Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 10-25-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: JK Wrangler Push-to-Start, Hands-Free Keyless Entry & Remote Start
made a little demo video this morning:

Last edited by theksmith; 12-21-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2018
(Bryant)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2017 Jeep JKU
So i initially saw this post when "Ulyssefreak1"did on wrangler forum but after seeing the way you did it, clean and with the covers for the lock cyl I'm in for the project. I ordered everything but I can't find what you used for the ignition cover. Where did you get your cover? My JKU is 6sp so I don't think I'm gonna do the remote start for obvious reasons. Any suggestions or pointer I should be aware of? Thank you as well for putting the configurations that worked for you on the post. I think I'm a bit more confident in doing the install now than when I read the initial post.
Old 12-13-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: JK Wrangler Push-to-Start, Hands-Free Keyless Entry & Remote Start
Originally Posted by SinisterJK420 View Post
So i initially saw this post when "Ulyssefreak1"did on wrangler forum but after seeing the way you did it, clean and with the covers for the lock cyl I'm in for the project. I ordered everything but I can't find what you used for the ignition cover. Where did you get your cover? My JKU is 6sp so I don't think I'm gonna do the remote start for obvious reasons. Any suggestions or pointer I should be aware of? Thank you as well for putting the configurations that worked for you on the post. I think I'm a bit more confident in doing the install now than when I read the initial post.
hopefully i didn't leave out any important details but it's quite a little project so no guarantees! i'll help you any way i can on here but undertake this all at your own risk - i'm sure you read the "i nearly died" part already

for the ignition cover, i simply went to Autozone/O'Reilly's and looked for a plastic trim clip that seemed about the right size, then cut off the little pin portion of it. i used double sided 3M tape to stick the remaining disc onto the ignition and it's held quite well.

i *think* the plastic clip i used was a Ford hood insulation retainer.

which version of the Easyguard did you get (which style remote)?
Old 12-14-2018
(Bryant)
Basic Member

I got the EC02, same remotes that look like the mopar ones as I saw on both threads. I have the harnes and the EC02 waiting on the other items to come in. Hey if I'm leaving out the remote start would I have to wire in the resistors and the delay relay?
Old 12-16-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by SinisterJK420 View Post
I got the EC02, same remotes that look like the mopar ones as I saw on both threads. I have the harnes and the EC02 waiting on the other items to come in. Hey if I'm leaving out the remote start would I have to wire in the resistors and the delay relay?
yeah even if you don't do remote start, the Omega module is what actually handles telling the Jeep to start and stay running once you push the button from the EC02... so you need the resistor and time-delay relay to take over for it when it eventually times-out, or the Jeep just dies.
Old 12-21-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

i was looking back over this thread and photos i had taken during the install and found a few things that i forgot to add...

remotes/fobs

the main Easyguard EC002 comes with 2 remote fobs that are similar in style to some Audis. they have a hidden key blank, with the idea that you cut it to match your factory key to unlock the vehicle in an dead battery situation or for the glovebox and center console locks.

the included blanks aren't the correct shape for Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge vehicles though. i ended up just using a Dremel to cut down a cheap Walmart copy of my factory key.

Easyguard also sells a bunch of other versions of the EC002 with different style fobs.

i went with the EC002-FO version because the Ford style fob is slightly smaller and i liked the flip-out key. however, the Jeep key was too wide to fold into the "FO" style fob at first. i did a little more Dremel action on both the key and the inside of the fob to get it to work.

i also ordered a couple of other style fobs to try out through email exchange with Eddy Kwok at Easyguard. they were around $25 each including shipping, paid via PayPal.

here's a comparison shot of my factory Jeep remote key, a factory chip key, the standard EC002 fob, and the EC002-FO fob:

a real backup key

my Jeep has the factory SKIM system, so i still needed a chip key as a backup in order to start the thing in the traditional way if the Easyguard system were to ever go haywire. i figured out how to remove the chip from a factory style transponder key and install it in the Easyguard "FO" fob.

this part isn't necessary at all for the Easyguard system to work, i just wanted to have a backup and didn't want to carry or hide yet another key.

first i bought a blank Chrysler type chip key and had it cut for the Jeep and then self-programmed it.

here's the approximate location of the transponder chip within the key head:

with even more Dremeling and a quick tap of a wood chisel to split the key, the chip was free!

then later if saw this blank key which appears to have an easily removable chip!

originally i had planned to keep the chip in something on the keychain and just hold it next to the ignition cylinder while cranking if ever needed...

however, it turned out the FO style fob has a perfect place to wedge the chip in that is close enough to the ignition for it to be seen by the SKIM antenna.
see the little blank space in the fob housing, just beneath the chip in this photo? looks like it was made for this actually!

i tested it and my custom chipped fob/key worked perfectly to start the Jeep even with the Easyguard & Omega modules removed.

just FYI, if your rig has the SKIM system and you try to start it without a valid transponder chip - it will start, but only runs for about 3 seconds and then shuts off and a red dot in the cluster will blink at you.
Old 12-27-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

i also tried out the EC002-O style fob, which is wide/tall but nice and thin:

the spare key on this one completely removes from the electronics (much like the default EC002 style fob).

i still wanted to have the option to start the rig with this emergency key (just as a backup to the Easyguard/Omega system), so i glued another factory key transponder chip inside the plastic shell of the remote. if i ever need to start the rig with this key then i simply hold the corner of the fob against the ignition cylinder while cranking.

i honestly can't decide which style i prefer. if you have a thin front-pocket type wallet, the "O" style fits nicely against that. the "FO" style is more convenient if you need to lock your glovebox or center console often.
Old 12-27-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

one last change i forgot to document... i added a little alarm siren directly wired to the Easyguard. then i turned off the "Sound Horn On Lock" option in the Jeep.

i had found the horn to be too loud beeping every time i walked away from the rig, yet i was paranoid about whether it was really locking and so i still wanted some sort of sound. this little piezo siren makes a much less jarring little chirp when the rig locks.

i had to run wires from the Easyguard out into the engine bay and then placed the siren up high against the firewall and tucked into a corner. it's not specifically exterior rated, but i figured for under $10, it was worth a try. so far it's held up.

this siren is fairly low current and so i was able to wire it directly to the Easyguard Alarm output without a relay.
Old 12-28-2018
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Impressive project Kris. I bet there’s not too many people willing to dig this deep into their daily driver like you did.

Your documentation on this project outstanding.
I’m going to bet this thread gets linked from a lot of other forums.
Old 01-01-2019
(Bryant)
Basic Member

Ok so I had some time and mounted the push button to the new bezel, I trimmed some of the lighter mount to get the button as flush as I wanted without using the bulky rubber trim. I should get to the wiring this week. What size resistors did you get nad where did you end up putting the resistors and the relay to. I'm probaly go a make a harness with the wires so it's nice And clean