Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2016 JKU
Default Re: JK Wrangler Push-to-Start, Hands-Free Keyless Entry & Remote Start
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
on the JK there are 2 long torx and 1 short phillips screws on the bottom of the column shroud, and then just some plastic tabs/snaps that come apart fairly easily.

Viper sells an alarm that does proximity unlock/lock using the Bluetooth signal from your phone, no idea if it works well.

i'm not aware of any similar generic add-on modules that could easily work with the Easyguard... not saying they don't exist, i just haven't seen one yet. it seems more like companies go either fob (RFID) OR Bluetooth for prox sensors, not both.

on a related note - i have considered adding a smart-phone based remote start since the range on the fob kind of sucks. we'll see how serious i get about it once summer comes! there are 2 or 3 companies with generic modules for cellular based remote start, i was looking at DroneMobile in particular.

i think i would have to get one of their older modules that had direct/hard-wire outputs though. their newer products seem to only have serial interfaces... but in our case the Omegalink has to be in hard-wire mode which disables its serial interface (because it uses some of the same wires).
Thank you both ...again for all the informatio and feedback. I will come back as my build begins.

Last edited by matts74; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:58 PM. Reason: Sloppy spelling.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Basic Member

Vehicle: Wrangler
More success today, with some other failures....

Got the LED wired in and got the responses from the system. Configured the system and saw all the right flashes at the right time. However, to get this far, I had to do some soldering of the wires and used the 115v outlet on the Jeep without cranking the engine, which I think killed the battery. Jumped it and got it running again, but every time I try to start the system with the push button, the battery drains out again. So now, I'll be using the factory key until I can get a new battery put in. Ordered a Optima YellowTop.

Have you noticed the system putting an extra strain on your battery system? Or is it just my battery/bad luck?

Will update.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Ballistix View Post
More success today, with some other failures....

Got the LED wired in and got the responses from the system. Configured the system and saw all the right flashes at the right time. However, to get this far, I had to do some soldering of the wires and used the 115v outlet on the Jeep without cranking the engine, which I think killed the battery. Jumped it and got it running again, but every time I try to start the system with the push button, the battery drains out again. So now, I'll be using the factory key until I can get a new battery put in. Ordered a Optima YellowTop.

Have you noticed the system putting an extra strain on your battery system? Or is it just my battery/bad luck?

Will update.
i haven't noticed anything weird with the battery, i'm still running the same Autozone battery that i had put in a while before i added this whole system.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Basic Member

on the JK there are 2 long torx and 1 short phillips screws on the bottom of the column shroud, and then just some plastic tabs/snaps that come apart fairly easily.

Viper sells an alarm that does proximity unlock/lock using the Bluetooth signal from your phone, no idea if it works well.

i'm not aware of any similar generic add-on modules that could easily work with the Easyguard... not saying they don't exist, i just haven't seen one yet. it seems more like companies go either fob (RFID) OR Bluetooth for prox sensors, not both.

on a related note - i have considered adding a smart-phone based remote start since the range on the fob kind of sucks. we'll see how serious i get about it once summer comes! there are 2 or 3 companies with generic modules for cellular based remote start, i was looking at DroneMobile in particular.

i think i would have to get one of their older modules that had direct/hard-wire outputs though. their newer products seem to only have serial interfaces... but in our case the Omegalink has to be in hard-wire mode which disables its serial interface (because it uses some of the same wires).
For the mobile phone remote start. I think you can simply add another bypass unit of your choice with links-lt2 or other unit similar. The bypass units are not visible by the CaN bus and should not interfere with each other.

Matt
Old 3 Weeks Ago
(Andrew)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Default Slow but methodical
I have been following this thread for quite some time now, ever since I first saw the demo video I knew I wanted to take on this project for myself. I missed these features that I had in my previous Grand Cherokee before I traded in and upgraded to the Wrangler. As great as the Wrangler is, the interior is a downgrade for sure. This solves the most of that problem.

So over the last month or longer I have been acquiring the parts for the install and got started this last weekend. It took me forever just to get the steering wheel shroud off the back of my steering wheel. It has this dumb lip that goes inside the housing on the back of the wheel and is hard as hell to get off, especially when you are paranoid you are going to break something.

Anyways, I started the build but I have been taking my time, going back and reading over and over as I go and trying not too miss anything. I don't want to screw up anything on my jeep, especially since I am not a mechanic or electrician. I have been researching stuff but this is like a crash course for me.

