Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 07-22-2014
(Kamikaze)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Default Kamikaze
Easy to moderate will do Carol and I just fine. We're out to see things. At an earlier age I had my share of beating up on my hardware. It was fun, and it was also expensive fun. So now we're out to just cruise around. My FJ is intended to get us in and then to reliably get us back out. No more attempts to flex the frame.

Day trips will be our starters.

Dale and Carol in Fountain Hills
Old 08-29-2014
Basic Member

Vehicle: 85 Jeep CJ7
Default Re: What type of trails do you like to run?
Originally Posted by gcdaz View Post
i like trails that go somewhere--old mine, ghost town, ruins, canyon, whatever... Don't enjoy difficult for the sake of difficult, but don't mind having to get past an obstacle in order to explore. My favorite is to just go and see what's out there. And get back with jeep intact.
exactly!!
Old 11-02-2014
Basic Member

Vehicle: 89 jeep xj
Fishing Re: What type of trails do you like to run?
This is just Bob talking through his hat, for me four wheel drive is just a means to get somewhere to do something that I enjoy, my beach rig is a classic example of that. I never had the chance to run the kind of terrain that is available out west however, I just did a little easy stuff in the 6 months I had my wee jeep in NM before I moved back to south Texas. That is not to say that the beaches here are without own challenges. From what I see in pictures most of the terrain is rock, from many acres large to the size of hens eggs, my terrain is rock too just much smaller, like from sugar to baby powder and it likes to move around (a whole lot) when you drive on it, treading lightly is sometimes difficult to impossible on the beach, the redeeming factor in that is one bull tide (very high tide) can remove all the ruts and berms from the beach. Our barrier islands are transient land unlike mountains, building themselves up and destroying themselves in hours to months. A hurricane can cut a 5' deep half mile wide pass through one of our islands in a day that takes years to close. I know that there are many neat sights to be seen behind the dune line on P.I.N.S. (Padre Island National Seashore) but driving there is forbidden with good reason, one careless person in a 4X4 or 4wheeler can do an unimaginable amount of damage to the plants that anchor the sand in no time at all. During Sharkathon (one of our huge sharkfishing tournaments) the beach becomes almost undrivable from the low tide line to the dune line, in times like that you really learn how to drive on soft sand. I would like to invite any of you "mountain" people to come on down and play in our sand sometime, you may get stuck to the point of really "NEEDING" that winch on the front of your rig but bending sheet metal takes a LOT more effort than some of the places you run through out west. If you want to give shark fishing a go I am up for that too. I have fun seeing the look on peoples faces when I use a fish large enough to be a trophy in a mountain stream as bait, for bait!

Bob