Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-03-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: JK Wrangler Push-to-Start, Hands-Free Keyless Entry & Remote Start
Originally Posted by SinisterJK420 View Post
Ok so I had some time and mounted the push button to the new bezel, I trimmed some of the lighter mount to get the button as flush as I wanted without using the bulky rubber trim. I should get to the wiring this week. What size resistors did you get nad where did you end up putting the resistors and the relay to. I'm probaly go a make a harness with the wires so it's nice And clean
i used 1/4 watt resistors, but 1/8 or 1/2 watt should be fine as well. i just zip-tied the relay and the heat-shrunk little resistor pack into the wiring harness and hid all the modules and wires up in the dash well.
Old 01-12-2019
Basic Member

Vehicle: Wrangler
Just bought all the parts, should be in by Saturday. Perfect for a funday Sunday project. Thanks for this great write-up.
Old 01-15-2019
Basic Member

One quick question. Did you cut the blank that came with the EC002-FO version fob, or did you find another flip out style jeep key to then cut? Seems kind of skinny and might not work.
Old 01-15-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Ballistix View Post
One quick question. Did you cut the blank that came with the EC002-FO version fob, or did you find another flip out style jeep key to then cut? Seems kind of skinny and might not work.
i had regular non-chip key copy made at Walmart for like $10 and then cut it up with a Dremel to make a custom blade for the FO style fob.

a standard Chrysler style blank that has worked with most Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler cars for the past 15 years will be available at any place that makes keys. it cuts up like butter with a Dremel metal cut-off wheel, or you could even just use a hacksaw and a file pretty easily.

i also still had to Dremel out the inside edges of the FO fob housing just a bit in order for the actual keyed portion to fold down into it. my particular keyed section had just one "bump" that was nearly the full width of the blank which prevented it from folding in otherwise.

Old 01-19-2019
Basic Member

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at my local home depot.

Finally got all the parts and I'm starting the wiring and I think I might have found a discrepancy. You said the Easyguard 20p has two large gauge red wires, but I don't see those. I do see that the Easyguard 6p and two large gauge red wires, is that what you meant? If so, do we just substitute Easyguard 20p for 6p? Photos for reference.

20190119_115330.jpg
20190119_115315.jpg

Last edited by Ballistix; 01-19-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: adding image
Old 01-19-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at my local home depot.

Finally got all the parts and I'm starting the wiring and I think I might have found a discrepancy. You said the Easyguard 20p has two large gauge red wires, but I don't see those. I do see that the Easyguard 6p and two large gauge red wires, is that what you meant? If so, do we just substitute Easyguard 20p for 6p? Photos for reference.

Attachment 4059
Attachment 4060
nice catch! yes it should have said Easyguard 6P has 2 large red wires. i just went back and and fixed the 3 places i could find where i screwed that up in post #4 - so it should read correctly as of now.
Old 01-19-2019
Basic Member

Was so confused for a sec, but then just looked over the wiring diagram and it made sense. Onto making a resistor pack and wiring in the relay now.

20190119_160225.jpg

Last edited by Ballistix; 01-19-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

nice soldering iron choice - i've got the older analog dial version of that same one!
Old 01-20-2019
Basic Member

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
nice soldering iron choice - i've got the older analog dial version of that same one!
Really wish I had that one. Reading the manual on this one to change the temps was eye-crossing...
Old 01-20-2019
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Ballistix, i just deleted some of our discussion so that it won't confuse anyone in the future... i also re-created the diagram to correctly reference the 6P harness...

so just to be clear, in this diagram:

all 4 of the wires on the right are joined together:

Omega module 4P E, Blue/White (GWR -In) + Easyguard 3P, White (GWR -Out) + delay relay pin 87 + delay relay pin 85

also, thanks for letting me know about the errors and places that weren't clear.