Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 08-26-2015
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What did you do to your rig today?
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Finished the timing chain job. Took a while waiting on parts. I replaced every rubber hose under the hood, replaced the oil and water pump (couldn't find the correct fuel pump). Removed and resealed the intake manifold and put new Valve cover gaskets in. I found the PO had put the Valve covers on without any gaskets, just a very thin layer of RTV. No wonder it leaked.
Replaced the Heater core as well. Fixed the Cruise control.
I also pulled the entire A/C system. I'm going to replace the lines as well as the TXV and Receiver Drier. Still waiting on parts.
It ran good before, but it very nice now. I've been busy.
way to attack that project!
Old 08-26-2015
(Loren)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Lot of work but you should be good for another 20 years!
Old 08-27-2015
(Rick)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep JK 2dr. Willys Wheeler
Very nice, great job!

Rick
Old 08-27-2015
(Jim)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 LJ
Nice work Tim!
Old 09-03-2015
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 97 Jeep Wrangler
Installed a relay box that I got from Pack Mule adventures, one of the club's sponsors. This one: http://pma4x4.com/product/relay-box/
From the day I drove it home from Prescott, I've had problems with the lights turning off and on while driving. I guess FSJ's have a rep for bad headlight switches. Anyway, I wired the high and low beams through the relay box and ran new 12 gauge wires and headlight plugs. I did find the headlights were Hella H4 lights, so a nice surprise there. Nice and bright now. So far, no more morse code headlights.

I also rewired the existing KC lights through the relay box. I replaced the existing wire on this set up and found several area of exposed wire. Wrapped it up in split loom to make it purty.

Curly
Old 09-06-2015
Basic Member

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-250 CCSB
Brought my truck to the body shop for a jack knife accident.
Old 09-30-2015
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
On Point Performance and Offroad has my rig. along with several small things that need some TLC, i decided to make the constantly leaking valve covers Joe's problem this time instead of me tackling them yet again. he called earlier this morning to let me know that Mopar has a "problem solver" gasket kit with slightly thicker ones which he'd be putting on - here's hoping that helps.

i didn't have a chance to remove any of my mods before i dropped it off to him, so he also called to curse me for having wedged 20 pounds of crap into a 2 pound box - or something like that
Old 10-02-2015
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

I went to the Upick it in Prescott last week and picked up a set of seats from a 92 Ford Exploder and a center console from a 92 Suburban. I installed the seats in the Chief today. Almost a direct bolt in. Pulled the ford seat base off, put the Jeep base against the bottom, lined up the front bolt hole. Had to drill and tap the rear hole. They fit nice and feel good. The junk I took out was uncomfortable and the drivers side seat had a broken frame.
I also pulled the rear seat. It is not going back in, this will be our expedition vehicle. I did find I can lay down inside with the tailgate closed and still have ~6 inches of room.

We ordered new seat covers and carpet for the front. I post pics when it is all done.

Curly
Old 10-02-2015
(Tim/Curly) (KF7INL)
Premium Club Member

I've also been working on the paint. I was hoping to get more of a shine out of it, but it is still better than it was. I did this by hand because I don't know how to use a power buffer and was afraid I'd go right through the paint.
I used a clay bar, 2 coats of #7 wax and then 2 coats of Carnuba wax. I've only done the roof and hood so far. My arms are tired!

Before

After (what looks like zebra stripes are the rafters)

Curly
Old 10-02-2015
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

nice work Tim - looks like hard work too!