Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 4 Weeks Ago
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Originally Posted by scottL View Post
Here’s my angle.. on top of the world with the kbro
Nice picture. You can’t see it in this picture but I liked your “big foot” warning flag that I noticed in other pics from your trip.

This patch usually rides along on my day pack.
Attached Images:
Old 4 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
This patch usually rides along on my day pack.
lol, nice!

this awesome photo Aimee took near the beginning of Milt's Mile shows the flag well:

i got it from Devil Woman Flags, through Amazon and it survived the week in perfect condition, including a few miles at highway speeds. they're a small family business in northern California that makes a ton of different dune flags, including custom ones.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
lol, nice!

this awesome photo Aimee took near the beginning of Milt's Mile shows the flag well:

i got it from Devil Woman Flags, through Amazon and it survived the week in perfect condition, including a few miles at highway speeds. they're a small family business in northern California that makes a ton of different dune flags, including custom ones.
Yup! That’s the picture where i saw it.

Nice shot Aimee!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
tried to work on the Jeep last night, but the neighbors just dropped in unannounced...

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Holy Javelina!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

random shot - i was out tooling around the other evening and noticed the neat looking clouds:

Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

early mornin splorin

Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

installed a Synergy chromoly tie-rod and stabilizer clamp this week. i had bent my factory rod on the Kingman trip and with 75k miles on the TRE's i figured it was a good time to upgrade the whole thing.

i had been planning to get one of the 7075 aluminum steering setups with offset GM 1-ton TREs, but you have to ream your knuckles and pitman arm for those whereas the Synergy ends do not require any modifications. then this photo convinced me that the Synergy TREs would be plenty strong:

i didn't upgrade the drag-link yet since i just recently did a flip kit and got fresh ends for it in the process.

long term plans are to eventually get Rancho knuckles to raise this tie-rod and then round things out with the matching Synergy drag link when mine gets sloppy.

Last edited by theksmith; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:17 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

a few months ago i modified my automatic air-up feature to handle all 4 tires at once, details here...

Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Thumbs up Re: Late to the Party: theksmith's 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
both ends of my front axle were dripping diff fluid for several weeks so i had Absolute Offroad replace the inner axle seals just before our UT trip. i noticed the driver side started leaking again at some point during the trip though. Jason stood behind their work and offered to replace the seal again, no charge.

there was some scoring on the shafts which they had tried to buff out the first time. i decided to go ahead and have those replaced while things were apart to hopefully ensure the leaks don't return again soon. i upgraded to alloy shafts and also asked them to replace the u-joints as a maintenance item.

Jason not only matched Amazon's price on the Yukon chromoly inner shafts, but he took apart a full set he had at the shop to sell me just the inners so i could get the Jeep back the same day instead of having to order them and wait. the only labor charge was for replacing 2 u-joints.

so props to Absolute Offroad for the great customer service!

FYI, i only upgraded the inners because my plan is to eventually get the Teraflex 8-lug full floating hub and big-brake kits, which include new alloy stub shafts.