Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 07-14-2019
Administrator

Vehicle: All Varieties
Reputation: Offroad Passport is an unknown quantity at this point
Jeep Where Do You Want to Go in 2020? Calendar Planning & Ideas Discussion
Where do you want to go offroad in 2020?

The Offroad Passport Team has already started shaping up some really great trip ideas that we are going to lead this fall, and in 2020.

Like every year, we're planning a year in advance so you guys can get time off from work, or whatever, and go. And again this year, we're reaching out to our members to help round out the trips & events calendar. This is a club, and to keep it going, we need participation in the form of folks leading or co-leading trips.

We are looking for people with trip ideas, who are willing to lead a trip with our support. We can help with planning, permits, posting in the forum, routes, maps, GPS tracks, etc. (we love this stuff ). No guarantee, but most likely we'll sign up for your run or alt-lead it because that's how we roll.

NEW this year, we need people willing sign up as Alt-leader. Alternate leaders will take over leadership of a trip if the original leader gets sick, or for whatever reason, can't go, or needs to meet later, or whatever. The Alt-leader would be fully supported with gpx tracks, maps, review of the the trip plan, any permits, etc. We hope to eliminate last minute cancellations.

The more people willing to try their hand at leading a trip of any kind, the better! In fact, day runs and one night camp-outs are the most popular; most people can't take off for a week, except maybe once a year. We think it would even be awesome to see us start having meet-n-greets, BBQ's, or similar non-wheeling events here and there!

So now is the time to let us know what trails you'd be up for leading this fall or in 2020. We had such great response last year; let's keep it going! We want to see this club really take on a life of it's own!

Post in this thread or PM us.

Thanks in Advance to Everyone!
Old 07-15-2019
(Mike) (KF7OGY)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1991 YJ
Default Re: Where Do You Want to Go in 2020? Calendar Planning & Ideas Discussion
Awesome! Thanks to George, Diane, and Kristoffer for all their effort and planning!
Old 07-15-2019
(Jarhead) (KE7TOG)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 93 YJ(LS powered)
Default Re: Where Do You Want to Go in 2020? Calendar Planning & Ideas Discussion
I am excited to see this post. I am anxious to get out again after 11 years of no Jeeping. I have a new drivetrain in my Jeep and as such, I want to learn to use it responsibly. It was easy to drive on a 4-cylinder, a manual,, with low gears and lockers. Now I have a V8, an automatic,. with low gears and lockers. I want to ensure that I can keep Jeeping without another long hiatus. As long as it is with good people and good scenery, I would like to go on as many trips as I can tolerate. I will obviously start out with easy and moderate trips, and learn to use my jeep again. I've done rock crawling back in the day and I don't necessarily have an interest to spend an entire weekend doing that. If we should have to navigate washes, rock outcroppings and the like, I won't have any problem doing that. I just don't look forward to taking 4 hours to run 2 miles of trail. I still see that many of my treasured friends are still here and I look forward to sitting around the campfire with you all, and probably most importantly I want to hear Karen's laugh.

I had started writing a quite lengthy list, copying most of it from my old Wells book. It has been so long since I opened the book that when I opened it, all the pages fell out. It was pretty beat up by the heat from our previous trips across the desert and I believe the glue just gave out. Instead of rewriting everything I'm just going to post a picture from the Arizona Wells book. Some items that are on my bucket list are Moab and the Ouray & Silverton area in Colorado! I am open for going anywhere as long as it's not too hot(I have no A/C) and there is potential to learn history. Before my Jeep died I found that I like to research a specific area and collect not only historical data but photos of the region. I would then travel to the area with photos in hand try to reimagine it. I really enjoyed taking new photos from the same vantage point and comparing it to the old ones.

I apologize for the long diatribe. Please see the attached photo of the table of contents from the Wells book. These are the trails I would like to go on, with you all. Hahaha.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg 20190715_224408.jpg (79.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190715_224425.jpg (59.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-16-2019
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Ok Grunt! I'll work on some stuff when I get home later this summer!!! I will be happy and pleased to have you join us on the trail again my friend!
smiles, ladybug
Old 07-16-2019
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Looking forward to seeing you join us on the trails Grunt... Good to see you are getting back into the swing of it all...
Old 07-18-2019
(Marcus)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota FJC
I always thought that Grunt was ORP's imaginary friend.
Old 07-18-2019
(Ryan)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Hi! I wouldn’t mind volunteering to lead a sunset run / stargazing trip up to the top of Harlquahala Mountain out in the far West Valley, north of Tonopah. I’ve led 3 trips to the top (outside of ORP), 2 were night runs. I really enjoy timing it to ensure we arrive at the top about 45min before sunset, enjoy the light show, and stick around for some naked-eye views of the Milky Way for a few hours.

https://vimeo.com/271605412
Filmed this last time with my Phantom

A view of the trail from the top at sunset.

Took the telescope last time and got this image of Arcturus (gold star) and Spica (an orbiting pair of twin blue stars)
Attached Images:
Old 07-18-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Where Do You Want to Go in 2020? Calendar Planning & Ideas Discussion
Originally Posted by 4x4tographer View Post
Hi! I wouldn’t mind volunteering to lead a sunset run / stargazing trip up to the top of Harlquahala Mountain out in the far West Valley, north of Tonopah. I’ve led 3 trips to the top (outside of ORP), 2 were night runs. I really enjoy timing it to ensure we arrive at the top about 45min before sunset, enjoy the light show, and stick around for some naked-eye views of the Milky Way for a few hours.

thanks for posting this Ryan! please go ahead and post this up for any date that works for you. you can PM myself or dzJeepChic if you have any questions or need help getting it on the forum/calendar.

this is exactly what we need, specific runs that folks are willing to lead!

it really means a lot to us when other people get involved. we can help with planning, GPS tracks, maps, permit info, or whatever - but we can only go on so many trips personally.

leading a run or even a whole trip really doesn't have to be a big ordeal! ...you DON'T have to pre-run it and you DON'T have to have all the answers! we've got a great bunch of easy-going members here that understand sometimes you need to turn around or change up the plan last minute.

1 - pick a trail from a map/book/website/etc.
2 - chose a date and a place/time to meet up
3 - start a post inviting people to come with you

..that's really all there is to it!

Old 07-18-2019
(Benny)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2015 JKU Rubicon
I really, really want to do the Rubicon trail. Never been but would jump on that trip in a heart beat. Now that we are in Pinetop I will work on exploring the north more for some trips. I would like to get to know the owners of the land where the Cracks (little Moab) are located. I was told it’s mostly private property but there is a group up north that has permission to run the trails. Now I just need to find that group and make some friends
Old 07-19-2019
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Originally Posted by squinko View Post
I really, really want to do the Rubicon trail. Never been but would jump on that trip in a heart beat. Now that we are in Pinetop I will work on exploring the north more for some trips. I would like to get to know the owners of the land where the Cracks (little Moab) are located. I was told it’s mostly private property but there is a group up north that has permission to run the trails. Now I just need to find that group and make some friends
We're planning on running the Ducy Ershim next year, which is Rubicon-esque. I think it's more difficult though. I'll be gathering information and post what I find.
I'm friends with the people who have permission to run the Cracks in Heber, but I've never been. We were invited a few times, but the camping conditions were pretty harsh if you don't have a camper or RV, so we skipped.