Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 02-06-2015
Basic Member

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-250 CCSB
Default how to get Ham radio license?
Looking into it. Been in some areas where I want the option of more ways to communicate then a cell phone. Will be installing a cb radio aswell. I figure more options is better. I got the room in the f250!
Old 02-06-2015
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 97 Jeep Wrangler
Default Re: how to get Ham radio license?
Easiest way is to take/study the on line tests. They are pulled from the actual bank of test questions used on the official test. That is what I did, as well as buying a book and studying it. The actual test was pretty easy.
I think that reading the book was the best way to go because I got a better understanding of what the test questions were asking vs just memorizing the questions/answers.
There are several sites on the web, this is one : http://hamexam.org/

www.4x4ham.com would be a good resource for you as well.

Curly
Old 02-06-2015
(W7REY)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 12 JGC
I used https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/ and considering doing the next level but that might make me buy more ham gear, not good for the pocket
Old 02-06-2015
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
I used https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/ and I liked the way the software worked because it re-tested me on the subjects I struggled with, so those were reinforced in my brain. I practiced everyday for about an hour, and then when I was continually above the 80% mark, I made arrangements to sit for the exam. Then I practiced a little extra the few days before and the day of. It was easy.
Old 02-06-2015
Basic Member

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-250 CCSB
Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
I used https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/ and I liked the way the software worked because it re-tested me on the subjects I struggled with, so those were reinforced in my brain. I practiced everyday for about an hour, and then when I was continually above the 80% mark, I made arrangements to sit for the exam. Then I practiced a little extra the few days before and the day of. It was easy.
Nice! Thanks! I'll also be buying the book.