Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-30-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Re: opinions on dual battery plans?
And someone(?); joined from phurnace AZ just to add a little humor to a thread that has jumped the track!

I believe that it’s only the third time? in the history of the internet that a thread has gotten off track. D

Sorry I suggested you post there Kris.
Old 01-30-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Can I please ask what brand Lithium jump packs that you tried that wouldn’t start your JK?

I was surprised to read that fact in your other thread since I’ve seen some pretty impressive demos given by the tool truck vendors when I happened to be at our Michigan proving grounds. Makes me question the logic of buying one of the units. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
Can I please ask what brand Lithium jump packs that you tried that wouldn’t start your JK?

I was surprised to read that fact in your other thread since I’ve seen some pretty impressive demos given by the tool truck vendors when I happened to be at our Michigan proving grounds. Makes me question the logic of buying one of the units. Thanks.
this is the unit i have, no-name type chinese thing but with some of the higher current ratings i've seen on them and good reviews: http://amzn.to/2Ep4Dxr

it was at 92% charged and would not start my rig when the factory battery seemingly shorted a cell recently.

when i first got it, i tested it right away with a full charge to see if it would start the JK all by itself with no factory battery in place and that would not work either.

it has a relay and some other electronics in a little node on the positive cable going to the battery clamps. i could hear it click off in both cases, and there's a status light that then tells you nope, nope, nope.

a friend with a JK also tried using his Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start without a factory battery in place and it didn't work. i don't remember which model he has, but that brand is well established. his has worked successfully several times on friends/coworkers cars and trucks that had the tell-tale sign of a drained battery - a "click" but no turn-over.

i could have sworn i saw Antigravity state somewhere that they aren't intended to work without a normal battery in place... but i can't find that info right now anywhere.

i think they are a great thing to have and probably work on the 80% rule... just not as foolproof as a friend with a running rig and some jumper cables!
Old 01-30-2018
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 97 Jeep Wrangler
If you want opinions on the set up, Pirate 4x4 will certainly give you some opinions.
Old 01-30-2018
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 97 Jeep Wrangler

Old 01-31-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
If you want opinions on the set up, Pirate 4x4 will certainly give you some opinions.
i think i'm all good on random opinions - on expo portal i should have just stuck to the 3 questions i had instead of asking for general feedback!

one guy over there had me seriously considering scaling this all way back for simplicity/cost/effort... but then i was thinking about it more last night and when have i ever NOT overdone a project?

Last edited by theksmith; 02-01-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

because the first post was already so long, i left out the details regarding how i would monitor the system...

most pre-packed dual battery systems have multi-colored LEDs for status, or flash a light when there's a problem. no doubt that's the simplest thing for the random consumer who might not be electronics savvy, but i'd rather see actual voltages...

i'm planning to add this dual led voltmeter to my existing overhead switch/radio panel:

it's designed to look like a common rocker switch and doesn't take up much room. i should be able to fit it next to my ham radio faceplate instead of giving up a switch position. they also sell a round version.

so here's the full system schematic, with the voltmeter:

the circuit design is such that the meter will only be on if the ignition switch is in the Run or Accessory positions so it doesn't deplete the batteries constantly.

- with the ignition switch on but the Jeep not yet running, i'll see the individual battery voltages which gives me an idea of their health (should both be around 12.7V typically). i can quickly just flip on the key for a second to check this anytime, like after camping a couple days with the fridge running.

- once the rig starts, the "main" readout should jump to whatever the alternator is putting out (should be about 13.5V - 14.5V).

- after 20 seconds the backup battery should be combined in for charging. then both the "main" and "aux" readouts would show the alternator voltage. seeing both readouts at the higher voltage tells me the DVSR is working.
Old 02-10-2018
(Marcus)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota FJC
Thanks for the link to the voltmeter. I just ordered one. My LED display on the Luna system always looks like my batteries are almost dead when they're actually just fine. If they get low enough for the lights to start flashing, I'll put in on a slow overnight charge.
Old 02-10-2018
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Vehicle: Jeep JK Rubi Ultd 2013
Originally Posted by jgaz View Post

I was surprised to read that fact in your other thread since I’ve seen some pretty impressive demos given by the tool truck vendors when I happened to be at our Michigan proving grounds. Makes me question the logic of buying one of the units.
I have used a NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter numerous times with several vehicles (including my JK). I can start several times on a single charge.

I also had a bad experience with a cheapo Chinese one: tried to jump the JK when the jumper was at %50. Its battery (that of the jumper) suddenly expanded, and cracked the case. Luckily it didn't explode or something.

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
thanks for the comments so far guys!

if you have a JK and more money than time or tools, the Genesis Offroad kit looks like the way to go. it has every single thing you need including the tray: https://www.genesisoffroad.com/JKDua.../131-jkdbk.htm
I have the Genesis kit and like it for several reasons:
- it supports higher amps than the Luna (the JK has an 120A alternator) - Luna only supports 80A.
- it has a nice distribution bus
- push button to join the two batteries together when needed (and a auto timer to disconnect them after few mins)
- very, very nice tray to hold two over sized Odyssey Batteries with easy access to both batteries (not one on top of the other like some other mounts have them)
- Made in the USA with real phone support - I had to call them twice to replace the isolator (I managed to short it twice)

Sometimes I think you do get what you pay for. Also, once you add up all the cables, the buses, the isolator, the switches, the battery tray the price is actually very reasonable.

Need a CB, HAM, Mic, Accessory Mount for your Jeep?

Visit our Online Store and follow us on Instagram, Facebook and/or Twitter

Last edited by JeepUniq; 02-10-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2018
(john)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon
What about mounting one or both batteries in the back to eliminate the heat factor?