At this point I have all the wires connected to each other per the instructions, I'm currently at the process of connecting the resistors together in series, I was going to just twist them together, heat shrink them, and wrap them up together in electrical tape but my inner voice tells me to soder them. So I probably will do that.

However I can't find anywhere in the documentation that says where the purple wire goes that runs alongside the green/red one that the resistors connect to, Im sure it is an obvious answer but if someone could humor me with the answer I would appreciate it.

After that I can put it all in, connect the grounds, horn, wire for the break line, install the push to start button (I decided to keep it at the ignition), connect the antennas and proximity sensor and keypad. Mine came with the proximity sensor in place to the wires, I plan on plugging it in as is and the wires that would have gone there go to ground I hope. Hopefully Im not missing anything. any additional advise or something I might be missing feel free to let me know. BTW I cut the lip off the back of the steering wheel shroud so I don't have to deal with that again. Here are some pictures. I know it aint the neatest.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg icRn29LrQGiqIPyf8Ar+rg.jpg (64.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg jVYwW77KRxqpyNE4X9K3mg.jpg (208.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg GN8AniVoQcaH3+Bf6E7tFw.jpg (39.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg dUrDq848QRSCAiQR8FnZlw.jpg (30.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by andrew.dubois; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Basic Member

I've started my build with a few different goals and components than Kris used.

1) I got the Easyguard 002-k-ns: this unit is identical to the 002-k but comes with a shock sensor in place of the 3pin easy-guard connector that supplies the bypass unit with Ground When Running. Ground when running is critical to tell the immobilizer bypass to allow the remote start.

2) I have both the omega bypass unit with t-cable Kris used and fortin evo-all (CHR.T5). My goal is to use the Fortin, and document the connection and configuration for everyone. There is an advanced feature with the fortin that may be an advantage (see #3)

3) I have a crimestopper mobile phone based remote start, "Teleconnect" that utilizes the serial data bus for connection to the bypass module. The omega uses the serial port with hardwire install to have GWR in available. Advanced feature of the fortin EVO. It does not repurpose the data port for anything and offers both hardwire and data port install together.

As of now, I have the easyguard PKE, and button press, lock and unlock working properly. I didn't connect GWR because I didn't want my car starting unexpectedly until I could observe the behaviors of the easyguard analog connect. I made this choice thanks to the precise documentation that was provided by Kris, and the post from Ballistx indicating he didn't have start working. It gave me the thought that I could wire this up in phases to verify what was working and what was not in smaller bits of the job that I can complete at night after work, and keep the jeep on the road to get to the office.

The fortin internal bypass and lock-lock-lock seem to be functioning properly.

The easyguard push to start button seems to be functioning as expected with brake press, but I won't know more until I make the GWR connection to the fortin bypass module tonight

I have not connected the crimestopper - it looks to be very easy

I have been documenting along the way, and I will share my work with everyone so that we can discuss pros/cons of each install method and improve upon our work. The

Thanks,
Matt
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Basic Member

Originally Posted by andrew.dubois View Post
Mine came with the proximity sensor in place to the wires, I plan on plugging it in as is and the wires that would have gone there go to ground I hope. Hopefully Im not missing anything. any additional advise or something I might be missing feel free to let me know. BTW I cut the lip off the back of the steering wheel shroud so I don't have to deal with that again. Here are some pictures. I know it aint the neatest.

If you got the Shock sensor model, make sure you follow step 9 of the EASYGUARD wiring manual to provide ground when running (GWR) to the omega bypass. There is no GWR coming from the EC002-k-ns model, and you will need to create it using a relay on the ignition acc/run wires and ground.

Matt
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: JK Wrangler Push-to-Start, Hands-Free Keyless Entry & Remote Start
Originally Posted by matts74 View Post
I've started my build with a few different goals and components than Kris used.

1) I got the Easyguard 002-k-ns: this unit is identical to the 002-k but comes with a shock sensor in place of the 3pin easy-guard connector that supplies the bypass unit with Ground When Running. Ground when running is critical to tell the immobilizer bypass to allow the remote start.

