Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 06-28-2019
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Exclamation Who Wants to Go? August 2020: Ducy Ershim Trail, near Fresno, CA 4x4 Difficult
Hey everyone, we are interested in running the Ducy Ershim Trail in central California next summer, and we'd like to know if anyone on here would be interested in going?

This trail is on par with the Rubicon and the Fordyce (from what we've heard). We would most likely run the trail Tuesday through Thursday/Friday. We will have to do research on places to stay on the way, where to camp, where to get fire permits, etc. This is just a preliminary to see if anybody wants to go.

Trail description:

A very scenic trail that climbs to 10,000 feet at Thompson Lake, then rarely drops below 9,000 feet after that. You'll pass several excellent lakes offering good camping and fishing. Almost the entire trail passes through wilderness, which is just 300 feet on each side of the trail. Stay on designated routes at all times. Do not camp within 100 feet of lakes and streams. Carry a fire permit and fishing license if applicable. No target shooting anywhere along route. Pack out your trash. Located in Sierra National Forest. For current conditions call the High Sierra Ranger District at (559) 855-5355.

Over ninety percent of this 30-mile trail is slow-speed rock crawling. The most difficult part of the trail is Thompson Hill (when driven uphill). It starts gradually and gets worse as you climb higher. Also very difficult are the last two miles of the trail, going south to north, as described here. Many other challenges await. The forest service recommends the trail be driven in a short-wheel-base vehicle with at least 32-inch tires and one locker. The fact is, even better equipped vehicles are seriously tested. Be prepared for breakdowns because help is a long way off. Never drive this trail by yourself. The trail can also be driven from the north starting at White Bark Vista.
Old 06-29-2019
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Default Re: Who Wants to Go? August 2020: Ducy Ershim Trail, near Fresno, CA 4x4 Difficult
I would like to go, but august is impossible for me.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....
Old 06-29-2019
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Default Re: Who Wants to Go? August 2020: Ducy Ershim Trail, near Fresno, CA 4x4 Difficult
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
I would like to go, but august is impossible for me.
When would you want to go Christian? Would the 1st part of Sept work for you?
Old 06-30-2019
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
When would you want to go Christian? Would the 1st part of Sept work for you?
I think, everything after September, 14th would work for me, but don't make it dependent from me. Before 14th my work schedule is already filled up (I don't know, why it gets more and more work the last month before starting 'pre retirement').
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 4'' Coilover Lift, 40'' Toyo MT, UD60´s front and rear axle, Warn winch, Genright front bumper, TNT Customs rock sliders, Rockhard underbody protection, CB, 5.7 l VVT Hemi....
Old 06-30-2019
(Mike) (KE7GRM)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2001 TJ
I am interested... it's been on my hit list for years.

Last edited by mbuckner; 07-01-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-01-2019
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Interested as well. Just need the dates to request time off.
Old 07-02-2019
Basic Member

Vehicle: 04 jeep grand cherokee
Also interested if it turns out to be the 1st week of September. I'm doing trusses and 4.88 gears on the axels and some other stuff and probably won't be done until the end of August.
Old 07-02-2019
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by capsul View Post
Also interested if it turns out to be the 1st week of September. I'm doing trusses and 4.88 gears on the axels and some other stuff and probably won't be done until the end of August.
Just to be clear, this proposed trip is in 2020. Are you doing the upgrades next year? Maybe you thought we were trying to go this year?
Old 07-02-2019
(Unknown quantity)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon
Johnpa is interested
Old 07-03-2019
Basic Member

Vehicle: 04 jeep grand cherokee
Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
Just to be clear, this proposed trip is in 2020. Are you doing the upgrades next year? Maybe you thought we were trying to go this year?
Jeez, I should have read the post more clearly. I'll be ready by then for sure!