Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 01-04-2010
(Virgil) (K7VZ)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Default Ham Radio Info
Here is a link to a self study how to that I wrote: http://4x4ham.ning.com/page/introduc...-amateur-radio

My plans are to eventually put together a handful of 5-10 minute instructional videos. Feel free to ask questions if you have them.
Old 01-04-2010
(George)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: Number 7
Default Re: Ham Radio Info
Thanks George
4:88 Gears / Super 35 Rear
Dana 30 Front w/ Warn Hubs
TeraLow 4:1 T-Case
OX Lockers

Every Dog Has His Day!
Old 01-04-2010
(Virgil) (K7VZ)
Basic Member

If you are not the self study type, this link will show you all upcoming/active classes in AZ. None listed at this time, so keep checking back. http://www.arrl.org/FandES/courses/?state=AZ
Old 01-04-2010
(JARHEAD) (KE7TOG)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 93 YJ(LM7)
The classes are painful at best. Bamse and I sat in one for 6 Saturdays and we learned more studying the questions the day of our test than we did all class. From what I remember Slider also had a moderate experience with the class. I am sur eit is all in the instructor though.

I think if you could make quick instructional videos, that would be an incredible asset!
Old 01-04-2010
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
thanks for posting all that info in one place!

i'm making january/feburary my goal to finish studying and get my certification. i already bought a radio so i can start listening to the lingo, still have to get it installed though!

i, like grunt, found the class to be painfully slow, and am much more of a cram-session type person. i know that sometime in the last couple years there was a one-day class with certification test at the end - that sounded like a good idea. i think it was put on by some part of the homeland security department to help get their people all trained and certified, but was open to the public as well.
Old 01-04-2010
(Virgil) (K7VZ)
Basic Member

I'm also not a fan of the classes, but some people learn better in that environment. I personally consider the minimum amount of training to be buying the book, study content and questions, and pass the test. Yes, you can download the questions and memorize them enough to simply pass the test, but you will be a poor amateur radio operator. If interested in ham radio, I would like to see people make more of an effort to learn good operating practices.
Old 02-04-2010
(Lyle) (KC7IPY)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 1986 Toyota 4Runner and 2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
"The No-Nonsense, No-Code Technician Class License Study Guide"

I have found the KB6NU study guide to be very effective. My son used this study guide to pass his tech license exam at age 14. At 50 pages, it is a nice compromise between trying to read the more traditional ham radio books and only studying the question pool. Best part: it is free!

http://kb6nu.com/tech-manual/
Old 02-13-2010
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport
I've been using hamtestonline.com to study for my test.
Old 02-15-2010
(Paul) (KG7HQN)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Thanks, that self study guide was great. After I read through it I got over 90% on the first practice test that I took. I've now taken the practice tests enough times that I usualy only miss one if I miss any at all. I'm pretty sure that I can now pass the test with no problems.

I found that I understand most of the topics, but there are a few questions that I was just memorizing the answers. So being the curious person that I am I just bought the ARRL Technician study guide from the local Barnes and Nobel. I've only just gotten through the introductory sections, but am anxious to get to the meat sections.