Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Old 02-13-2011
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
Default Re: What did you do to your rig today?
Originally Posted by dzJeepChic View Post
Teaser shot:

HMMMMM This would not have anything to do with keeping mud off the windshield would it...
Old 02-14-2011
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Originally Posted by ob1jeeper View Post
HMMMMM This would not have anything to do with keeping mud off the windshield would it...
The windshield, the windows, the roof, the door handles, yes, it would.

Today Clifford and I went into Scottsdale together and turned some heads. I don't know why, but people stare at that Jeep! Oh, and we gathered the rest of our Mojave Road Trip provisions. d
Old 02-14-2011
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2003 Nissan Frontier
Completed the fridge mounts!

Put the screen on the window so I can vent the camper when I sleep!

Finally drilled the holes and bolted camper shell, no more C clamps!

Also changed the oil, still running AMSOIL 5w30 w/new filter
Old 02-14-2011
(Paul) (KG7HQN)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I finally got around to installing my touch screen monitor. It's mounted in front of the radio, but will swivel up so that I can get to the radio controls. Now the laptop sits snuggly between the seat and center console instead of flopping around on the passenger seat.

Attached Images:
File Type: jpg DSCF124125.JPG (93.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 02-14-2011
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JKGoose View Post
I finally got around to installing my touch screen monitor. It's mounted in front of the radio, but will swivel up so that I can get to the radio controls. Now the laptop sits snuggly between the seat and center console instead of flopping around on the passenger seat.
very nice goose!

hey i see you are running delorme topo... when you pan maps does it take a sec to draw the new area you panned to? my garmin mapsource just hides the roads and cities but leaves the main part of the map as you pan so that you have a smooth experience. whereas my delorme (topo 9) just feels clunky when moving around, both on my laptop and desktop - wondering if there is a setting or if my video cards just suck?
Old 02-14-2011
(Diane) (KD7JPC)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: '92 XJ
Radio Re: What did you do to your rig today?
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
very nice goose!

hey i see you are running delorme topo... when you pan maps does it take a sec to draw the new area you panned to? my garmin mapsource just hides the roads and cities but leaves the main part of the map as you pan so that you have a smooth experience. whereas my delorme (topo 9) just feels clunky when moving around, both on my laptop and desktop - wondering if there is a setting or if my video cards just suck?

I am 'no clue' about anything GPS, but I do remember that Goose was the only guy with current topos when we scouted the Log Corral the 1st time. I'm hoping the delay K is speaking of is video card related and that delorme is my answer next time I shop GPS even though less than current topos is not my only complaint with the Garmin I have. d
Old 02-14-2011
(Steve) (KG7EWF)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: CJ7 - OlBlue
The windshield, the windows, the roof, the door handles, yes, it would.

Today Clifford and I went into Scottsdale together and turned some heads. I don't know why, but people stare at that Jeep! Oh, and we gathered the rest of our Mojave Road Trip provisions. d
So we gonna get to see some pics of these new mud-stoppers
Old 02-15-2011
(Paul) (KG7HQN)
Premium Club Member

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
very nice goose!

I am 'no clue' about anything GPS, but I do remember that Goose was the only guy with current topos when we scouted the Log Corral the 1st time. I'm hoping the delay K is speaking of is video card related and that delorme is my answer next time I shop GPS even though less than current topos is not my only complaint with the Garmin I have. d
The map redraw is very slow on my computer. About 4 seconds anytime you pan or zoom. I haven't seen Delorme on a different (better) computer, but I'm assuming it would be faster. I'm running it on a netbook with an Intel Atom 270 processor, and who-knows-what video. It's a slow computer, but it will run on the battery for about 6 hours.

The other problem with Delorme, is that the GUI is designed to be used in an office environment, not on a touch screen in a moving vehicle. The buttons and menus are all way too small.

I do like the Delorme though. It has nice terrain shading that shows even when you have a topo overlay, and it also has a nice 3-D mode.

I have the data download subscription so that I can download unlimited topos and aerial and satellite photos.
Old 02-15-2011
(Rob) (KF7NVK)
Basic Member

Vehicle: 2008 JK Rescue Green
The map redraw is very slow on my computer. About 4 seconds anytime you pan or zoom. I haven't seen Delorme on a different (better) computer, but I'm assuming it would be faster. I'm running it on a netbook with an Intel Atom 270 processor, and who-knows-what video. It's a slow computer, but it will run on the battery for about 6 hours.

The other problem with it, is that the GUI is designed to be used in an office environment, not on a touch screen in a moving vehicle. The buttons and menus are all way too small.

I do like the Delorme though. It has nice terrain shading that shows even when you have a topo overlay, and it also has a nice 3-D mode.

I have the data download subscription so that I can download unlimited topos and aerial and satellite photos.
Paul, where did you get your screen from?
Old 02-15-2011
(Kristoffer) (K1KRS)
Co-Founder

Vehicle: 2016 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Reputation: theksmith will become famous soon enoughReputation: theksmith will become famous soon enough

The other problem with Delorme, is that the GUI is designed to be used in an office environment, not on a touch screen in a moving vehicle. The buttons and menus are all way too small.

ok thanks, yeah even on my desktop machine it takes nearly 2 seconds for a full screen pan... yet i can zoom around in google earth smoothly in full 3D or pan Garmin MapSource without any issues... Delorme's map's are much nicer looking than Garmin's and I haven't purchased the subscription for downloading unlimited extras, but that's nice too... however overall the Delorme Software is overly complicated, not standards based, and just a PITA to use. but i haven't found anything better yet, so ugg!

i will probably purchase Overland Navigator when i upgrade my HAM unit as it will work bi-directionally with it for APRS features... but it still uses just raster maps and therefore has no routing capabilities, so i'll still need to run Delorme or MS Streets & Trips for routing.

on topic - all i did was wash my rig and sand some bondo