Welcome, Guest.
Register Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Offroad Passport Community Forum!

This is a community for planning and discussing offroad adventures. All makes and models of offroad vehicles are welcome! Multi-day expedition-style trips are our main focus, but there are plenty of day runs, clinics, and tech-days as well.

The forum is free for Basic Membership! Optional Premium Membership includes such perks as exclusive professionally organized trips and events. Please note that you may view the forum as a guest, but will need to register in order to post or to access certain areas of the site.

Note: If you are already a registered member, please login to remove this message.

View Thread

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2014
(Michael)
Basic Member

Vehicle: "Pegasus" 1999 Jeep WJ 4.7L
Default Big Tuna's "Building the Dub!"
I picked up my 99 WJ almost 2 years ago (gosh, time flies!), after my 94 ZJ was rear-ended, and pretty much turned into an accordion. It had had only one previous owner, who had taken fantastic care of it, though it hadn't been driven in nearly 7 years! That being said, at 45k miles, it had never seen dirt. When I bought it, it got a full front-to-back fluids change, of course.

462278_2530654845382_644713773_o.jpg
(day one)

The previous owner had already equipped it with a 2"BB and the Westin safari/light bar. From day one, I was unsure of what I would change on it. Of course, it is stuck as my daily driver, and it stayed that way for a while, until the off-road adventure bug really bit me.

On an overcast day in January of 2013, I rolled her off the pavement for the first time and set off on a trail I had been on when I was younger.

737649_3588068960074_1556644408_o.jpg
...and that is where this build began.

Once summer came, the radiator went, and would shoot hot antifreeze 5ish feet straight forward out of the front of the grill when you shut the vehicle off. That's where it started. After I replaced the radiator, I began to develop a list of things I wanted to do with the Jeep. I started pricing parts, and figuring out how I wanted to proceed. basic things got done pretty quick. Speakers got replaced, and then the stock Casette/CD player (which would etch a lovely pattern into my CDs and then eject them with an "ERR" code) was replaced with a Clarion CZ302, and in November I did a driveshaft conversion. If you have a Rezeppa-Rezeppa driveshaft, it is worth EVERY penny to convert to a U-joint/CV Driveshaft. The vehicle drives MUCH quieter, and there is much less vibration.

Shortly after this, I got the opportunity to run the Backway to Crown King.
IMAGE00034 (1024x768).jpg
This was my first opportunity to really test my rig. The experience was INCREDIBLE! I made some new friends, I learned a whole lot about off highway driving, and about what I needed to improve and change on the rig.
I then solidified a starting game plan of what I wanted to do with the Dub.

-Phase 1- (complete!)
Various tweaks and changes prepping the jeep for Phase 2

-Phase 2-
CB Install (complete!)
Lift (IRO 3" lift- Complete!)
New tires (Complete)
Roof rack (Complete!)
Rock rails
Underbody armor
various aesthetic and mechanical tweaks

-Phase "2.5" (or the parts Phase 2 forgot)-
Dual battery setup (Done!)
Infinity amp replacement (Done at last)
Rear tire solution
LED/HID conversion
Additional lighting

-Phase 3-
Transfer Case Swap
Long arm conversion
Who knows?

Last edited by BigTuna117; 07-17-2018 at 05:42 PM.