Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 04-01-2013
Basic Member

Vehicle: 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Default WJ Transfer case (nv247)
has any one had issues with the 247?
I thought I had strange noises coming from the front diff, But out playing over the weekend Jason seamed to think it was more the t/c. On the very last contour bank of the climb he was looking under the car and said the front driveshaft looked like it was ratcheting rataer than being locked (wich I belivie it should be in low range). When we played one of the vids back the front wheels did seam to be only working when they wanted to.

The first Grand that I had in 04-05 I belive the chain had streatched in it, But I usualy just let the Quadra Drive do its thing(was never realy happy whith it) now I tend to use the brakes to force the diffs to lock. Am I just putting to much strain on the system or are they just noisy? I drove the black jeep up onto a stump this arvo to see if the case was any better in it to swap it over. It was quiet when going onto the stump but then there were some noises after i got back on the ground to drive it back home, still had to use the brakes wouldn't drive up with just the Q/D.

I'm thinking I will probably pull the T/C from the black Jeep, Pull it down & rebuild it. Are the 242's any stronger or if I swap one in will it just do the same thing?

Thoughts, questions, coments
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg P1000485.JPG (163.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 04-01-2013
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WJ Transfer case (nv247)
the limited slips are clutch based, they aren't going to fully lock up the same as a automatic locker would. that said, they did work well for me with stock tires and for a while with 33's. you do HAVE to run the friction modifier in the diff oil or they won't do much at all. you also can wear them out with big tires.

i never had any problems with the 247 pulling as i expected it to when in 4-lo "part-time". the 4-hi "full-time" is only an AWD and also clutch based therefore it won't provide positive lock and i guess could wear out. the t-case needs the correct oil/friction-modifier as well. 4-lo is supposed to be a true "part-time" but i don't know mechanically how it's achieved in the 247 and if it could slip.

the 242-HD provides an AWD, as well as a fully-locking 4-hi and 4-lo. i've never had any problems with mine. it is rated slightly stronger than the 247 (2,028 ft-lbs max torque versus 1,800). i wanted a "real" 4-hi and a SYE so i went with this case.

i never had any strange noises from the diffs or t-case with either the 247 or 242 in and factory limited slips. i think bradywgn on here is still running the 247 without any issues on his modified rig.
Old 04-01-2013
Basic Member

thanks Kris.

the back diff seams to work fine, but iI have not changed the oil in it. The front diff has the correct oil and friction modifier. the T/C had atf in it (I think jeep resolved that some time in 99 and it came out of a 2001 model so I guess it had been incorrectly serviced) I now have the mopar T/C fluid in it.
The torque figures you stated, are all the T/Cs the same or were the v8 ones rared higher than the xj ones?
Old 04-01-2013
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Perhaps this link will help answer some of your questions...

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

As for the ratcheting noises, It sounds as if you may have damage either to the chain, or the 4-lo locking gear teeth. I would suspect the chain would be more probable that damaged 4-low, but anything is possible, and VERY difficult to diagnose via the inter web.
Old 04-02-2013
(Ryan)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0, 1993 Jeep Cherokee
You may want to check the drive shaft at the front cv. Not sure it is the same on the V8 but when I blew out the front cv it was making the same type of ratcheting noise. Mine is the 4.0 but it might be the same problem.
Old 04-02-2013
(Ryan)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0, 1993 Jeep Cherokee
This is what mine looked like. Notice the small pieces pushing out around the top by the mounting holes.
image.jpg

Last edited by tucsonWJ; 04-02-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-02-2013
Basic Member

Thanks.

OB1, on reading wjjeeps again now Im thinking it might be "on demand" in low range to.

Ryan, Ive got a D/C front shaft in my car but now that you mention it I will check the shaft in the black one.