Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 07-20-2017
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Default Re: I got a JK for the RV
Looks like a GREAT way to see the sights and relax... Enjoy your new freedoms ! ! !
Old 07-20-2017
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Very nice set up Benny! Enjoy your trip!!
smiles, ladybug
Old 07-26-2017
(Benny)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2015 JKU Rubicon
The first parts for the new JKU build arrived today!! The ACE rear bumper and tire carrier! Hopefully the front bumper and stuff will show up soon.

The lift, tires and rims will be next. Now I just need to figure out what route I want to go with the lift.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg IMG_2934.jpg (80.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-04-2017
(Benny)
Premium Club Member

Got the front Rock Hard aluminum stubby bumper and Zeon 8000-S winch installed. The bumper is pretty light so it made for an easy install. The cool thing about the Rock Hard bumper is they have brackets that bolt onto the bumper for the Blue Ox tow bar I use on the motorhome. Direct hookup into the frame and I don't have to have one those low hanging brackets. Below are the before and after pics.

Back bumper and tire carrier are sitting and waiting to be installed. Stay tuned......
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg IMG_2965.jpg (71.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2966.jpg (67.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-06-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
looks good and that tow bar fitment is a great feature!
Old 09-21-2017
(Benny)
Premium Club Member

The build up is coming along. I installed the rear ACE bumper and spare tire carrier. Letzroll Offroad installed the lift for me since my warranty folks were giving me a hard time about doing it myself and said they may or may not warranty it if something happened.

We put on a 3.5" Metalcloak Game Changer lift and added ADS shocks. I went out of my comfort zone and bought a set of Black Rhino Armory Wheels (17x9.5). I normally go for the traditional beadlock look like most folks do. Went a little different. These are a solid wheel and look very military. I love them!!!! The tires are 35x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

I finally got it all hooked up to the RV. The plans from here is to truss the front axle and I am adding a new tie rod and drag link from Letzroll Offroad. I still need to install all the electronics (CB, HAM, Speakers, Lights) that are piled up in the garage.

I am keeping the factory finders for now until I am done playing around with the RV and towing the JKU. Long term plans are to re-gear, axles upgrades and 37" tires. Didn't want to go too big while I am running around the country towing this thing.

I will add better pics later after the rest of the work is completed.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg IMG_3168.jpg (60.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3169.jpg (74.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3173.jpg (72.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-21-2017
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
the new wheels, the stance, it all looks great!

have you taken it up any big hills with the 35's and factory gears yet? curious how you think it feels with that setup - i'm afraid to go all the way to 35's without regearing...
Old 09-21-2017
(Benny)
Premium Club Member

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
the new wheels, the stance, it all looks great!

have you taken it up any big hills with the 35's and factory gears yet? curious how you think it feels with that setup - i'm afraid to go all the way to 35's without regearing...
Not yet. Just around town and it is a little slower than the stock set up. But it's still way faster than my TJ was so I'm happy with it.
Old 09-21-2017
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Nice looking rig. Both of them!
Old 11-25-2017
(Benny)
Premium Club Member

I took the JK out the other day with some folks to the FJ area and ran Elvis with them. Elvis and I have a history. The three times previously when I ran the trail I broke something. With the CJ, I busted a tire and got stuck so bad I had to use my highlift to get unstuck. Ended up bending a few things underneath. With the TJ, I broke a rear axle and bent my stock steering like a pretzel on tow different runs. Now that I have the JKU with a nice Metalcloak set up I gave it another try.

I was able to get through everything with only some minor scratches to the rims and front bumper. While traveling back to the air up spot I thought to myself "Finally Elvis no longer owns me". Then it happened, while I was airing up my tires I could smell gear oil. As I looked under the rear axle there was diff fluid leaking pretty steady out of my rear diff. At some point I peeled the rear stock diff back enough to cause a leak. Ugh!!! Thankfully I always carry extra fluids so I was able to keep it top off and got home ok. The only good part is when something breaks I get to UPGRADE!!!! I picked up a couple Poison Spider diff covers and Lube Lockers gaskets and changed both diff covers. So far so good. They seems very beefy compared to the stock one.

One day Elvis and I will have it out again and hope to come out on top.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg IMG_3370.jpg (63.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3362.jpg (57.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3364.jpg (66.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3367.jpg (76.2 KB, 9 views)