Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 04-16-2016
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Weather Sunny Re: Vehicle mounted camp area light (LED strip)
Originally Posted by curbjumper View Post
Hi Kristoffer, there are so many benefits of viewing the undercarriage area at night vs. day. It is much easier to ID an issue or repair.

Me...I would probably nail the LED's the day after a trail run with the power washer without thinking. What suggestions would you recommend to install & protect the LED's? Thanks.
there are several companies making dedicated rock light kits using different types of pods and most claim to be waterproof - you'd have to look at the individual construction to see how well you think their claims would hold up.

however, if you did your own using LED strips, just make sure to get the fully encased type. from the place i used for this project, scroll down on this page and you'll see they offer IP68 "whole injection" as one of the waterproofing options: http://www.ledlightsworld.com/smd-50...leds-p-92.html

another place i've purchased from several times is Oznium here in the US and they offer a similar fully potted strip: https://www.oznium.com/smd-bar

i wouldn't be worried about the pressure washer at all with fully epoxied lights. note that those kind don't come adhesive backed, so you'll need to figure out some little clamps or whatever to mount them (which is probably better for long term durability anyway).

be sure to use quality adhesive-lined (aka marine) heat shrink on the electrical connections between the strips.

i've just recently ordered another set of those cheap COB style daytime running lights (which are definitely not waterproof) for an experiment. i'm going to wrap each one fully in clear 3/4" adhesive lined heat shrink tubing, leaving about an inch on each end which i'll squish flat when i apply the heat. that should make an inexpensive but fully submersible rock light. the flattened heatshrink extending past the ends will also allow me to screw it to something with one screw through each of those "flaps". we'll see how that goes!
Old 08-21-2018
(Marc)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Default Re: Vehicle mounted camp area light (LED strip)
Among the PLETHORA of things I have coming this week is this little gem which I came across yesterday while searching for something else

Brawlee Jeep Wrangler LED Rear Glass Lift Gate Dome Light Bar
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KR77Y9/

I don't know what the color temp of the strip is, but I figure if it craps out, then I can just take out the strip and solder in a new one that is RGB and add in a controller, the nice part about that one is that it has an aluminum channel and a diffuser (which I think is white but we will see)
Old 08-21-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mesach View Post
Among the PLETHORA of things I have coming this week is this little gem which I came across yesterday while searching for something else

Brawlee Jeep Wrangler LED Rear Glass Lift Gate Dome Light Bar
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KR77Y9/

I don't know what the color temp of the strip is, but I figure if it craps out, then I can just take out the strip and solder in a new one that is RGB and add in a controller, the nice part about that one is that it has an aluminum channel and a diffuser (which I think is white but we will see)
great find!!
Old 08-27-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Lightbulb Re: Vehicle mounted camp area light (LED strip)
mesach reviving this thread got me off my butt... one of the wires going from the hardtop to my camp strip light had an intermittent break, so i finally spliced in a new section.

while i was in there i decided to ditch the dimmer and instead have a second light in red for times i don't want to overly-enlarge my pupils!

i already had an extra pair of "COB DRL" strips i accidentally ordered in red when i was doing my rock lights.

a new 3 position toggle (on-off-on) was installed in place of the old dimmer & switch combo.

the single red strip puts out plenty of light for its purpose and has a good spread even mounted up inside the hardtop.

my original white strip light is still mounted on the rear window, just wired to the other position on the new switch now.
Old 12-30-2018
Basic Member

Vehicle: 05 Jeep LJR
I'll be considering this mod when the weather breaks. Too damn cold around here now!