Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-26-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Tow Truck JK hard top leaking near A-pillar
the issue:

my JKU with the hardtop and "freedom panels" had a leak during hard rains and some carwashes pretty much since i got it. there were initially just a few drops of water coming into the cabin somewhere near the A-pillar... it would drip on the door handles or my knee and sometimes run down the interior A-pillar trim.

over time the problem got worse, especially on the driver side, to the point that it was a "pouring" instead of dripping. water would rush in when i turned hard or was off-camber.

the fix:

last week i finally had the dealer take a look and they fixed it (no cost, under warranty). my service advisor said she'd even seen JKs with less than 200 miles come in for the same issue, so there appears to have been a manufacturing defect for at least some batch of JKs.

they replaced the entire rubber seal that goes along the top of the window frame, part number 55397454AH.

here's the driver side end of the new header seal:

those holes in the end let water out from around the freedom panels, so they have to line up with this pocket at the top of the door weatherstrip:

on my original header seal, the ends came down too far and so the door weatherstrip actually closed on them and then they were directing water from the top right into the cab.

here's a shot of how it should look with the door closed (my original header seal came down much further):

other fixes:

if you have a similar leak, search the net as there have been several issues with how the top seals. soft-tops are particularly notorious for this problem and may need a different fix.

it's also apparently common for a little flap on the header seal to just get folded up or pinched and cause a leak. check out this post by banditman on Wrangler Forum for more details.

Old 01-26-2017
(Chris)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Default Re: JK hard top leaking near A-pillar
Old 01-27-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
nice!
Old 12-28-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

the passenger side started leaking again earlier this year, much less than before the above fix was completed, but still in the exact same spot.

the Jeep is at the dealership now. i've taken it in a couple times for this since the original windshield header seal replacement and they said they couldn't re-create the issue. this time i sent photos...

they are replacing the seal/weather-stripping surround on passenger door today, so hopefully this is the final fix.

Last edited by theksmith; 12-28-2017 at 07:34 AM.