2) I have both the omega bypass unit with t-cable Kris used and fortin evo-all (CHR.T5). My goal is to use the Fortin, and document the connection and configuration for everyone. There is an advanced feature with the fortin that may be an advantage (see #3)

3) I have a crimestopper mobile phone based remote start, "Teleconnect" that utilizes the serial data bus for connection to the bypass module. The omega uses the serial port with hardwire install to have GWR in available. Advanced feature of the fortin EVO. It does not repurpose the data port for anything and offers both hardwire and data port install together.

As of now, I have the easyguard PKE, and button press, lock and unlock working properly. I didn't connect GWR because I didn't want my car starting unexpectedly until I could observe the behaviors of the easyguard analog connect. I made this choice thanks to the precise documentation that was provided by Kris, and the post from Ballistx indicating he didn't have start working. It gave me the thought that I could wire this up in phases to verify what was working and what was not in smaller bits of the job that I can complete at night after work, and keep the jeep on the road to get to the office.

The fortin internal bypass and lock-lock-lock seem to be functioning properly.

The easyguard push to start button seems to be functioning as expected with brake press, but I won't know more until I make the GWR connection to the fortin bypass module tonight

I have not connected the crimestopper - it looks to be very easy

I have been documenting along the way, and I will share my work with everyone so that we can discuss pros/cons of each install method and improve upon our work. The

Thanks,
Matt

this is awesome, can't wait to hear how the Fortin/Easyguard/Teleconnect all works out - especially since i'd also like to add a cellular remote start at some point. you might want to create a new thread to document the Fortin wiring, just so folks don't get confused with both methods being discussed in the same thread.

i actually have one recurring problem with my setup that i need to troubleshoot and document. depending on what the solution ends up being, then the Fortin might be the way to go from the start for others...

when my rig sits overnight and the temp gets down into the 30's, the push-to-start button will start the rig but it shuts down after a second. basically the same exact problem that happens if you haven't yet extended that "prolong crank time" setting.

when this happens, i just have to start it with the key. after maybe 20 minutes of driving around and letting things warm up, then if i stop somewhere everything will work again as it should when i go to start it again.

i haven't had a chance to troubleshoot because here in Phoenix the temps getting below 40 all night is fairly rare. even with this year's uncommonly harsh winter, it's only been a handful of times. also, the problem doesn't happen if i last drove it fairly late at night and so it didn't sit the full night in the cold. thus, the problem hasn't occurred on a day when i've had time to troubleshoot yet.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Basic Member

this is awesome, can't wait to hear how the Fortin/Easyguard/Teleconnect all works out - especially since i'd also like to add a cellular remote start at some point. you might want to create a new thread to document the Fortin wiring, just so folks don't get confused with both methods being discussed in the same thread.

Once my build is done and the docs are in order I will start a fresh thread, good idea. I may reference your work in this thread because you have detailed both the disassembly of the Jeep steering column and interlock, easyguard wiring and positioning of the PKE sensors very well.

A question on your build - assume you spliced and reversed the green and blue LED wires somewhere in the pushbutton to get the alternating lights. Can you confirm?

Matt
Old 2 Weeks Ago
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by matts74 View Post
A question on your build - assume you spliced and reversed the green and blue LED wires somewhere in the pushbutton to get the alternating lights. Can you confirm?

one of the 3 wires to the main push-to-start button is a common ground, and the other 2 wires are the positive feeds for each of the 2 colors. you could certainly just swap the 2 positive leads to reverse the current colors.

the custom lighting i've got going was one of those little touches that took way more effort than anyone else would probably think is sane! when my engine is off, i just have green text, then when it's running i have green text and the little amber indicator.

i may be forgetting some detail, but the gist of it is that i swapped all of the little surface mount LEDs inside the button for white ones, then used permanent marker to color the inside of the button 2 different colors to match the factory green & amber scheme.

there were 4 or 5 LED's per color spread around a little PCB inside the button to light it evenly. there were 2 LED's in each spot, 1 for the "ready" color and one for the "engine running" color.

under the little indicator area (top of button), i only left the LED for the "engine running" color (but still swapped to white). in that spot i removed the "ready" color LED completely and bridged those connectors with solder. i then had to add a resistor to the lead for that set of LEDs to make up for the missing LED.

the surface mount LEDs are insanely tiny, one wrong exhale and they go flying. i had to use a magnifying glass and tweezers along with a precision tip on the soldering iron, and still did a pretty crappy job soldering!

i did not take a photo of the PCB, but here is the inside of the button itself after i colored it: