Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 02-05-2019
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Default Re: Crawler Conceptz Ultimate Series Aluminum JK Front Winch Bumper & Smittybilt X2O Winch Install
Looks great Kris
Old 02-05-2019
(Karen) (KG7UHP)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep LJ Wrangler
Default Re: Crawler Conceptz Ultimate Series Aluminum JK Front Winch Bumper & Smittybilt X2O Winch Install
Very nice!! You do nice work!
smiles, ladybug
Old 02-06-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
Lookin' good, K! Can't wait to see the finished results!
Originally Posted by jgaz View Post
Looks great Kris
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
Very nice!! You do nice work!
smiles, ladybug
thanks everyone!

getting there... the vacuum pump relocation bracket came in yesterday and i should have some time today to get that modified and mounted.
Old 02-06-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Monday i did the wiring.

i had to make longer cables to go from the solenoid box to the winch itself because of where i wanted to mount it. i cut up the long 3 gauge battery connection cables that came with the Winch to make these new short runs. then i bought some new 2 gauge cable to re-make those long runs with.

you might have noticed in that photo that i also painted the sway bar disconnect motor. it's visible after the bumper is on (due to the large opening for the winch) and having it and all the cables and zip ties matching black just cleans up the look in there.

the battery connection leads run up behind the passenger headlight, beside the airbox and then to the battery. i wrapped the positive one in split-loom to help protect it from rubbing against something and shorting out.

most people just connect a winch directly to the battery, but i'd hate to see what happens if there ever was a short with those large gauge cables, so i fused mine. hopefully a 500 Amp rating is big enough, the largest draw mentioned for this winch that i saw was just over 450 amps but i know the initial kick-on current can be really high for a large electric motor so if it blows then i'll need to source a slow-blow style fuse.

unfortunately, no-one makes a 500 Amp MIDI fuse, so i had to use a new type for the winch. MEGA would have been logical, but it seems the ANL style is much more common, so i went with that. i need to cleanup my little fuse tray area some and will do so when i eventually add a dual battery system.

items used for this wiring project:

- Blue Sea ANL Covered Fuse Holder
- 500 Amp fuses
- 10ft black & 10ft red 2 gauge cable
- 1/2" Adhesive Lined 3:1 Heat Shrink Wrap
- 2 gauge 3/8" Ring Terminals
- 4 gauge 3/8" Ring Terminals
- 1/2" corrugated split tubing

i crimp these large gauge lungs with a hammer crimper, then use a torch to heat them and fill with solder, then finish it up with the marine heat-shrink.

also, the heat-shrink i linked to above is really thick-walled and my normal butane hot-blower took forever to shrink them so i ended up using an old Ryobi electric heat gun which made short work of them.
Old 02-07-2019
(Adriaan) (ZS1AVN)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited
Awesome work theksmith!
Old 02-07-2019
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Cool stuff, and nice workmanship Kris...
Old 02-07-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

thanks guys!
Old 02-07-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

i just had to trim this one little ear off the Bulldog Winch vacuum pump relocation bracket.

then i was able to mount the pump upside down on it and attach it to the back of the winch tray. i ditched the elbow connector and replaced the short section of hose that had begun to crack.

with the pump relocation completed, i could finally finish the install! here are a few shots of the new bumper from different angles:

and from a little distance, here's Gadget's new look:

Old 02-08-2019
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2001 jeep cherokee
Old 02-08-2019
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Looks awesome! Painting it was the right choice.