Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Default Salt River Trip May 2018
Starting the trip thread for any photos. We all met in Globe, AZ. Chris and I found a good burger spot in town called Nurd Burger. It das a fun Star Wars geek theme going on. After this we met the others and headed north on the 60 out of Globe to start the trail. Along the way we stopped at a small Onyx Mine. Our fat WJ had fun coming back from the tight parking spot. We then made our way down to the river. There is a long steep hill that went on for quite a while. The views of the river below were awesome. Dianne and Kristoffer led us to an awesome camping spot along the Salt River. The first one we tried was a great camping spot but the water at this spot was too deep and fast moving to swim in. We made our way back a bit and found a better camp spot. It was a hot day but by the time we got to the river we found some shade and waited for the sun to go down. One of our group was brave enough to fully swim in the river. Several us just dipped our toes. The water was pretty muddy and fast moving. During the night time the temps dropped to the upper 50s and we all slept really well. Nothing like the sound of a river to lull you to sleep.

Link to my full album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/neoZJ8xGRmQWt3vx6

Starting the trip

Video of us coming down and being all tippy

First view of the Salt River from the Bluff

First spot we could get to the river. Some minor rapids on it

Cooling off in the river at camp

Sunset shot

Only one was tent sleeping. We enjoyed a great night in the Jeep. We now have screens for every window and the sun roof.

I was sad to leave this spot Had the day time been cooler I would have loved a second day at camp. We left early before it got hot and made the long climb back up the hill. This was the only section we needed 4x4 on.

Thanks to ORP for another perfect weekend!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Default Re: Salt River Trip May 2018
thanks for sharing your photos, some of the river ones came out really nice!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
I vote we go back after the weather cools.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Binoculars Re: Salt River Trip May 2018
Originally Posted by scottL View Post
I vote we go back after the weather cools.
someday i'd like to make a 2 night trip out of this and the nearby salt river overlook area we did recently. i found out the mine at that other location is really large underground - i'm dying to go explore it!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
I thought it was a fun weekend getaway for sure. It was mostly a very easy graded road, except for one section of the trail, on the way down, and then again on the way up, which is a little gnarly. We were in Smurftruck and he handled it fine though. Camping by the river was definitely nice; the temps really dropped at night. Some people had to go to bed early because they forgot their jacket!

Here's a link to all of mine: Diane's Haystack Butte Pictures

A few of my faves:

Tailgunner view

At the onyx mine. We didn't find much...

View from the mine

I'm sure it felt horrible to make that U-turn out of the mine

Almost to the final descent to the river

Noticed a dirt landing strip next to the river

Almost there!

Where we set up camp

Picture of the roughest section taken on the way out

It was fun exploring someplace entirely new, especially since there's a water feature at the end! We had a nice little group so we fit in that camp spot; was a very fun over-nighter!