridor
Update you must make a personal comment on the first page. Add any other trails you want left open. Heard from the VJC that now the BLM is rejecting this template even though it meets the requirements. I'm frustrated that any excuse to ignore the OHV community is being used.
Old 05-09-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
note the email address to send this to is at the top of the form: blkcanyon@blm.gov

my comment: "All existing roads and OHV trails that have been traveled even once in the past 20 years should remain open. With OHV use increasing, it is in the public interest to avoid closing any existing travel path. In fact we should be discussing opening additional trails. The popular and constantly used Turkey Creek trail and some of it's adjacent/connecting paths were not even included in the TMP, which is ridiculous. Of the available options, I support Map Option E, though it still does not represent the best public interest as it leaves out some existing trails."

EDIT - i found out this would automatically get thrown out because it is a "general comment" and doesn't mention the specific official trail numbers i want to see kept open! now, i think that is complete horse-shit! but, i'll have to revise it and re-send in order to play by their rules if i want my voice heard.

Last edited by theksmith; 05-09-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2018
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
What really makes me mad is that I've been sitting here for a good hour trying to figure out the map and what routes are what. It's very confusing, and I can't find the route numbers of trails I'm familiar with, so I can't comment specifically on them. I read somewhere that a route number must be included or the comment form will be rejected. It would be dumb for me to comment on the buggy routes.

Is it just me or is the BLM making this especially difficult?

Does anybody know the route numbers of Turkey Creek, Desoto Mine, That wash we took from Mayer to Cleator, etc.?

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-09-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
i'll have to dig into it this week more...

attached is their KMZ file for "Option E". you should be able to import that into AlpineQuest, Basecamp, etc. - in order to see the routes in an app that you're more familiar with.

BCC_TMP_ALTE.kmz

i tried importing into CalTopo but crashed my browser! they have broken up every trail into a bunch of little segments so the file is overly complex.
Old 05-10-2018
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Attached are instructions (in a word doc) about how to view the maps and a word document you can edit and add you own comments in addition to what is there.
Attached Files:
Old 05-15-2018
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Under a week left to get your comments in.