Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 11-14-2018
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Vehicle: Jeep JK Rubi Ultd 2013
Default How to get rid of your CB/HAM/GMRS external speaker and route the sound through your stereo
OK. My Jeep will look like a Christmas tree, with three antennas (one for the CB, one for the GMRS, one for the HAM). Soon I'll have to buy a trailer to carry all the external speakers (one for the CB, one for the ... ). Perhaps I'm not the only one annoyed with this situation, so here's a possible solution, not much more expensive that buying an external speaker:

Meet the Wiz (https://audiointerrupt.com/Content/Wizard.html). Not sure if this was already suggested in this form - my apologies if it was.

This is a very simple device that works by interrupting the sound signal to one of your stereo's speaker (I'll set-up for front driver), while your CB/GMRS/CB radio receives a signal (someone speaks). It does that by sitting in serial with your speaker of your choice. This means that you need to splice the speaker wire, but it is a really simple splice - check their web site for the detailed diagram.

Few caveats - none really any different than what you have now:
1 - The CB/GMRS/HAM radio will drive the voice (only when receiving) of the speaker, which means that it will not be able to compete with your radio's amp. It will still mute the speaker, but you should have your stereo at a reasonable volume.
2 - It will NOT mute the stereo when you transmit - they have a model that does that, but it's more expensive. This is another reason why the stereo can't blast at full power.
3 - I've made an inquiry to them to find out if I can connect 3 Wiz units in parallel, so that all the CB/GMRS/HAM talk will come to one single speaker. I'll update the post if this is not recommended. In that case I'll have one radio on the Left Driver, one on the Back Driver, and yet another on on the Right Driver.

Now, if only I could find a reasonably price solution to my antennas...

Oh, off-course there is one last problem: three mics. Well, thanks God for JeepUniq.com - they have some great mounts to address this

Need a CB, HAM, Mic, Accessory Mount for your Jeep?

Visit our Online Store and follow us on Instagram, Facebook and/or Twitter
Old 11-14-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How to get rid of your CB/HAM/GMRS external speaker and route the sound through your stereo
Originally Posted by JeepUniq View Post
3 - I've made an inquiry to them to find out if I can connect 3 Wiz units in parallel, so that all the CB/GMRS/HAM talk will come to one single speaker. I'll update the post if this is not recommended. In that case I'll have one radio on the Left Driver, one on the Back Driver, and yet another on on the Right Driver.
you may find it advantageous to have them on different speakers anyway... so you can easily tell them apart to know which device to respond on.
Old 11-14-2018
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Default Re: How to get rid of your CB/HAM/GMRS external speaker and route the sound through your stereo
Agreed, if assuming that all three devices are on at the same time. My assumption is that I'll only have one - at the most two (HAM +CB or HAM + GMRS), so I might go with Left Front Driver Speaker - HAM, and Right Front Driver (or maybe Left Back Driver) for CB + GMRS.

Old 11-20-2018
(Marc)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon
You could rig some sort of light to indicate which device is sending the signal
Old 11-20-2018
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by mesach View Post
You could rig some sort of light to indicate which device is sending the signal
Good idea. Talking with the owner (John - very nice guy) though, he suggested to go with one Wiz, and a second one with a 2 way switch. Actually he suggested one Wiz with a 3 way, but since I want to be able to keep two devices on (HAM + CB or HAM + GMRS), I’ll go with two devices plus a switch.

I might even get rid of the switch and have both the CB and the GMRS connected in parallel, but powering them on with a ON/OFF/ON toggle switch.

Once I’ll get the units installed I’ll update the post.

Old 12-20-2018
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

A quick update on this: I've did it and I love it!!!

Here's the set-up I've ended up with:

HARDWARE:
- 2 x External Speaker Wizard (WIZ) by Audiointerrupt.com

PRODUCT QUALITY
- Made in the USA by an artisan electronics guru. All electronics are encased in a small plastic box (about 2" x 3" x 1") filled with clear epoxy. Totally water/dust proof! Plus it looks cool.
- A small dink for the thin gauge wires used to split the amp <-> speaker wire.

SET-UP
Super easy in my case since I use an aftermarket amp:
- power for both WIZs is shared with the AMP. If the amp is on, the WIZ is on.
- the wires for the WIZ are clearly labeled. Although small gauge, the run is quite short, so sound quality is not impacted. One WIZ intercepts the CH1, the other CH2 (front L & R channels): AMP CH1 -> WIZ -> Speaker FL, AMP CH2 -> WIZ -> Speaker FR
- the input sound from the HAM and CB/GMRS radios is made via a regular 3.5mm jack, same with how an external speaker would connect. The wires are long enough to route them wherever your radio is.
- my AMP is under the front passenger seat, and the WIZs are secured there as well. My HAM is under the driver seat, while the CB and GMRS radios are hidden behind the glove box.
- lastly, there is a wire on each WIZ, which makes them mute each other (more in the How it Works section)
- one WIZ was factory outfitted (for free) with a selector switch for me to pick between the source input as either the CB or the GMRS radio.

HOW_IT_WORKS

My HAM's sound goes into the front-driver speaker, while the CB/GMRS radios route into the front passenger speaker. Due to the mute wire between the two devices, both front speakers get muted when either the HAM WIZ or the CB/GMRS WIZ are triggered.

I've noticed no degradation whatsoever in the sound quality. Also no noise/buzz/etc. Cristal clear!

My AMP is 75W per channel (not that I can ever drive it that hard), and the WIZs handle that w/o issue. The CB and the HAM output gets out quite loud as well. Their sound level is set by the volume on the radios themselves - set it and forget it.

STILL_TO_DO
To test the set-up in real world. Two things that I'll pay attention to:
- the delay (if any) when the WIZs will kick in. In other words, if someone talks, will I miss their first words for a sec? TBD.
- will there be a cacophony when both the HAM and the CB/GMRS are active in the same time? Or will one mute the other?

I'll update this if I discover any unexpected flaws, but as of now, I'm really happy with this set-up!!!

Old 12-21-2018
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JeepUniq View Post
...if someone talks, will I miss their first words for a sec? TBD...
that's the main question i had when i first heard of these type of devices... be sure to let us know how it goes!
Old 12-22-2018
(Dan) (KJ7DAN)
Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
that's the main question i had when i first heard of these type of devices... be sure to let us know how it goes!
Good news: the delay is almost imperceptible, almost impossible to detect. Also, receiving simultaneously CB and HAM works as configured: HAM in the front driver speaker, CB in the front passenger's.

Lastly, I can't stop singing praises for the President Johnny CB. Whomever is complaining about lousy CB sound quality, like I was when I had the Cobra 75, doesn't know how good the President sounds. HAM quality.